• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

Good morning! I’m totally a novice and enjoy reading here and getting excited with all of you!  Trying to learn!  What model does Al Roker use?!   I don’t watch to get my local weather but thought it was interesting to see he only had the northern portions of New England getting big numbers.  We weren’t getting much of anything based on his map.  

Thanks for the banter!  Love reading!  

7 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

That's funny. I think most people in this thread have him on ignore so that's probably why he thinks it's so quiet. The guy has been nothing but a troublemaker over the years and not worth the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just love internet tough guys trolling.  Got a problem with me friend? I never once mentioned anyone by name here.  Let's keep it about the weather and not get personal.

36 minutes ago, lwg8tr0514 said:

I have not read anything in the Central Pa thread about this AM's models to make me bag it and say it's a 38 degree rainstorm.  The GFS model seems to be the only one who wants to be the turd in the punchbowl and say its slop south of I-80, that seems to be an outlier.  Now the local mets are calling for 4-8", I just looked at my local weather app.  

I'm not trying to be a downer, but your location says Cranberry Twp, you are North and East of the City. If I were you I would be confident, anyone from Butler / Armstrong county NE is probably going to get mostly snow, that's favored by climatology in these storms. For those South of there though where the mix line sets up is critical as always. Until the GFS and Euro camp settle on a general outcome making any definitive statements like anyone from Washington county north gets a foot is not wise. You may end up right, but doesn't necessarily mean your logic to reach that conclusion was correct.

The Euro control and EPS both were north of the OP this morning.  That's a bit of a red flag at this juncture.  I'd bet even the Euro and Ukie maps - which look decent enough - look much worse if you filter out sleet.  The NAM basically gives the metro area a foot of sleet.  Wouldn't surprise me much if a lot of that turns to rain in real-time.  My confidence is waning.

I haven't jumped off the bridge just yet, but I have my toes to the edge.

50 minutes ago, stjbeautifulday said:

Good morning! I’m totally a novice and enjoy reading here and getting excited with all of you!  Trying to learn!  What model does Al Roker use?!   I don’t watch to get my local weather but thought it was interesting to see he only had the northern portions of New England getting big numbers.  We weren’t getting much of anything based on his map.  

Thanks for the banter!  Love reading!  

AFAIK, Al Roker isn't even a meteorologist.  He has a B.A. in Communications.  The people behind the scenes are probably using the GFS mostly, or some kind of blend.

Right now, though, most of the models aren't on our side if you're looking for heavy snowfall.

10 minutes ago, jwilson said:

The Euro control and EPS both were north of the OP this morning.  That's a bit of a red flag at this juncture.  I'd bet even the Euro and Ukie maps - which look decent enough - look much worse if you filter out sleet.  The NAM basically gives the metro area a foot of sleet.  Wouldn't surprise me much if a lot of that turns to rain in real-time.  My confidence is waning.

I haven't jumped off the bridge just yet, but I have my toes to the edge.

...red flag in hand...

red flag.jpg

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Not seeing any favorable changes on the GFS.. actually may be a bit worse. But I'll let it run through before getting irritated lol

Thought 6z looked a little better and maybe it was converging to euro and ukie. 12z looks like a big step back.

6 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Thought 6z looked a little better and maybe it was converging to euro and ukie. 12z looks like a big step back.

Yeah... this won't work lol

NWS will be issuing watches.. for small creek and stream flooding. :facepalm:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10.png

I just did the 24 hour snow accumulation to keep the 1-2 from today off the map.. Pretty deflating, but maybe an inch on the back end.

gfs_asnow24_neus_8.png

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

The low does something weird on the gfs it maybe right but I cant see a low doing what it did. Come one euro and UK youre our only hope. 

"The GFS really should not be holding onto that LP over Pittsburgh like it is.

gfs_z500_vort_eus_12.png

The 500mb would not be able to exhaust a LP there anymore at this time and it should have gone off the Delmarva like the ICON. Not saying it should be as snowy as the ICON or that the ICON is right, just saying looking at that 500mb, that LP should have pushed SE by hour 60 instead of running into Pittsburgh. Looking at 500 there CAN NOT be a LP underneath that, that is not the way the atmosphere exhausts to the SFC. But being that the GFS cannot pick up on mesoscale resolutions as well as others, it hangs onto the LP longer than it should because it doesn't yet see the next LP developing as fast as the mesoscale models."

I want to make sure that I give credit to who posted this. I thought it was very insightful. It comes from @snowwolf on the USA Weather thread. He is listed as a meteorologist. @Rd9108, might explain that weird action you mentioned on the GFS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

The low does something weird on the gfs it maybe right but I cant see a low doing what it did. Come one euro and UK youre our only hope. 

The Euro almost always beats the GFS... How many times have we had the GFS look good only to cave to the Euro.. Of course this time it will work the other way around with our luck.

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

"The GFS really should not be holding onto that LP over Pittsburgh like it is.

The 500mb would not be able to exhaust a LP there anymore at this time and it should have gone off the Delmarva like the ICON. Not saying it should be as snowy as the ICON or that the ICON is right, just saying looking at that 500mb, that LP should have pushed SE by hour 60 instead of running into Pittsburgh. Looking at 500 there CAN NOT be a LP underneath that, that is not the way the atmosphere exhausts to the SFC. But being that the GFS cannot pick up on mesoscale resolutions as well as others, it hangs onto the LP longer than it should because it doesn't yet see the next LP developing as fast as the mesoscale models."

I want to make sure that I give credit to who posted this. I thought it was very insightful. It comes from @snowwolf on the USA Weather thread. He is listed as a meteorologist. @Rd9108 might explain that weird action you mentioned on the GFS

I fully expected to see the GFS make a big jump towards the Euro, and Euro make a tiny movement towards the GFS placing the mix line precariously close, probably bisecting Allegheny county. I guess we will see if the Euro caves to the GFS or even makes a moderate adjustment towards that type of setup we are probably cooked.

Only hope and I mean the only hope is these models are off by a bit. Let's be honest they can only do so much when it comes to little details and in this situation 50 miles, 1 hour slower, 1 hour faster, quicker transfer. Any of these small factors can change us from cold rain to heavy snow like that. I'm definitely pessimistic and I'm leaning 80% rain/mix but I can see how the models bust in our favor. They aren't perfect and even the storm last week didnt have DC getting the 12 inches they got.