Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Michael

Solak

Good Morning Folks...

Lets say, It's getting Breezy Down here in  the Coast, Already..

"Michael" being,, Hours away, the Baroclinity is starting to have "Effects" up here..

This Snapshot I just took is @ LOW TIDE.. We have a ESE Flow and the water/fetch is Piling up already..

There are First Row Homes Directly behind this Rock Wall If you were to Pan back to the right 180.. (Cam won't Capture that far right)..

Winds are SUSTAINED at 22~23 MPH peak gust @ 30mph

When Michael comes up this way with US being on, (As some Folks like to say),, On the Dirty Side,, These Homes,,,

First & Second Rows, what Florence didn't get,, Mikey will..

Conditions are pretty Sporty NOW..

Waves & Surf 6 to 8 footers Already..
Mind you this is LOW TIDE..
Next High Tide incoming will be interesting..

Heres a snapshot..

Capture11.JPG

30 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

RDU is failing big time on this one IMO. After overhyping Florence, we're under hyping one of the strongest storms to ever hit the Gulf Coast that will be rocketing up through eastern NC. Unreal. Most people I work with have no clue what there in store for. 50-75mph winds is not joke. Florence barely reached 40MPH in Raleigh.

Ive been wanting to say this since yesterday. Made it a point to read point and click along with forecast discussion. My highest wind gust per rah nws should be 23mph. Wind gust. Thats this a.m discussion. Lot of dynamics and metorology at play here besides the decaying circulation and deciding whos on the rihgt side and whos on the left. Forward speed ,front interaction, turning extra tropical etc

5 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Ive been wanting to say this since yesterday. Made it a point to read point and click along with forecast discussion. My highest wind gust per rah nws should be 23mph. Wind gust. Thats this a.m discussion. Lot of dynamics and metorology at play here besides the decaying circulation and deciding whos on the rihgt side and whos on the left. Forward speed ,front interaction, turning extra tropical etc

I know us NC guys are focusing on what we may see because of how close this is on the heels of florence. The real story is the likelihood of hurricane force gusts through most of southern Georgia and catastrophic winds in Florida. Gonna be millions and millions of people out of power for a very long time.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

RDU is failing big time on this one IMO. After overhyping Florence, we're under hyping one of the strongest storms to ever hit the Gulf Coast that will be rocketing up through eastern NC. Unreal. Most people I work with have no clue what there in store for. 50-75mph winds is not joke. Florence barely reached 40MPH in Raleigh.

In addition, the ground is already saturated across the state with the leading rains and it's a healthy cat. 4, just a few from a 5.  Hope everyone has their milk sandwiches ready.  Seriously though, folks in the path need to be prepared for potential flooding, power outages and falling trees.  

This. I'm no Josh but I have been in quite a few canes.  The best way I can describe it is although the measured wind velocity may be the same a strengthing cane feels much more violent. It swings wildly and very quickly from less wind to more. It is almost like taking repeated punches from a professional fighter(don't ask me how I know that). A weakening cane may have the same amount of variety in wind speed but it feels much more smoothed out.  It raises and lowers much slower than a strengthing cane.
As a long time resident of Eastern NC (Elizabeth City) and having worked as a lifeguard on the OBX in my late teens, I agree. I also agree with it feeling like taking punches from a professional fighter. I know what that feels like as well since I fought MMA for the AFL and at one time held their Light Heavyweight title.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The amazing part with Florence was the loss of power well inland with what I felt like weren't overly impressive winds. In Johnston county I lost power for days. People are not prepared for this one in the middle of Georgia, or South Carolina. It really doesn't take much to lose power and the power crews aren't really in place are they?

1 minute ago, Orangeburgwx said:

I'm still pissed at McMaster... Dropping the ball on Florence (and blowing the whistle by calling SoE as early as he did) this is gonna be so much worse for the SC Midlands and he hasn't declared crap

He doesn't deal with natural disasters nearly as well as Nikki Haley did. He either goes back and forth on the severity of the situation or he does what he's doing now and says nothing at all. Also, is it just me or does our NWS office not seem up to par with others in the region?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WintersNotComing said:

He doesn't deal with natural disasters nearly as well as Nikki Haley did. He either goes back and forth on the severity of the situation or he does what he's doing now and says nothing at all. Also, is it just me or does our NWS office not seem up to par with others in the region?

Not at all, I called them out on Twitter during the Coastal Clipper back in January (one of the proudest moments of my life) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

DT just posted on his Facebook page that Michael is now at 915mb and 160mph. Cat 5.

Because of course he did.  Hype machine in full effect.  Whether it's winter with 2 foot snow storms or tropical armageddon, it makes headlines.  Not saying he's wrong, but I don't see it anywhere else....yet.  Not sure how he can always be "first to know" on literally all things weather.

Because of course he did.  Hype machine in full effect.  Whether it's winter with 2 foot snow storms or tropical armageddon, it makes headlines.  Not saying he's wrong, but I don't see it anywhere else....yet.  Not sure how he can always be "first to know" on literally all things weather.
Take it with a grain of salt. It is after all, DT. I have looked elsewhere as well and see no mention of it.

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

He's basing it off of the extrapolated pressure of 915 mb... which is nowhere in the data file that I can see... Last pass was 919 mb