• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Michael Banter Thread

Windspeed

Today is a special day in the weather community.  I remember watching TWC's coverage of Andrew as a kid and being fascinated.  I even named a pet that I got a short time later after that hurricane. Not only was this the strongest US landfall since Andrew, but it pretty comfortably blows away the top storms in the record books for the panhandle of Florida.  Any borderline cat 5 is going to be memorable (and maybe it will be upgraded someday?) but this one even more so because of where it hit.

Wish I could've spent more time watching things unfold today, but unfortunately I couldn't.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Hahaha that first photo is fire damage.

Damage from a fire caused by the storm.  Still valid.  He's either a willful jackass or inept.  We've been getting a ton of EMAC requests in the past couple of hours to FL and now GA.  This is gonna take a while to rebuild from

Damage from a fire caused by the storm.  Still valid.  He's either a willful jackass or inept.  We've been getting a ton of EMAC requests in the past couple of hours to FL and now GA.  This is gonna take a while to rebuild from

Yes, I am aware. But it's a laughable comparison to use in reference to their "storm survey" and then use a photo from Panama City Beach, which was on the outter edge or just outside the western eyewall. Not trying to downplay Sandy's damage but this is getting ridiculous. They could have at least made an effort to find actual surge or wind damage. Search engines aren't that hard to use. There are plenty of bad Sandy images to choose from besides damage from a fire, which is clearly going to be deceiving if not pointed out. I bet they didn't even realize that was from a fire.

• Like 1

I lived through Sandy too. My town was devastated by it as were many others nearby. It was NOTHING like what areas in the max surge and wind zone saw in Michael. Period. This is a major hurricane strike on GA too from an INLAND direction. We haven’t even really begun to see the real scope of the damage. I bet Panama City is devastated from being in the eyewall for so long despite the surge not being so bad. Port St Joe is also a fairly well populated place in the max surge zone I haven’t seen much from yet. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

What's the best comparison hurricane for Mike? (Other than the obvious Sandy, pre-Sandy, post-Sandy, Sandy V, and Sandy.) 

Was this as tight as Charley for the truly brutal winds?  That was my first impression, but I haven't got the chance to read through the threads and am basically a hurricane idiot.

tight like charlie but a little thiccer like wilma

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

What's the best comparison hurricane for Mike? (Other than the obvious Sandy, pre-Sandy, post-Sandy, Sandy V, and Sandy.) 

Was this as tight as Charley for the truly brutal winds?

Just eyeballing it I'd say this had a much wider area of damaging winds (and also stronger peak winds and much larger surge)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

Was this as tight as Charley for the truly brutal winds?  That was my first impression, but I haven't got the chance to read through the threads and am basically a hurricane idiot.

Camille? Camille was probably more intense. But we will have to see what happens with the post storm research for Michael.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Calm down son.  You think your king **** for making some edgy comments on an internet forum but your talking out your ass here.

For a "professional" you sure do a **** job of conversing.

I think deep down you know that I'm right and it is a lot easier to just go explosive on me than actually provide any data that indicates I even might be wrong.

Just now, sakau2007 said:

For a "professional" you sure do a **** job of conversing.

I think deep down you know that I'm right and it is a lot easier to just go explosive on me than actually provide any data that indicates I even might be wrong.

Orange taggers aren’t real. Their professionalism died ages ago on these boards. 

• Like 1