• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018-2019 LES Season

josh_4184

It's that time again to fire up the LES Season thread for the Great Lakes area. Although last year I would rate as just average especially for Northern Michigan, hopefully this year we all cash in. Tonight through tomorrow looks like a few areas may pick a a few inches before it melts, this coming weekend may bring another round of more widespread LES. 

Lets pile it up!!:snowing::sled::mapsnow:

• Like 3

when the wx models start dropping some HR 180 QPF dreams skirting the western shores of LM. I get extra model humping suckered in 100% of the time and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I love that we get to follow along with you all that reside in them extra special Nathans snow climates of the great lakes.  I have a good feeling we'll be seeing some great LES events  documented  this fall and winter here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I’ll also be chiming in here as well from just south of Buffalo,NY. Average about 115” a season. 

Welcome. You must be only about 10-12 miles northeast of BuffaloWeather. It will be interesting to see snowfall differences with LES bands.

13 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Welcome. You must be only about 10-12 miles northeast of BuffaloWeather. It will be interesting to see snowfall differences with LES bands.

I’m about 7 miles NE of BuffaloWeather. It’s fascinating to see the difference in such a short difference. He definitley averages a good 20”+ over me and there’s some events he can see 1’+ while I’m looking out the window at green grass. Happened quite a few times just last year. There can also be times (not as often) that I can see 1’ of snow while 7 miles to my NW downtown Buffalo is looking at green grass. On an even rarer occasion my location can be just about ground 0 on early season SW flow events (see Dec 2010, Nov 2014). Looking forward to having another forum to post in and read about what’s going on across the upper Great Lakes not just the eastern lakes. 

4 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Oh, woot! Just finished the thread.

I'm excited to hear about the Tug Hill. It'll be interesting to see all of this.

I live in Calumet/Laurium on the Keweenaw peninsula at >1200' elevation. Average somewhere north of 250" inches a year according to John Dee. I've already had several inches of snow this year.

Here's a pic from the first one a few weeks ago:

first18.jpg

It's been an odd October.  Most usually start nice and then turn cold, with the majority of October snow coming late in the Month.  This year, graupel and flurries in late Sept and accumulating snow on October 5th, and it has snowed consistently this month with total snow in a localized area here of 8-9" so far. MQT's temp is -5.3 for the month with 4.1" of snow.  As I recall, the seasonal snowpack started this time last year.

Like your new 'hood!

untitled.thumb.png.7e7d1614a7e0dd4ca04005a390e71220.png

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks good for first lake effect snow event next week. Thurs-Sunday timeframe. 

Yea, the Euro is pretty bullish the next 240 hours, painting 12" for my area and over 2' for the UP snowbelts. Still not ready, go t my leafs done today, will be working to swap my tractor over to winter mode this weekend. 

On 11/3/2018 at 12:46 PM, Jonger said:

I'm heading to the local motorsports store to get ready..... early winter locking in.

It does have that autumn '95 and '00 feel to it. Question is, can we sustain it after it gets here. 95-96 did a decent job of that, but 00-01 blew it's load on December, at which point it was basically over

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 11:48 AM, RogueWaves said:

It does have that autumn '95 and '00 feel to it. Question is, can we sustain it after it gets here. 95-96 did a decent job of that, but 00-01 blew it's load on December, at which point it was basically over

95-96 was crap here lol. You want an early winter onset that went well into spring? Look no further than the historic winter of 2013-14!

11 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Added another 8" today so far, still snowing, have about 12-14" otg right now, still haven't shoveled or snowblowed yet. I was hoping it would melt but don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.  

Good stuff Josh! We missed out on the big band south of here, pattern looks decent moving forward. 

22 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good stuff Josh! We missed out on the big band south of here, pattern looks decent moving forward. 

Pattern looks okay, although it is still pretty early in the season especially my area for sustained LES/cold. Usually last week of November through end of Jan is peak for my area before Lake Mich starts to freeze over, probably wont happen this year if the foretasted El-Nino does sustain itself. But either way been a great start to the season but waking up to a temps in the single digits this morning was a little rough!

On 11/14/2018 at 6:03 AM, michsnowfreak said:

95-96 was crap here lol. You want an early winter onset that went well into spring? Look no further than the historic winter of 2013-14!

I was referring to winter's (Autumn's) that featured significant snow and cold in November. Those two are benchmarks where I was at the time. NMI in '95 and Michianna in '00. This one has begun like those so far. There are others ofc like Nov of '14 if you lived in the right LES region, but we know how that rubber band snapped back in December. Very difficult to sustain a cold November right thru winter. That was my point. And yes, ofc '13-14 set the mark for DJF but Nov had it's major swings.

27 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I should probably be measuring but I don't. The snow falls and then it settles and then it falls again. It's almost always doing both at the same time.

Since I last paid attention, probably around Saturday, we have picked up in excess of 8-10 inches of snow. I have a guy that plows my driveway every morning around 5am and for some reason he shovels my steps? Anyways, yeah. Probably 8-10 inches since Saturday...and that isn't counting the last few inches we picked up since I went out at 3pm.

How east coast.

It's been a great start to Winter here too... 9.2" today,(yes, it's still snowing), a season total over 45", and a depth approaching 20" on Novemeber 19th.  Hard to complain, and no, I don't think I could live anywhere else, either.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, Lake effect snow friends! I have about a foot and a half on the ground here in the Tug. Had to shovel the roof off today as over half of that pack is extremely heavy snow from last week's system. Looking like we will have a band hit us on Wednesday.

IMG_20181119_190338.jpg

Nice Glad the tug is treating you well, sure different then Western Michigan eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice Glad the tug is treating you well, sure different then Western Michigan eh?

Hey, Josh. It sure is! As you know, being up in elevation has made a HUGE difference. I got so tired of living in the Lake Plain, because every thaw killed the snowpack.

Even here, we go 15 to 20 minutes in most directions and there is so much less snow there than here on the Tug.

This is a snow lovers paradise.

13 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

I realized something today...if I ever moved away from the UP (and I wouldn't)...even to a place like where I used to live, Fort Kent, Maine...I don't think I'd ever enjoy winter as much. There's just something about the nonstop snow. If I was back in Maine I would feel like I was in a constant drought or high pressure. It's almost unnerving how constant the snow is up here.

snowsnowsnow.jpg

You have to live in the Great Lakes to truly understand it. It snows all of the time. Even down here it just seems to snow so often, even when it's not amounting to much there are flakes flying around. The Lake belts can see daily accumulations for weeks at a time. They certainly get much bigger storms in the northeast but periods of winter downtime are much much much more rare in the Great Lakes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, Josh. It sure is! As you know, being up in elevation has made a HUGE difference. I got so tired of living in the Lake Plain, because every thaw killed the snowpack.

Even here, we go 15 to 20 minutes in most directions and there is so much less snow there than here on the Tug.

This is a snow lovers paradise.

Oh yea, elevation is king, just wait when you actually get your first true LES blast with a 40-60" event should be anytime now for your area. My biggest events I would be lucky to hit 25-30" your area can double that if the conditions are right.