Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

3 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

Yes and no.  I think we’re closing in on a scenario where we have two parts.  The first part during the day looks like it will be a mixed bag with not much accumulation.  Then in the evening as the cold air rushes in and we get a deform band, we get a good thumping.

Good point. The first is associated with waa, then like you said, the deform when the low passes underneath.  

March08 was a 2 parter as well.  Snowed all day Friday then a several hour lull in the evening before it hammered again.  That was the portion they hoisted blizz warnings for. 

So this is how the hrrr sees it using Franklin county.

- snow arrives around 9am

- mixes changes to plain rain around 11 up to the Delaware county line.

- rains for about 6 hours and Dilly cancels the rest of winter and Pondo threatens to move back to philly (:P)

- around 5pm rain transitions quickly from sleet to snow and hammer time from 6pm on.

It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.   I think low end is 4"  high end is 12".  Would not be surprised if someone goes under a blizzard warning tomorrow night.

3 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Well just wasted a whole week tracking a rain storm. Hope you guys get a good thump because it's looking bleak here in PGH.

I feel your pain here in indy. I mean just look at the NAM it literally has heavy snow just north and south and east of here. It's like the ultimate soul crushing dry slot from central Illinois to where I'm at. 

39 minutes ago, buckeye said:

- rains for about 6 hours and Dilly cancels the rest of winter and Pondo threatens to move back to philly (:P)

- around 5pm rain transitions quickly from sleet to snow and hammer time from 6pm on.

It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.   I think low end is 4"  high end is 12".  Would not be surprised if someone goes under a blizzard warning tomorrow night.

No way this is accurate low is all the way I'm Tennessee and has not just a mix but rain all the way to i70. This would go down as the biggest bust ever.

Soooooooo....Looks like sleet and rain will be a bigger ingredient than we thought... (If you choose to believe the models now).  Euro shaved off about 3", assuming that's all snow to begin with.  I didn't even look at the other ones. HRRR is a hot mess trying to figure out what's falling when and where...   

As Jay mentioned, any appreciable  snow will be dependent on the deform band this evening and we hope for a surprise.   

So in other words, everything's on track for another typical central Ohio winter'storm'. :facepalm::lol:

9 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Most models had temps in the high 20s to start today, but all 4 reporting airports in Franklin County are between 31 and 33. The HRRR is picking up on that and brings in quite a bit of pure rain at 38F during the afternoon. No other model had CMH topping 33 (maybe 34). 

Looks like the HP/cold press isn't as bully as projected.  SLP track still looks the same though.   More often than not the cold presses more than forecasted...doesnt look like it this time.

6 hours ago, buckeye said:

Hah, yup!!!!

8 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

11z hrrr 850 temps never go above zero except extreme south franklin county but 2m temps get to near 40. Sigh.. but still showing a decent snow. I dont know what to make of it.602969022_snku_acc.us_ma(1).thumb.png.c5f47a475d202097a1cb28d99dd0d459.png

That map is unreal.  12" in the extreme w. Part of Franklin county ....0 in extreme southeast county:lmao:

Part of me almost wants to see something that crazy 

Just now, buckeye said:

That map is unreal.  12" in the extreme w. Part of Franklin county ....0 in extreme southeast county:lmao:

I remember hearing someone say "If you can smell the rain, you'll get the heavy snow"  Seems to be the case in Franklin County.  

5 minutes ago, buckeye said:

But I can't make sense of the model. Explain it to me.. 850s and even 750s never go above freezing but has you getting to near 38 at the surface. But during that time the ptype map shows snow. Idk heavy snow with higher temps?

5 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

I remember hearing someone say "If you can smell the rain, you'll get the heavy snow"  Seems to be the case in Franklin County.  

I think perhaps this time around "If you can smell the rain, you'll get heavy rain".

Today will be wet and we await the change over this evening. Hopefully salvage a few inches from it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

But I can't make sense of the model. Explain it to me.. 850s and even 750s never go above freezing but has you getting to near 38 at the surface. But during that time the ptype map shows snow. Idk heavy snow with higher temps?

I looked at the ncep site and it looks like the 850s get north of us