Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Michael

Solak

6 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

124kt (150mph) winds found by the aircraft at flight level...

Is this b**** going to go Cat 5?

Oh they've found 130 knots in the last half hour. Classic rapid intensification going on tonight. Best hope now I guess is that it peaks and begins to weaken before landfall.

12 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

124kt (150mph) winds found by the aircraft at flight level...

Is this b**** going to go Cat 5?

Certainly looks like a high end Cat 3/Cat 4

Looks like they’re rolling with 125mph and 950mb for now. 

Surprised there isn’t more chatter in here. Not often you’ve got a strengthening major about to hit the FL Panhandle. 

Going to be a long couple of days. Stay safe everybody! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherlover said:

I was just thinking the same thing... don’t see it turning quite as hard as projected...  either way this storm is a monster and nothing to be taken lightly...  I think inland winds will be much more of an issue even into the Carolinas 

Exactly, I have a hard time believing that areas of east Alabama like Auburn/Opelika and parts of west central Georgia like Metro Atlanta are going avoid unscathed by this system.  It's westward bend is indicative of a likely shift further west than being forecasted by the models.  I'm here in Atlanta and feel like we are going to experience 39+ mph winds gusts for an extended period in the next 36 hours and we are not prepared again for this.  I feel like this is the surprise nobody is expecting from this system is a shift to the west when it makes landfall.  This thing reminds me too much of Opal, all the way down to its track.

• Sad 2

So this is my new point and click forecast from MHX....I was like whhhhhaaaaattttt....thats different.

Thursday Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 84. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible

Thursday Night Hurricane conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

22 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

HRRR has 65kts gusts (74mph)pushing into SC at hour 36.Has 80kts(92mph)in S. central GA at hour 28.

HRRRSE_sfc_gust_036.png

This storm is going to knock out power to so many people....millions will be without power by the time it gets off NC coast....the HRRR did excellent with Flo and Matthew as far as winds go....

• Like 1

From the NHC 11pm discussion. Wild: 

Similar to the previous advisory, the environment ahead of Michael
is expected to remain conducive for additional strengthening until
landfall occurs due to SSTs of at least 85 deg F beneath the
hurricane, combined with decreasing vertical wind shear along with
the shear vector shifting from current west-northwesterly to a less
hostile southwesterly component, which will be more along Michael's
forecast track. As a result, Michael is now explicitly forecast to
become a category 4 hurricane before landfall occurs.

How many times have we had a panhandle landfall maintain Tropical Storm status as it exits off the NC coast (which right now is around Corolla)?  The only way that can happen is when a cyclone is truckin' fast (which is exactly what it's forecast to do).

Shoot, this thing is currently forecast to maintain tropical system status across 4 states. It would only take a slight shift west for it to exit off the VA coast. (might as well go for 5 states....right?)

Looking pretty strong this morning.  Looks like it might strengthen some more, too.  I’m curious if it might sneak up to Cat 4 by landfall.

This looks to be a historic storm.  I don’t believe a storm of this caliber has hit this part of the panhandle in many decades, maybe longer.

That will be three hurricanes/strong tropical storms since I’ve moved to Tallahassee.  For a place that I was under the impression didn’t get many hurricanes (and it had been over 30 years sincerely one hit before Hermine in 2016), they sure seem to be pretty common all of the sudden.

4 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Looking pretty strong this morning.  Looks like it might strengthen some more, too.  I’m curious if it might sneak up to Cat 4 by landfall.

This looks to be a historic storm.  I don’t believe a storm of this caliber has hit this part of the panhandle in many decades, maybe longer.

That will be three hurricanes/strong tropical storms since I’ve moved to Tallahassee.  For a place that I was under the impression didn’t get many hurricanes (and it had been over 30 years sincerely one hit before Hermine in 2016), they sure seem to be pretty common all of the sudden.

Look at the topical tidbits recon... They are doing eyewall laps and finding it is still strengthening

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wake4est said:

They seem really sold on the idea of strengthening over land as it leaves NC.  What would be responsible for that?

I remember way back when, the remnants of Hurricane Andrew after hitting Louisiana doing the same thing over NC.

Don't often see this wording.  From NWS TALLAHASSEE:

Hurricane Michael Local Statement Advisory Number 14...RESENT
National Weather Service Tallahassee FL  AL142018
1257 AM EDT Wed Oct 10 2018 /1157 PM CDT Tue Oct 9 2018/

This product covers EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE...FLORIDA BIG BEND...SOUTHEASTERN ALABAMA AND SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA

**UNPRECEDENTED EVENT EXPECTED FOR THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE AND BIG BEND**
  • Thanks 3

States of Emergency Issued Brunswick & Pender Counties..

Voluntary Evacuation Orders Issued for Low-Laying areas in Pender County..

state of emergency will go into effect at 8 a.m. Thursday. The Town of Burgaw in Pender County declared a state of emergency effective at noon Tuesday.

“We urge our residents to secure tarps on their rooftops,” said Tom Collins, Pender County Emergency manager. “Secure lawn furniture and items that could become flying debris.”

Collins warned residents whose homes were damaged in Hurricane Florence to be mindful of weakened structures.

“When the ground is this saturated, trees fall. Power lines are taken down,” Collins said. “If you are sheltering in place, prepare for periods of being without power. Stock up on fresh water and refresh your emergency kits.”

Tropical Storm Watch

• Coastal Pender  

Coastal Brunswick  

Robeson  County

Columbus  County

Bladen  County

New Hanover County

Onslow County

Duplin County

Flash Flood Watch

• Bladen  
  • Inland Brunswick  
  • Inland Georgetown  
  • Columbus  
  • Coastal Horry  
  • Darlington  
  • Coastal Pender  
  • Williamsburg  
  • Coastal Georgetown  
  • Marlboro  
  • Dillon  
  • Northern Horry  
  • Inland New Hanover  
  • Robeson  
  • Coastal Brunswick  
  • Central Horry  
  • Marion  
  • Coastal New Hanover  
  • Inland Pender  
  • Florence  

Full list of *CURRENT* Weather Related alerts at link 

http://www.wect.com/weatheralerts/

57 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Euro has nasty winds for Eastern NC. This will end up much worse than Florence wind wise. I'm gasing up this morning bf the soccer moms figure things out.

GFS and 3k NAM have a decent swing west. 3k NAM brings the center thru CLT, while the GFS has it going thru Anson County NC

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_6.png

• Thanks 1