Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

1 minute ago, vespasian70 said:

Epic ice storm. Hard rain in the upper 20s for hours. Power was out for days in below zero temps. God awful.

1 minute ago, Steve said:

I will never forget that storm ...the ice was ridiculous!!

Little talked about outside of forums, but the impact in central Ohio east, I'd actually put the storm up there with the blizzard of 78. The amount of ice and people without power for upwards of 2 weeks. Christmas day temps plummeted below zero. Was a bad time for everyone. We were fortunate enough to get the last generator within 50 miles of us thankfully. But the impact it had east of Columbus had to be up there.

Just now, buckeye said:

oh god, that's right....you guys were in the pure rain part of that.    That was crazy....  Dilly must have been :gun_bandana:

2004 sucked.  I was just south of Columbus at that time and it was a major ice storm.  Knocked out power for like 4 or 5 days, including on Christmas.

3 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

Little talked about outside of forums, but the impact in central Ohio east, I'd actually put the storm up there with the blizzard of 78. The amount of ice and people without power for upwards of 2 weeks. Christmas day temps plummeted below zero. Was a bad time for everyone. We were fortunate enough to get the last generator within 50 miles of us thankfully. But the impact it had east of Columbus had to be up there.

My folks lived on the new albany / westerville border.    They lost power for a week as well, here in Westerville we got a snowstorm that transitioned to an icestorm, but the ice wasn't nearly as epic as is was for you guys....still did some major damage.   The gradient from epic heavy snow to raging ice storm to plain rain was something to behold.    Literally occurring within a couple of counties.    Then it got brutally cold....right in time for Christmas.   Horrible.

5 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

Easily one of the worst winter weather events I ever lived through. I wasn't around for the blizzard.

2 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

Easily one of the worst winter weather events I ever lived through. I wasn't around for the blizzard.

I wasn't either.

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

My folks lived on the new albany / westerville border.    They lost power for a week as well, here in Westerville we got a snowstorm that transitioned to an icestorm, but the ice wasn't nearly as epic as is was for you guys....still did some major damage.   The gradient from epic heavy snow to raging ice storm to plain rain was something to behold.    Literally occurring within a couple of counties.    Then it got brutally cold....right in time for Christmas.   Horrible.

I remember tracking it. I was 20 and the day before models showed heavy snow for us in coshocton county. Then 0z came in and it became obvious an ice storm was coming. Remember watching Chris Bradley on the news and showing Delaware, Ohio with something like 23" of snow. Was amazing if ya had a generator. 

fwiw jma looks like a solid snow storm.  Takes low to  southern WV.

Best take from the 12z runs is that there are no outlier nw cranked solutions.  The only outlier solutions are much further south.  I think our ceiling is set, now we hope for this beast to settle down just a tiny bit.   Granted I'd rather be in Findlay or Mansfield's shoes right now.

• Like 1

Pretty comical reading the difference in forecast discussion between ILN, CLE, and PIT. PIT says its trending south, other two say north. But more comical is the different forecasts between me (Knox county CLE), Newark ILN, and Coshocton PIT. 3 counties border each other with different forecasts, cle has me all snow, Newark snow changing to rain, and a mix of sn, ip, and zr in coshocton. You'd think they'd work in some sort of tandem on big systems. Why is it they dont?

29 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

Pretty comical reading the difference in forecast discussion between ILN, CLE, and PIT. PIT says its trending south, other two say north. But more comical is the different forecasts between me (Knox county CLE), Newark ILN, and Coshocton PIT. 3 counties border each other with different forecasts, cle has me all snow, Newark snow changing to rain, and a mix of sn, ip, and zr in coshocton. You'd think they'd work in some sort of tandem on big systems. Why is it they dont?

they will once it gets to a point of posting advisories etc.    Right now it's still speculative   You have to remember this thing is still 4 days out from getting it's act together in the southern plains.   In front of it there will be two disturbances crossing the country between now and then.   The general idea of a storm is solid...  the details are as clear as mud.

• Like 1