Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Michael

Solak

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:
Winds:

from the NW (320 degrees) at 28 MPH (24 knots; 12.3 m/s)
gusting to 46 MPH (40 knots; 20.6 m/s)

1:10 EDT obs

Thanks.  I knew it had to be close to 50 mph with some of those gusts. That one made it about white out with the rain and was constant for about 10-20 seconds.

5 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Glad you posted that.  Was just about to say we have had some massive gusts come through and some had to be 60 mph.  I’m right next to Matthews in Stallings so I’ll take that report as the same for here.  Sounded like the down bursts you get in thunderstorms like trees were falling but it was just the wind crashing through.  Unreal. 

1 minute ago, GunBlade said:

Glad you posted that.  Was just about to say we have had some massive gusts come through and some had to be 60 mph.  I’m right next to Matthews in Stallings so I’ll take that report as the same for here.  Sounded like the down bursts you get in thunderstorms like trees were falling but it was just the wind crashing through.  Unreal. 

So basically an extended severe storm?  

6 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Some ground truth finally.

yeah looks like we are gonna get our intense wind band.....might not see some of the insane high 85-90 mph gust the HRRR has then again I wouldn't rule that out RDU to the east in isolated cases....feel pretty good that the Triangle will be getting widespread 55-65 gust in a few hrs......gonna be a fun commute home for many....

10 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

So basically an extended severe storm?  

They are fast and furious.  Big gusts don’t last long but usually have some 20’s before and after that last a bit.  Goes complete the calm between.  You can hear the big ones coming before you even see anything out the window. 

Wife just told me here building is running on generator just outside of downtown. 

1 minute ago, GunBlade said:

They are fast and furious.  Big gusts don’t last long but usually have some 20’s before and after that last a bit.  Goes complete the calm between.  You can hear the big ones coming before you even see anything out the window. 

Wife just told me here building is running on generator just outside of downtown. 

Interesting. Wonder if this style of wind leads to more damage? Maybe sudden surges close to 60? Seems very violent for trees.

Was driving in the worst part of that backside band after losing power at the office towards the airport. Crazy stuff. Debris flying around hitting my car, heard a transformer blow, lots of power lines sagging, street lights nearly horizontal, and saw one tree fall. Felt confident the worst gusts were 60+. I do have an Explorer with some clearance, but it was shaking even just sitting still at a light.

18 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

yeah looks like we are gonna get our intense wind band.....might not see some of the insane high 85-90 mph gust the HRRR has then again I wouldn't rule that out RDU to the east in isolated cases....feel pretty good that the Triangle will be getting widespread 55-65 gust in a few hrs......gonna be a fun commute home for many....

That better not happen here. Gah. My heart!  I’m still hoping it busts. 

1 hour ago, BretWheatley said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but, aerial footage from Mexico Beach, FL a couple of hours ago. Unreal.

^That's some serious cat5 wind damage there in Mexico Beach.  Wow!

1 hour ago, QC_Halo said:

This might belong in banter,,,but talk about whacky...

^Yes, I think wacky is the right word for that video.  Crazy.

32 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Most of the short range models show it developing over the foothills as the dry air starts to work into the storm and it begins to take on more ET characteristics. I looked at an animated loop of the Skew-T in N Charlotte and the winds reach the sfc once the dry airs starts working into the lower levels.

untitled.png

• Like 1

Power outages quickly climbing as well.  Union was at 170 outages only 30 minutes ago, over 1,500 now.  Only 30,000 duke customers in Union.  Not a huge number but a quick jump.  Lights have flickered here and in laws in Monroe are without power, they’re on Union Power Cooperative. 

Just more than doubled to over 3,300 less than 10 min after posting this.  Sucks how many ppl had no idea there would be any impacts.  Same reason our kids daycare only gave us a 2 hour warning that they were closing, since there wasn’t nothing telling them they should be closed or closing.  They had no plans to close just 2 hours before that notice....

30 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Most of the short range models show it developing over the foothills as the dry air starts to work into the storm and it begins to take on more ET characteristics. I looked at an animated loop of the Skew-T in N Charlotte and the winds reach the sfc once the dry airs starts working into the lower levels.

untitled.png

So do you think the winds will continue until later then as this moves further away and more dry air works it’s way down?  I was assuming it would wind down shortly here.  If not will be a lot more outages.  Even if they don’t make the 60+ gusts.