• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Michael

Solak

I'm in Kernersville and we have been without power since around 2:00. Thankfully dh just got the generator working. There are tons of trees down on the street behind mine and the railroad tracks at the top of our neighborhood have trees across them for at least 2 miles. I work off Robinhood Rd in Winston and there wasn't one single traffic light working when I left. Still a tiny bit breezy outside and I'm really hoping no more trees fall. 

I have never seen wind like today that lasted so long. That was just crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was in the eye for quite a while. Pressure bottomed out at 29.10 on the old Springfield unit. I'm in the backside eye wall remnant now and those knife edge wind streaks are serious. Things are hitting the roof and I've taken to the basement a couple of times. Lost power briefly with flickers as well. Power back now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

The situation with the Dan River in Danville is truly awful tonight. It's a foot over the record now with no real signs of being near a crest.

dvlv2_hg.png

I hate it for Danville. I'm sure they weren't expecting this (why would they?). I lived there for a year back in the mid 90's, and the town was struggling back then. I'm sure it hasn't gotten better, and this event will only make things worse.

17 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

How much rain did Danville get?  And down towards Stoneville? Hearing there was a lot of farm damage up there.  Tornado-ish?

As of 5pm, Danville had 5.96'' for the day. (I figure let's round that out to 6'')

I know there was a Tornado Warning for Rockingham County(NC) earlier, but I haven't heard any damage reports. Yet.

18 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

How much rain did Danville get?  And down towards Stoneville? Hearing there was a lot of farm damage up there.  Tornado-ish?

I work for the city, we had 6.75 in 2 hours according to a gauge we have at Public Works. Anywhere from 6 to 8 across the city and winds from 50 to 60 in the worst band. The city has struggled and is trying to get on its feet with a nice river district area that is under a lot of water now..

• Sad 2

We’ve been without power in Greensboro since 3:00 PM Thursday.  Duke Energy is still “assessing damage” and has no estimate on restoration time.  Almost 4.5” IMBY today.  It’s a mess in GSO.  Trees down everywhere. Almost half the county without power.  Idiots treating dead traffic lights like they have a full green regardless of who else is in the intersection.

• Like 1

Hi- new to the forum but recent relocation from the Philly forum - for decades (Wright Weather) ... I'm sitting at the mouth of the Chesapeake in  Virginia Beach - 100 yards off the beach...Michael is exploding here after a boring day--- 40 mph + and sideways rain just now ... windows blew open.... power in and out,transformers going...amazing storm on exit

• Like 3

Power just came back. It went off again just after I made the post last night when I was in that western eye wall remnant enhanced by the frontal push and it had flickered and gone off briefly. This time it stayed off for 13 hours. But no tree on the house. And I'm grateful. I know so many have been hit so much harder. I hope everyone gets the resources they need to make it through.

Eye went right over me here in Roanoke Rapids. Dead calm in the eye, no rain or sound save for the frogs and water dripping from every tree and overhang. Michael, one for the record book and a lifelong memory.

• Like 2

Almost 20 hours without power in Greensboro.

A couple of local tv mets spent the week repeating “Michael isn’t going to be NEARLY as bad as Florence [for the Triad]” and everyone took that at face value.  The 30 mile shift to the west in NC caught a lot by surprise.

The number of outages in Guilford County has been growing all night and into the morning.  Not a crew in sight even where lines are on the ground.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Almost 20 hours without power in Greensboro.

A couple of local tv mets spent the week repeating “Michael isn’t going to be NEARLY as bad as Florence [for the Triad]” and everyone took that at face value.  The 30 mile shift to the west in NC caught a lot by surprise.

The number of outages in Guilford County has been growing all night and into the morning.  Not a crew in sight even where lines are on the ground.

Sounds like they went to the glenn burns school of crappy forecasting. If they claim today/tomorrow that either "no models predicted this" or that they actually accurately forecasted it, then you know for sure  they are all graduates. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Sounds like they went to the glenn burns school of crappy forecasting. If they claim today/tomorrow that either "no models predicted this" or that they actually accurately forecasted it, then you know for sure  they are all graduates. 

They never say, “Wow. We really missed that one. Sorry, folks.”  Instead, we’ll get a steady diet of post-storm, overly dramatic, on-air promos claiming, “We were there first when Michael hit the Triad! Watch us for the most dependable, accurate forecast available anywhere!”

One thing I’ve learned from using the Nextdoor app during these events.  The people who live around me are absolute idiots.

Power still out from Asheboro all the way down old 49 in Randolph County. Cant beleive # of tress wrapped up in power lines. Old hwy 49 still closed. Waiting on power crews to kill lines so dot can remove trees from road. Gotta help folks throw out alot of groceries this afternoon but thankfully I have power at my house and can bring them in. Spent 7 day plus stretches without power on several occasions, all winter wx related. You can save food so much easier. But in summer or early fall its impossible without lots of ice, despite a day featuring highs in only the upper 60s with full sun. All ive heard non stop is people talk about they had no clue this was coming or supose to be this bad. Raleigh had our winds in the point click with highest gust,not sustained at 23mph as late as yesterday morning before they finally caved to the short range models and figured out the metorology of a unque situation. In fact Wednesday night point and cli k had winds only as high as 12 mph. 

13 hours ago, hrtsdsn said:

This video is incredible.   Storm chasers drive into Mexico Beach.   watch til the end they encounter the storm surge and have to abandon their Suburban.    amazing to see the hurricane in real time at landfall. 

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/storm-chasers-abandon-truck-in-flood-during-live-stream-in-hurricane-michael

I was watching that in real time. Amazing but utter stupidity of them to put themselves in that type of danger. They are very lucky to be alive.

Is it normal for the trees that broke or are leaning to look as though they were twisted. The bark where they are broken is actually all twisted on several trees. I automatically think tornado but there were no reports of tornadoes here in Winston.

Power still out all over the place and another huge tree just fell this morning right by my work (off Robinhood Rd) so I'm sure that will delay power being restored. But we aren't as bad off as those in Florida. 

48 minutes ago, NicInNC said:

Is it normal for the trees that broke or are leaning to look as though they were twisted. The bark where they are broken is actually all twisted on several trees. I automatically think tornado but there were no reports of tornadoes here in Winston.

Power still out all over the place and another huge tree just fell this morning right by my work (off Robinhood Rd) so I'm sure that will delay power being restored. But we aren't as bad off as those in Florida. 

Yes, and that twisting can result in huge spiral slashes in the trunks.

Those pines are super flexible, as the videos show.  The twisting and bending action when the upper growth catches the winds can cause spiral-like cracks.  If the tree isn't actually blown over or broken off, sometimes those huge cracks end up being closed again, sometimes closing on objects so it looks like the item was shoved through the three when what happened is it was blown into an open crack which then closed around the object.

Somewhere here i have a series of B&W photographs from Ocala National Forest after a major landfall.  It was acre after acre of bent, broken, and cracked trees and many of them had massive curling cracks.  Some others that were still standing had sap drips down the bark that revealed severe internal damage.

• Like 1