Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Home Weather Station Desktop Software??

ChescoWx

Hey guys,

I have been using Virtual Weather Station from Ambient since 1997 for my home station (see below). Are there any suggestions for better software? What are you using? I would love to find a software that allows me to add/edit daily climate normals (hi/lo) and daily records into the database and have those show up on the desktop screen when I open the program.

Any feedback or thoughts would be most appreciated

Thanks to all!

Paul

2018-10-10_9-46-29.png

Hey Paul, how much are you looking to spend? I've been researching software/hardware the last few months and may be able to give you a suggestion. I decided last March that I was going to finally get rid of my first really basic digital weather station that I got in high school(over 10 years ago, yikes) and get a professional-esque system as a birthday gift to myself. 

Hey Paul - You may have stumbled on this already but there is one out there called "Weather Display" http://www.weather-display.com/index.php  It seems to have a rather active forum and I even noted that it had a WxSim subforum too since I think you use that as well.  I can't vouch for it (with all the rest of my hobbies I wish I had the time to devote to something like this), but it might be one to try.  It has a 30-day fully functional free trial to boot.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, ChescoPaWxman said:

Hey Justin - Davis only comes with weathlink - which really stinks! Hence why I use Virtual Weather Station but trying to see if anyone has any other suggestions that might have more ability to customize for local data norms and extremes etc.

Maybe there is something open source out there. If you are handy with a computer, there are many different things that could be achieved with custom software. Do you have a specific list of feature requirements? That is disappointing about weatherlink, I was hoping to get a Davis Station someday.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:52 AM, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hey Paul - You may have stumbled on this already but there is one out there called "Weather Display" http://www.weather-display.com/index.php  It seems to have a rather active forum and I even noted that it had a WxSim subforum too since I think you use that as well.  I can't vouch for it (with all the rest of my hobbies I wish I had the time to devote to something like this), but it might be one to try.  It has a 30-day fully functional free trial to boot.

Thanks! I have also tried weather display and am unfortunately not a big fan....I can't believe nothing better than VWS has surfaced in all these years.... but thanks!!

Paul

9 hours ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Thanks! I have also tried weather display and am unfortunately not a big fan....I can't believe nothing better than VWS has surfaced in all these years.... but thanks!!

Paul

Paul - I blame you for making me look for stuff like this! :P But I did just stumble on this one - Weather View 32 - http://www.weatherview32.com/

main_web.png

And it does look like it has the ability to edit/add climate data - http://www.weatherview32.com/climate_window.html

And they indicate the following -

Add text objects to real-time display containing climate database related values and derived values
such as average month to date rainfall, average year to date rainfall (both water year and calendar year),
month and year to date rainfall deficit/surplus, etc.

Graph your actual temperature and rainfall data with climate norms and records superimposed.
Assign climate sites to individual METAR sites to allow adding daily climate data along with
current reading for METAR site.

Generate reports based on climate data.
Generate reports combining climate data with actual data recorded at your site by Weather View 32.

edit_station_data.gif

climsum.gif

It allows for webcams and will even allow you to add a nexrad radar window on the screen.

They have a 15-day trial.  Looks like it would be a big project!