Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Michael

Solak

4 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

That makes sense, thank you sir.

This frame shows the storms in NC east of the center, semi discrete and probably moving north at 40-60 mph......would be very efficient at bringing down stronger winds and would probably have their fair share of rotations....every frame of the run is like this as it crosses northern SC and NC....so after blasting FL/GA it could be a strong tornado threat for the Carolinas....

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_57.thumb.png.8646dd0fa20a91a7c5a51e531f5d6345.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Suncat said:

Are there any early estimates of rainfall amounts along Michael's path?  Parts of NC and SC are still pretty wet from Hurricane Florence!

There's still a wide range of possible tracks for the storm. As others have stated the heaviest bands should be to the NW of the storm; particularly the farther north you get. But right now, that could be in the west , central, or east. NHC currently has the central portions of the SE as the highest zone, but again that could easily change.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152906.shtml?rainqpf#contents

12 minutes ago, Suncat said:

Are there any early estimates of rainfall amounts along Michael's path?  Parts of NC and SC are still pretty wet from Hurricane Florence!

Most official totals I am seeing are 4-6" and most of that is over the parts of NC that didn't really flood to bad.....wind will be the bigger issues.....lots of houses with blue tarps on the roofs still and trees that are leaning or damaged...wont take to much to get them all down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

This frame shows the storms in NC east of the center, semi discrete and probably moving north at 40-60 mph......would be very efficient at bringing down stronger winds and would probably have their fair share of rotations....every frame of the run is like this as it crosses northern SC and NC....so after blasting FL/GA it could be a strong tornado threat for the Carolinas....

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_57.thumb.png.8646dd0fa20a91a7c5a51e531f5d6345.png

that does make it more interesting imby after 6pm thur.

30 minutes ago, Lookout said:

wrf now gets it down into the upper 930s at landfall. Unless there is an EWC, sure looks like a bad one for the panhandle and well inland. 

An EWC would make things a hell of a lot worse... Would widen the windfield and with over 24 hours of open water left it could really ramp up

21 minutes ago, Lookout said:

wrf now gets it down into the upper 930s at landfall. Unless there is an EWC, sure looks like a bad one for the panhandle and well inland. 

uk ticked ever so slightly south but it's in the noise range. wrf/hmon continue to be very consistent with their track..likely bringing 60 to 75mph gusts through much of central ga. If such a track verifies...and Given the robust convection all models are showing on it's north/northwestern side, would expect to possibly see some fairly impressive gusts here too.. So looks like uk/euro vs everything else after landfall.  (edit to add...euro came in just a touch further north.) The differences aren't huge but enough to make a pretty big difference wind wise for my back yard. 

FFC finally extended the TS watch north and looks pretty good now. Although an argument could be made to extend it north another row or two of counties Considering the robust convection the models are showing on the northern half of the system..

I'm excited to finally get so much needed rain  but amen to that. 

I think FFC could stand to beef up the max wind gusts more. I have little doubt we're going to see widespread 60-70mph+ gusts in that southwest part of their CWA. They are going to need to update this current one.

image_full6.thumb.png.e7464c2eec4a13e63381586b07713fef.png

Here is the latest update on the NWS Southern Region tropical webpage regarding the wind threat for central GA. You can find this information for your specific area at https://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical

Just click on the "threats and impacts" tab and zoom in!

Curious to see if FFC will put out a map with gusts reflecting this potential...

unnamed.thumb.jpg.d56ac24b190ad29900e9a4f2c7194744.jpg

20 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

An EWC would make things a hell of a lot worse... Would widen the windfield and with over 24 hours of open water left it could really ramp up

I was talking about an ewc right before landfall....Unless there is some sudden intrusion of dry air or something, that seems to be the only thing possible that could limit it from maxing out as it comes in. 

16 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

I think FFC could stand to beef up the max wind gusts more. I have little doubt we're going to see widespread 60-70mph+ gusts in that southwest part of their CWA. They are going to need to update this current one.

image_full6.thumb.png.e7464c2eec4a13e63381586b07713fef.png

yep they are being very conservative....i'm trying not to be too critical since there is still time to adjust  but  the winds are likely under estimated for sure.  The euro has tropical storm force gusts all the way to athens now. I've seen  the euro  over estimates wind gusts at imes  but based on this mornings run and other modeling which are a bit further north, i think a watch is probably a good idea from lagrange to athens at least. I am a bit concerned that areas in central georgia could be caught off guard with how strong the winds are. 

ecmwf_max_gust_se_84.png

Just now, Lookout said:

I was talking about an ewc right before landfall....Unless there is some sudden intrusion of dry air or something, that seems to be the only thing possible that could limit it from maxing out as it comes in. 

yep they are being very conservative....i'm trying not to be too critical since there is still time to adjust  but  the winds are likely under estimated for sure.  The euro has tropical storm force gusts all the way to athens now. I've seen  the euro sometimes over estimates wind gusts but based on this mornings run and other modeling which are a bit further north, i think a watch is probably a good idea from lagrange to athens at least. I am concerned that areas in central georgia could be caught off guard with how strong the winds are.

Agreed.

