Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Michael

Solak

7 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Yeah, Scotts post got my attention. I'm off for the next two days and was briefly entertaining the thought of a road trip.

Michael has gone beast mode.  It’s truly amazing to me that we still lack the ability to predict hurricane intensity even a day or two out.  I looked back at the previous forecasts of a low end cat 1 hitting.  My have we come a long way from that in such a short amount of time.  

I guess the lesson we can learn is never underestimate the fuel that GOM bathwater can provide to a storm.  Michael had some things going against it like shear and asymmetrical lopsided presentation and he has just continued a steady March towards where he is now.  Just amazing. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Michael has gone beast mode.  It’s truly amazing to me that we still lack the ability to predict hurricane intensity even a day or two out.  I looked back at the previous forecasts of a low end cat 1 hitting.  My have we come a long way from that in such a short amount of time.  

I guess the lesson we can learn is never underestimate the fuel that GOM bathwater can provide to a storm.  Michael had some things going against it like shear and asymmetrical lopsided presentation and he has just continued a steady March towards where he is now.  Just amazing. 

We might just see history made here. I watched recon most of the night. Those guys are hero's in my book. They got the crap beat out of them last night and just kept going back in. There's a reason they stayed at it. I think we are about to witness the reason.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

NAM 3k showing good west side enhancement as the storm goes extra tropical, it drags that band of heavier wind all the way offshore......its probably overdone a bit but not by much.......should see more aggressive wind forecast for NC as all models have anywhere from 50-80 mph winds widespread over the eastern half of the state....

3k.thumb.jpg.760a84b1d6048e0816b21a67fe11b02a.jpg

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

It makes me wonder how many Cat4/5 there have really been over the last 7-8 decades, back before we had good sat images and aircraft there could have been dozens or hundreds of storms who true peak in strength is not known.

In the end this unfortunately looks like Michael's name is going to end up on that short list of monsters that have hit, Andrew, Camille, Hugo, etc....

Euro still has it kicking ass in GA this could be a massive hit for places that might not be expecting it...

euro.thumb.png.1781f1a95dfb2e958cd7659f199b596d.png

Euro also shows widespread gust into the 60-70 range well into NC again the power outages will reach into the millions if this Euro run is right....

2084693731_euronc.thumb.png.1d7ba9b3e37f0b33c0cdc616dc34a0e1.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

No doubt at some widespread TS winds inland.  I was just referring to that 10-20 miles wide area that will contain the hurricane force winds far inland.  I remember opal was fierce but I distinctly remember ending up in what was left of the eye wall.  It was horrible even here in west Atlanta. Anyone who gets in there with Michael is going to really feel the wrath even well inland. IMO 

Opal made for a long night in Asheville.  I have family in Raleigh so hoping it doesn't get too bad there but hate to see what it is going to do to the Panhandle.

2 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

If it continues northeastward like that in the following few hours we could be looking at bridge closures in Charleston. Wouldn't surprise me if the big one in Savannah is shut down for a while as well.

SCE&G or whoever serves the area between here and Columbia will be very busy later this week.

I’m seeing due north movement. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

I’m seeing due north movement. 

I was referring to the model downeastnc posted, I should've quoted him. Looks like the worst of it would pass through my back yard around midday tomorrow and I'm in for a show either way. There are some huge trees on the perimeter of KCHS to watch from a window near my desk, or some 85' pines in adjacent yards if I'm at home. The road from the airport to 526 would likely be impassable if things start to get interesting.

edit: I've also been seeing what Orangeburgwx noticed.

19 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

NAM 3k showing good west side enhancement as the storm goes extra tropical, it drags that band of heavier wind all the way offshore......its probably overdone a bit but not by much.......should see more aggressive wind forecast for NC as all models have anywhere from 50-80 mph winds widespread over the eastern half of the state....

3k.thumb.jpg.760a84b1d6048e0816b21a67fe11b02a.jpg

3km nam is even a bit worrisome here with the nw eyewall located right over me for a few runs now.  Considering how strong it is, It seems a given now, short of a sudden right turn, that i should get some good gusts here. I'm happy to see FFC decided to extend the tropical storm warnings to athens/here. As bad as it will be at the coast, i think the damage across south/central georgia to trees is going to be scary extensive.  A lot of folks are going to be without power for quite a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

I'm thinking they are too quick on the intensity drop... It is going to stay a hurricane longer than they have forecasted imo, stadium effect looks to be starting in the eyewall so we might be on the way to Cat. 5

If we were going to get a 4th category 5 landfall I'd put it in the gulf.

9 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Not off to a good start here from this pre storm rain. Tropical downpours here this morning led to a lot of accidents on US 221. A good 8 mile chunk of the road in the county is shutdown due to multiple accidents. 

Unbelievable that the escarpment is looking to get flooded again; IIRC a little over a week ago the last flooding occurred.  I guess the only bright spot is fall sets in after this which should bring some welcome NW winds and allow the escarpment to finally start drying out but between now and then...

20 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

It makes me wonder how many Cat4/5 there have really been over the last 7-8 decades, back before we had good sat images and aircraft there could have been dozens or hundreds of storms who true peak in strength is not known.

In the end this unfortunately looks like Michael's name is going to end up on that short list of monsters that have hit, Andrew, Camille, Hugo, etc....

Euro still has it kicking ass in GA this could be a massive hit for places that might not be expecting it...

euro.thumb.png.1781f1a95dfb2e958cd7659f199b596d.png

Euro also shows widespread gust into the 60-70 range well into NC again the power outages will reach into the millions if this Euro run is right....

2084693731_euronc.thumb.png.1d7ba9b3e37f0b33c0cdc616dc34a0e1.png

This time may be different, but the Euro grossly overestimated the winds over the Piedmont of NC.  I think some TS winds are possible, but I wouldn’t take the euro wind forecast at face value. 

TW

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

This time may be different, but the Euro grossly overestimated the winds over the Piedmont of NC.  I think some TS winds are possible, but I wouldn’t take the euro wind forecast at face value. 

TW

Its not just EURO.  NAM, UK, CMC, even GFS all show 60mph gusts or higher.

Not to mention that Michael's current pressure is 15-20mb lower than any of those models.  While that will not fully translate up to NC it could very easily be stronger than the models currently have it over NC.

2 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Its not just EURO.  NAM, UK, CMC, even GFS all show 60mph gusts or higher.

Not to mention that Michael's current pressure is 15-20mb lower than any of those models.  While that will not fully translate up to NC it could very easily be stronger than the models currently have it over NC.

I'm going to get hammered... Keep in mind I live in the southern CSRA

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

I'm going to get hammered... Keep in mind I live in the southern CSRA

Winds could easily be even higher for you. My wind speeds were for NC.  70-80mph gusts seem possible for you.

This is not our traditional hurricane.  It is not JUST speed either.  The frontal enhancement as well as the intial stages of a change to cold core will make the system more efficient at bringing winds down to the surface.  Most models are now really picking up on this.

• Like 1