Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Windspeed

Michael Banter Thread

Recommended Posts

What is the significance of 157mph if wind speeds are measured in increments of 5mph? At 155mph just call it a Cat 5 imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfgmfg said:

Yep, that's almost certainly it.  Street view from that location matches what we saw on the feed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mfgmfg said:

Such a bad spot.   When I watched them make the decision to drive over the bridge near Port St. Joe and head that way I couldn't believe it.   I had watch when they traveled through to Port St. Joe earlier in the feed and it was clear that the whole are was super low.   More importantly the only road to get out was basically on the coast.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Polka1 said:

Such a bad spot.   When I watched them make the decision to drive over the bridge near Port St. Joe and head that way I couldn't believe it.   I had watch when they traveled through to Port St. Joe earlier in the feed and it was clear that the whole are was super low.   More importantly the only road to get out was basically on the coast.    

I've made that drive before between Panama City and Port St. Joe and your perception is correct.  There's a reason that people like Josh didn't go over there- lack of options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mempho said:

I've made that drive before between Panama City and Port St. Joe and your perception is correct.  There's a reason that people like Josh didn't go over there- lack of options.

Bad news is that between the live site map showing the chasers, tweets from other chasers who said they were in Mexico City, and Jeff Piotrowski's live feed it seems that there were a lot of chasers in major risk areas between the two.   Jeff claimed to have been down there but barely made it out before storm surge and fallen trees blocked the way - and that was a bit before it got REALLY bad.

Hope others made it out or found places that held.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Polka1 said:

Bad news is that between the live site map showing the chasers, tweets from other chasers who said they were in Mexico City, and Jeff Piotrowski's live feed it seems that there were a lot of chasers in major risk areas between the two.   Jeff claimed to have been down there but barely made it out before storm surge and fallen trees blocked the way - and that was a bit before it got REALLY bad.

Hope others made it out or found places that held.

I can't really imagine deciding to attempt to ride out the storm surge and wind of a storm like this in a vehicle at sea level.  That's not a reasonable plan.  People having that little concern for their own personal safety is really disconcerting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Weirdest effin town names ever

Go back north where the names are all normal.  LIke these upstate NY towns.

Lackawanna 

Almond 

Chili 

Throop 

Coxsackie

Horseheads

Wawayanda 

Scheghticoke

Halfmoon 

Neversink 

Tuckahoe

Butternuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really needs to be said that this Brett dudes actions have made him look like a total selfish azzhole in so many ways.  He doesn't deserve anything to happen to him but I really hope he takes a long hard look at himself and his "career" if he manages to escape this. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replying here because this clowns stupidness shouldn't murk up the main thread

5 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

He doesn’t seem very happy. Seems like his thinking was “I boarded up my home and left like I was supposed too but you stayed and broke the seal on the home I spent so much time boarding up.” Understandable 

I can't blame him at all, and honestly give him mad props for not completely tearing into Brett in that interview. Can't say I would of held my tongue if that was my home this clown broke into and likely ruined the storm preparations that I had spent time on all because he had to have the best footage, safety be damned... It would be hilarious if he pressed charges on him and I really hope he does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jburns said:

Go back north where the names are all normal.  LIke these upstate NY towns.

Lackawanna 

Almond 

Chili 

Throop 

Coxsackie

Horseheads

Wawayanda 

Scheghticoke

Halfmoon 

Neversink 

Tuckahoe

Butternuts

Or PA, where Intercourse is a bit up from the town Bird in Hand - not far away from Paradise and Fertility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Polka1 said:

Or PA, where Intercourse is a bit up from the town Bird in Hand - not far away from Paradise and Fertility.

Oh yeah. Ever since I can remember PA was held up as the gold standard of weird town names.  I looked up a few from NY because that is where BX resides. All in fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Replying here because this clowns stupidness shouldn't murk up the main thread

I can't blame him at all, and honestly give him mad props for not completely tearing into Brett in that interview. Can't say I would of held my tongue if that was my home this clown broke into and likely ruined the storm preparations that I had spent time on all because he had to have the best footage, safety be damned... It would be hilarious if he pressed charges on him and I really hope he does.

I said it in the main thread but will delete it...I’d like to see him charged with B&E. Completely irresponsible, and copycats with even less knowledge will someday get killed because of this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I said it in the main thread but will delete it...I’d like to see him charged with B&E. Completely irresponsible, and copycats with even less knowledge will someday get killed because of this.

Main thread is now 100% about Adair anyway.. just leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seriously still kind of in a state of shock that this thing came in with the third lowest pressure recorded in the US...lower than Andrew... and in the Florida panhandle a third of the way into October. All of the clowns maps pretty much came true-yeah I was looking at them all and laughing like everyone else. Hard to believe really. I really can't wait for the analysis on this storm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why waste American tax payer dollars rebuilding Panama City and Mexico City? It's their own countries problem:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't think of a better tool than this video to show people why they need to evacuate storm surge prone areas.  It really shows how quickly and how powerful the wind and water combined come ashore.  Too often people see water levels rise over a period of many hours, this was true storm surge.  It went from nothing to maybe 4 feet of water w 3 or 4 ft waves on top in 15-20 min.  And that was w/ the wind and surge coming from the E/SE somewhat paralleling that coastline.  The video quit before the the winds became more perpendicular to the coastline.  That location looked like it never saw the eye proper but stayed in the eyewall (maybe even the outer fringes) throughout.  The backside surge can be just as bad. 

I couldn't imagine back in the days of Camille being half toasted at a hurricane party in a house sitting at or just above sea level, and having even worse than this come barreling through.   

I dont care about the blame game stuff, I don't blame race car drivers, it's their choice and we all still like to watch. 

Regardless, glad they're ok.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SandySurvivor said:

I didn't expect Florida to dodge such a bullet.  This morning it looked like it was going to be really bad. From my post storm survey they came out relatively well.  

Uhm, WTF? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×