• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

Major Hurricane Michael

16 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

Between the troll posts, I'm hoping this doesn't get lost. 
Curious as to the history of storms maintaining Hurricane and then TS force winds this far out from landfall and traveling across the country? It astounds me that this is still a TS causing damage on another coast. 

It was strong enough at LF to hold together for a while, it's moving fast enough, and it's getting well ventilated by the approaching front.

Frederic in 1979 stayed a TC for a ridiculously long time after landfall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sickman said:

It was strong enough at LF to hold together for a while, it's moving fast enough, and it's getting well ventilated by the approaching front.

Frederic in 1979 stayed a TC for a ridiculously long time after landfall.

Yeah. It actually isn't that uncommon for central gulf coast landfalls where the storms are rapidly accelerating northeastward. Opal in 1995 which wasn't quite as strong but moving a little faster caused wind damage into Tennessee.

1 minute ago, sakau2007 said:

Yeah. It actually isn't that uncommon for central gulf coast landfalls where the storms are rapidly accelerating northeastward. Opal in 1995 which wasn't quite as strong but moving a little faster caused wind damage into Tennessee.

That I've seen, but to maintain tropical storm status this far along seems to be an anomaly. I suppose I could google it but I'm tired so maybe tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Trees bent as the base but not snapped? Incredibly odd. From Josh in Panama City

DpQvDu2WwAEPjYo.jpg:large

It's caused by winds being strong but not too strong. Typical low end cat two damage. A real storm would have snapped them off at the base and sent them flying. 

4 minutes ago, MUWX said:

It's caused by winds being strong but not too strong. Typical low end cat two damage. A real storm would have snapped them off at the base and sent them flying. 

Makes sense because this was in Panama City outside of the worst part of the eyewall. The city seems to have sustained C2-C3 level damage. Perhaps far eastern neighborhoods like Callaway(?) getting into C4. I've seen some relatively impressive damage pictures from there, while obviously paling in comparison to Mexico Beach.

Is it just me that finds the absence of a built in UPS on the various automated weather stations incomprehensible?

My home computer in NYC has a modest UPS, cost $200, that keeps things going long enough to allow a graceful shutdown at a minimum when the power goes out.

Surely the US could afford to fit the automated weather stations with something similar. It is just another box in the setup, no extra maintenance required, which would prevent losing the data just at the worst time.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Low end cat 2 would have kept most of them upright. Look at the video of Mexico beach from Simon Brewer and see how those trees were pushed to the ground. 

From looking at aerials/pictures from Panama City and towns just to the east plus tweets from experienced chasers like Josh, looks like there was a lot of structural damage to commercial/industrial buildings from Panama City east to Springfield/Callaway/Parker. Residential buildings seemed to vary based on quality of construction/strength of winds at given location etc.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Low end cat 2 would have kept most of them upright. Look at the video of Mexico beach from Simon Brewer and see how those trees were pushed to the ground. 

These trees were hit by sustained high winds, so they bent as the winds intensified and then broke at the bending points. A sudden gust would have snapped them further up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, etudiant said:

These trees were hit by sustained high winds, so they bent as the winds intensified and then broke at the bending points. A sudden gust would have snapped them further up.

Yep. 

If there were any doubts that Michael remains a tropical storm, the following was the 8:54 pm observation from Richmond:

11 20:54 N 41 G 56 1.50 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy BKN010 OVC015 68 66     93% NA NA 29.31 992.9 1.02  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Is it just me that finds the absence of a built in UPS on the various automated weather stations incomprehensible?

My home computer in NYC has a modest UPS, cost $200, that keeps things going long enough to allow a graceful shutdown at a minimum when the power goes out.

Surely the US could afford to fit the automated weather stations with something similar. It is just another box in the setup, no extra maintenance required, which would prevent losing the data just at the worst time. 

Or just have deploy-able weather stations,  Like this one, accept not so tall that it gets blown over.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Anyone have that satellite imagery where you can see the beach through the eye as it passes over? 

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

If there were any doubts that Michael remains a tropical storm, the following was the 8:54 pm observation from Richmond:

11 20:54 N 41 G 56 1.50 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy BKN010 OVC015 68 66     93% NA NA 29.31 992.9 1.02  

If it were not for the total devastation that happened in Florida, what is happening now would be big news.   Flooding in many Southern VA locations.  

• Like 2

Just now, bubbler86 said:

If it were not for the total devastation that happened in Florida, what is happening now would be big news.   Flooding in many Southern VA locations.  

I agree. Danville must have gotten 6" or more rain before the data stopped being transmitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hlcater said:

Trees bent as the base but not snapped? Incredibly odd. From Josh in Panama City

DpQvDu2WwAEPjYo.jpg:large

Slash Pines are quite flexible and this shows these were very healthy, perfectly matured trees with no interior structural problems to allow them to flex until they were pushed to the ground. This is indicative of extremely intense winds over 120mph where these did not snap with explosive gusts. Impressive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1