• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Is Tropical Storm Michael a threat to New England???????

USCAPEWEATHERAF

I have told this story before:

We travelled to the Yucatán peninsula in October 2005 we had been going there for years, a house in Akumal which is about 60 miles south of Cancun. Tropical Storm Wilma had unexpectedly formed. We got word from the locals that we should get out Thursday we arrived on Tuesday. When I went to our local beach bar to ask the bartender/ manager what to do they said start driving west.Thursday morning the surge was already inundating the beach roads and said bar. The storm was still 2 days out! At that point it was do not stay if you want it was you need to get out either to a shelter or what we did. We drove to the city of Merida on the Gulf Coast and thank god found a room. The devestation we saw a week later driving back to Cancun airport was nothing like I have seen before thank god we left! We rented the same house the following year and saw what the surge did to the house water lines, the cliff rocks the house is on etc. The people in that area all take storms very seriously as all should but they do not let people stay if they want to. Going back next Tuesday and knock on wood everything looks calm in the tropics.