Here is new 12z Euro max gusts from 5-8AM Thursday morning. These gust maps are inflated and that has been well documented on this board. It's probably a good idea to take 15-20% off the given max value to get a realistic idea of what would actually happen if the Euro is correct. Still that paints a widespread 60mph+ area across central/southern GA

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/georgia/gusts-3h-mph/20181011-1200z.html

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018100912_48_508_379.png

2 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

Agreed.

Here is new 12z Euro max gusts from 5-8AM Thursday morning. These gust maps are inflated and that has been well documented on this board. It's probably a good idea to take 15-20% off the given max value to get a realistic idea of what would actually happen if the Euro is correct. Still that paints a widespread 60mph+ area across central/southern GA

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/georgia/gusts-3h-mph/20181011-1200z.html

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018100912_48_508_379.png

These maps were about 15-20 mph overdone in Florence.  Still, 70 mph wind gusts are nothing to talk down. 

6 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Check out the max along the escarpment on the euro, right through Big Frosty turf.

According the the Raleigh NWS my forecasted highest sustained winds where 12 mph from this mornings package. Gonna be TS+gust, especially SE part of county with easily 4-6 rain county wide.

Yeah very interesting. Euro just showed 68 mph wind gust here on the escarpment. 

Kind of what all have been saying. GSP echo's 

On Thursday morning, the heavy rain should move in across metro
Charlotte and the rest of the wrn Piedmont, so the Flash Flood
Watch will begin at 6 am /10Z Thursday/. Some of the model guidance
is showing a good signal for very heavy rain on Thursday across
metro Charlotte. Given the experience last month with Florence,
the highest threat for flash flooding might exist in that area, so
we will be keeping a close eye on that. As for the tornado threat,
although the right front quad does not move into the fcst area,
we will not rule out the tornado threat wrapping into the I-77
corridor starting mid-morning on Thursday and continuing into
the afternoon. The storm will be moving northeast quickly, so the
back edge of the precip will cross the fcst area SW to NE in the
afternoon and evening on Thursday. The best wind gust potential
might actually exist in the pressure gradient on the west side of
the system late in the day.

LOL...

Check out OUR Local NWS Statement.. 

Can you spot the Mistake?????

Otherwise a very, Nasty Forecast on Tap..

I agree with with @Lookout, the Dews & Temps are going to be interesting afterwards..

Again as @downeastnc & @shaggy have  pointed out Folks here in SENC are going to get "whacked" with Micheal, Blue Tarps scattered thoughout the CWA area(s), this  is going to be added Misery, a TKO A-La McGregor 

fxus62 kilm 092009
afdilm

Area forecast discussion
National Weather Service Wilmington NC
409 PM EDT Tue Oct 9 2018 …...

-------------------------------

Short term /Wednesday night through Thursday night/...
as of 300 PM Tuesday...increasing deep tropical moisture feed
ahead of micheal will produce periods of heavier rain and gusty
showers leading into Thursday as Michael approaches from the
south. Michael will weaken as it moves into our area from the
south. The main effects will periods of strong gusty winds,
heavy rain, coastal flooding or run up during times of high
tides, and possible tornadoes.

Pcp water reaches up near 2.5 inches Wed night into thurs as
winds increase out of the south to southeast in the outer
circulation of micheal. Expect gusty showers to move on shore
through Wed night and then trop storm conditions spreading north on
thurs as micheal reaches the area thurs morning. The center is
still forecast to move up the I-95 corridor through the day on
thurs exiting out just north of Hatteras Fri morning, with winds
forecast to reach up to 40 to 50 mph. The strongest winds will
be found in heavier rain showers and thunderstorms. The fast
moving storm should produce up to 2 to 4 inches of rain in
places with isolated higher amounts. Flash flooding in
possible, especially inland where heavier rain should be
focused.

As the weakening storm moves toward and across eastern
Carolinas on thurs, tornadoes will become a concern, especially
as the increase in shear will be coincident with diurnal
heating. The impacts across the local area will be worsened by
the fact that the area may be much more vulnerable due to
Florence, in terms of wet ground leading to fallen trees, tarps
on roofs, etc...

Florence will track off to the northeast with plenty of dry air
wrapping around the back end heading into Fri morning. This will
lead to clearing skies and overnight lows dropping into the 60s,
still above normal but cooler than previous days. The tropical
air mass will maintain warm and humid conditions through thurs
with temps well above normal, 80s during the day on thurs.

Looking pretty beastly now.  Up to 120 MPH.  It does look like the worst should pass west of Tallahassee, though things look very bad for places like Panama City, St. George Island, etc.  I’m glad my apartment is on the NE side of town.  Hopefully nothing too bad happens there.  I will be in Normandy tomorrow. :)

Interesting change to the NHC wind prob maps for NC at least.....last advisory there was no chance over NC anywhere and now there is a 20-30% chance of seeing hurricane force winds....will be interesting to see if these numbers go up, also looks decent for gust to 55 over a nice hunk of NC.....might have to see them tropical storm watches spread west some...also expect hurricane force wind chances to grow in central GA, I  think they ramp this storm down way to fast....

1788142939_58mph.png.3b2803f0839323c65312004874c90864.png

213230.png.d18af8ea496e26a2d01c8b9aa1dfd7df.png