...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 AM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest and western Pennsylvania, east
  central Ohio and northern and northern panhandle of West
  Virginia.

* WHEN...From noon today to 7 AM EST Sunday. The heaviest snow
  accumulation is expected during the late afternoon and evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will
cause primarily travel difficulties. Expect snow covered roads
and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Please report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the
NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

6 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Let’s hope the visual north trend!on radar doesn’t get squashed as it moves east....

I'm already looking past this storm for the next one. Although today's storm might have some surprises left especially for those that are gonna get hit by the coastal. 

7 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I'm already looking past this storm for the next one. Although today's storm might have some surprises left especially for those that are gonna get hit by the coastal. 

Yeah If my yard ends up with 2 I’ll take that as a win. Seems the last couple years the zone between I70 and I80 get caught between one way or another. NWS does hint at some possible upside though:

Latest guidance shows decent continuity with previous runs in
respect to moisture, lift, and thermal profiles but have trended
slightly farther north. Based off forecast QPF amounts and snow
ratios still expect a broad 3-4 inches in general along I-70
to the south...lower amounts to the north...and between 4 and 5
(locally higher) accumulations in the higher elevations of
Tucker, Preston, and Garrett counties. Ensemble guidance and
analogs all support this general scenario as well, but higher
res models seem to be picking up on a band farther north roughly
between PGH and I-80 where we could see some enhancement as the
associated mid/upper low shears and an area of deformation
possibly sets up by early evening. With that...have bumped up
amounts slightly across northern zones and expanded the Winter
Weather Advisory. Late afternoon and through the evening looks
to be the timeframe when accumulations will be greatest...easing
after midnight. Advisories are still set to end Sunday morning.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Saw the most recent NAM and IKON and both have our corner in lighter amounts with heavy to east in somerset and west into OH....figures-whT is it about our corner? The way the apps transfer energy and we end up in a hole?

Energy dying as it enters Western Pa and then the coastal is too far to the east to affect us. We literally need perfect set ups to score big. Whereas the coast can sneeze and as long as it's cold they can get a big storm. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Energy dying as it enters Western Pa and then the coastal is too far to the east to affect us. We literally need perfect set ups to score big. Whereas the coast can sneeze and as long as it's cold they can get a big storm. 

1 hour ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Saw the most recent NAM and IKON and both have our corner in lighter amounts with heavy to east in somerset and west into OH....figures-whT is it about our corner? The way the apps transfer energy and we end up in a hole?

Yea its all about the Apps. Once the energy approaches, typically, it tries to find an easier solution than traveling over the mountains. So instead, it forms a new surface low where it can thrive, like over the Atlantic. Sadly, we live in a very unfortunate area for weather enthusiasts. :(

• Sad 1

And before I head out for the day and step away from these models. We have the 12z euro. 
cOowahh.png&key=01a92020d8f1c234912c6bf2aea3c324c7ea1e86b37ef08f0e7f34a869463f3e

We should move to VA
I said that exact same thing in a post last season when they got nailed down there. I go down there for vacation every year anyway. May as well move there so I can see some decent storms in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As a former Marylander (Annapolis) who has been in PGH for about 3 years now, it's goes both ways. My family back home was so jealous of the dustings we got in November and December. But now I'm jealous as they wait for 5-8" right now and presumably another big one later on. It's nice that it snows more frequently here but I do miss the intense storms on the coast. I don't know what's better- dry spells with big storms or little dustings somewhat regularly. *Sigh* 

As a former Marylander (Annapolis) who has been in PGH for about 3 years now, it's goes both ways. My family back home was so jealous of the dustings we got in November and December. But now I'm jealous as they wait for 5-8" right now and presumably another big one later on. It's nice that it snows more frequently here but I do miss the intense storms on the coast. I don't know what's better- dry spells with big storms or little dustings somewhat regularly. *Sigh* 
Dry spells with big storms for me. Snow showers and dustings just don't do it for me. I am enjoying what's coming down right now anyway. I know we aren't going to get near what some others are going to get, but I'm out in it and it's pretty out right now.

I know we still have a long way to go with this storm, but in terms of the set up at the 500 mb level, the GFS nailed this. Current analysis shows an image almost identical to what the GFS was showing 3-4 days ago. 
I posted this map of the GFS a few days ago. Seems to be coming to fruition. We're in a bad spot yet again.41d772041b6471bab08f0da72fb4b297.jpg

Most places in Allegheny County surpasses that already. Spotter reports averaging around 1.5”.
if some of those heavier returns in Ohio can hold together, still a chance for a decent little event. 
I wasn't so much concentrating on the number as I was the hole in the precip that was modeled over Allegheny County that seems to be happening right now. And those heavier returns in Ohio seem to be trying to make it over this way but falling short. I haven't had a chance to measure as I've been out and about, but looks like around an inch to me so far where I've been anyway. Just eyeballing it though. Will be keeping an eye on Ohio to see of some of that can make it this far.