• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

Euro is brutal.  Over 65 miles, you go from 2 inches to 24.  Unfortunately, it's been somewhat consistent now.  I'd feel a lot better if it was flopping between solutions.  If we could ever get the blocking and this juiced southern stream to connect, we'd be fine, but we'll probably lose the moisture as soon as the blocking kicks in.

Weather Model

4 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Yep. All you can do is laugh at this point. This has happened to us so often over the years that I stopped getting worked up about it a long time ago. It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know how many times a storm hit and my parents that live in southern Armstrong get 6+ and I have slush 10 miles south. Growing up I never realized how good it was living there. Typically I don't get to worked up anymore either, but when we are missing 24 inches by 50 miles it's like salt in the wound.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

EUfkvuG.png

I'd be done for the year if this verified. I just once want to track a big storm that actually nails us. Is that too much to ask. 

I would be willing to bet the cutoff doesn’t show up like that. But yes what a gut punch that would be 

23 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Snow map didn't really budge from 0z.  It's actually funny, if you think about it.

It is very close to 00z, it did make an ever so slight improvement on totals to the SE, now gets almost 12+ into northern Allegheny, not sure how accurate that is though as these snow algorithms are pretty poor handling changeover situations.  I know it's just noise but man is it close.

11 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I don't know how many times a storm hit and my parents that live in southern Armstrong get 6+ and I have slush 10 miles south. Growing up I never realized how good it was living there. Typically I don't get to worked up anymore either, but when we are missing 24 inches by 50 miles it's like salt in the wound.

That’s interesting. I grew up a few miles south of the Armstrong border and never remembered doing that much better in these situations. It always seemed if the changeover was making it into the city it was inevitable we would change shortly after. I probably never had a consistent location to compare to like you did so that could be skewing my memory. 

9 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

It is very close to 00z, it did make an ever so slight improvement on totals to the SE, now gets almost 12+ into northern Allegheny, not sure how accurate that is though as these snow algorithms are pretty poor handling changeover situations.  I know it's just noise but man is it close.

I thought the stripe of max snow looked a little south from 00z as well. We’d still likely underperform on totals if that was the final outcome but that is close enough to keep things interesting for now. 

15 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

2 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I thought the stripe of max snow looked a little south from 00z as well. We’d still likely underperform on totals if that was the final outcome but that is close enough to keep things interesting for now. 

Euro hasn't locked in yet, but it's getting very "uncomfortable".

I know I'm sounding like the MA folks, but we can't afford another jog back to the NW tonight.

8 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I know I'm sounding like the MA folks, but we can't afford another jog back to the NW tonight.

Yes I am thinking similar. The storm is 4 days out and you wonder if it is totally locked in because there should be some movement. A little South and we get into the Pinks and get in on our fair share of snow. I just don't see it coming back. I wish it would but if anything a northwest jog would take the pink areas north of I-80. And historically how many times is I-80 the battle zone? 

It seems like when our area gets in on the big snows the greater area is south and east of us. Very rarely do we get in the southern edge of a big storm. It would be a nice change but I am pessimistic. :angry:

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

The problem is, the changeover is always underdone as to how far north it goes. I have seen plenty of systems where up till a day out we were supposed to be snow here, and even the day we were supposed to be the mix like...and the sleet/zr line made it all the way up to I-80. I was at SRU during the Valentine’s Day storm I thing in the mid 00’s and even Pittsburgh was supposed to be all snow but we mixed all the way up to there.

If that is what is showing now, I feel really pessimistic about a big snow event. I always push the mix line about 50 miles north.

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Yeah, it's usually pretty deadly accurate by day 3. That said, not sure a 50-75 mile track error is extreme at that range, problem is it could be 50-75 further NW.

There was a storm a few year ago that was consistently pegged to hammer the whole state of PA, then the last 2 days a piece of energy started showing up on guidance rotating around the PV that shoved the whole storm into the Mid Atlantic. Can't remember the year, but remember it was around the time everyone in the media started talking about the "Polar Vortex" as if it was something new.

25 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

PIT updated AFD long term says "it appears this low may track farther south allowing less warmer air to get pulled into the region and keeping more precipitation as snow". 

I saw this too. Maybe we have a weenie writing the AFD and they meant instead of "it appears" they meant "we are hoping" ????

• Like 1

Been here since 2009 and I caution any newbies lurking ignore most of the posters with 1000+ posts here, they are wrong 75% of the time, the schtick is to mope and complain they are not getting 30" of snow, how G*d is screwing them or some other nonsense.  We ran off the real Met(s) a while ago.  We are 4 days out and most people whose job it is to know, have no idea what is going to happen.  I point back to 2009 and up to 12 hours about 1/2 of the posters were poo-pooing that 30" monster we got(shall I call some you out?).  Have you snowblower test run and gassed up and get your salt by tomorrow. We are in for a storm of 8+ inches.  How much above 8" who knows.  Ignore all the model hugging mouth diarrhea. 

15 minutes ago, lwg8tr0514 said:

Been here since 2009 and I caution any newbies lurking ignore most of the posters with 1000+ posts here, they are wrong 75% of the time, the schtick is to mope and complain they are not getting 30" of snow, how G*d is screwing them or some other nonsense.  We ran off the real Met(s) a while ago.  We are 4 days out and most people whose job it is to know, have no idea what is going to happen.  I point back to 2009 and up to 12 hours about 1/2 of the posters were poo-pooing that 30" monster we got(shall I call some you out?).  Have you snowblower test run and gassed up and get your salt by tomorrow. We are in for a storm of 8+ inches.  How much above 8" who knows.  Ignore all the model hugging mouth diarrhea. 

Is this a Pittsburghrants troll account?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good thing I don’t have 1,000 posts yet ;)