Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Michael Banter Thread

Windspeed

2 hours ago, Witness Protection Program said:

If I were OCD, I'd be pissed at how The (phony) Weather Channel illustrates storm surge with a typical suburban house theoretically sitting at 0' elevation, which exists exactly nowhere.  No wave action battering it as the surge rises, but cute fishes calmly swimming below.

I mean I get that they are oversimplifying for the Idiocracy lowest common denominator, but still.  Is Reynolds Wolf even capable of shame?

(Not my favorite channel...)

That guy (Reynolds Wolf) stays job hopping. :lol:

He was on CNN before TWC, and I remember when he was in Detroit back in the late 90s / early 2000s on WDIV.

IF you are religious or not say a prayer for the Panhandle and keep those people in your thoughts ! Not much of a warning to possibly the WORST hurricane to ever hit the U S ...very sad

It will be among the worst landfalls for sure for the US. But we have had more intense hurricanes make landfall than Michael. This storm is going to be devastating to the panhandle, so it doesn't need downplaying, but I don't think it will be the worst ever to hit the US.

Imagine if you had cancer and only months to live... what better way to go out than to be at Mexico beach on a beach front home. Have a great last meal, good liquor and maybe some other stuff. Also facebook live the entire event. That would be one hell of a way to go. (Of course if you were close to death anyway). 

Hyperbole:  “errrmahgawd that decaying Cat 1 currently forecast to continue moving east is going to bomb to cat 5 and turn west and destroy everything!.  This is awesome!!”

Not hyperbole:  Obs of high water hundreds of miles from the main area of impact, comments that the surge in some places will be terrible and unprecedented.

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It had slightly better symmetry an hour or two ago.  I don't "wish" for a particular outcome.  And I don't care being right because I'm not a forecaster and nobody depends on my analysis.  I'm just trying to contribute to the overall objectivity of the forum.

"I don't care if I am right because I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just trying to be a contrarian to get attention" 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

We also don't need posts from non mods trying to be mods in the storm thread. Bring comments like this to banter, it really is not a hard concept yet so many have severe difficulty grasping it...

Then how about delete some of his posts? I’ve been completely quiet reading his constant overreactions for the last two storms and is frankly annoying as heck.

I apologize for posting in the main thread, but enough is enough.

3 minutes ago, SandySurvivor said:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to show.  

Sandy was a monster and landfalled around 940mbs.  This thing is borderline is pushing towards 925mb.  Even the Weather Channel crews are fleeing.  This will be the worst storm since Sandy there is no doubt about it

You said costliest which has little to do with the strength of the storm but rather the area it hits

4 minutes ago, SandySurvivor said:

Sandy was a monster and landfalled around 940mbs.  This thing is borderline is pushing towards 925mb.  Even the Weather Channel crews are fleeing.  This will be the worst storm since Sandy there is no doubt about it

It's showing that Sandy came ashore in one of the most densely populated places on the planet, Michael is going to come ashore in basically a swamp outside of the PCB area.  it's comparing apples with an F-150.  

Try to make a post without referencing Sandy.

• Like 1

Just now, KPITSnow said:

Then how about delete some of his posts? I’ve been completely quiet reading his constant overreactions for the last two storms and is frankly annoying as heck.

I'm not a mod either or trust me I would along with about 25% of the posts in the thread:lol:  I didn't mean to single you out but the banter in the main thread is unbearable and posts like that just add to it. I know you are not the problem. 

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

report the posts. thats better than adding your own banter to it ;) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

It's showing that Sandy came ashore in one of the most densely populated places on the planet, Michael is going to come ashore in basically a swamp outside of the PCB area.  it's comparing apples with an F-150.  

Parts of South Jersey are barren pine forests and look how costly Sandy was.  The fact that this section of Florida is swampland means nothing. 

I still don't think the surge is going to be as bad as Sandy but the size of this storm and rainfall will make up for that

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Also, we aren't officially in storm mode, so please try and self moderate yourself. if you see your posts disappearing, think twice about your next post. 

Thank you and the other mods for doing your best.. Just to be clear my post above wasn't a remark on the job you all are doing, I understand it is impossible to keep up with the amount of crap. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SandySurvivor said:

Parts of South Jersey are barren pine forests and look how costly Sandy was.  The fact that this section of Florida is swampland means nothing. 

I still don't think the surge is going to be as bad as Sandy but the size of this storm and rainfall will make up for that

What a great point, I had not considered that.  Carry on, you're clearly adding a tremendous amount to the discussion here.

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

Was there any discussion as to why or was there perhaps just not enough mods available to handle it today? Thanks for your time regardless.

No idea. I haven't seen @stormtracker online in a few days, so he may not be around. Regardless, those of us who are checking in will do our best to keep it readable. Please be patient as we all do have things to do (like day jobs) and cannot be paying attention to the flow of the thread constantly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

No idea. I haven't seen @stormtracker online in a few days, so he may not be around. Regardless, those of us who are checking in will do our best to keep it readable. Please be patient as we all do have things to do (like day jobs) and cannot be paying attention to the flow of the thread constantly. 

Wouldn't he be working 12+ hour days to get ready for the election?

28 minutes ago, SandySurvivor said:

23 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

You said costliest which has little to do with the strength of the storm but rather the area it hits

22 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

This and the fact there aren't over 1 million acres of sparsely inhabited pine forest in southern NJ.  This is a strong storm and there will be damage to private and public infrastructure but I don't think it is physically possible for this storm to be costlier than Sandy given the location.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

This and the fact there aren't over 1 million acres of sparsely inhabited pine forest in southern NJ.  This is a strong storm and there will be damage to private and public infrastructure but I don't think it is physically possible for this storm to be costlier than Sandy given the location.

I prefer to deal in facts and science.  I stopped reading after your first sentence which is clearly false.  

The Pinelands National Reserve is over 1 million acres.