Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,515
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews
    Joined
WxWatcher007

Major Hurricane Michael

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

Between the troll posts, I'm hoping this doesn't get lost. 
Curious as to the history of storms maintaining Hurricane and then TS force winds this far out from landfall and traveling across the country? It astounds me that this is still a TS causing damage on another coast. 

It was strong enough at LF to hold together for a while, it's moving fast enough, and it's getting well ventilated by the approaching front.

Frederic in 1979 stayed a TC for a ridiculously long time after landfall.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sickman said:

It was strong enough at LF to hold together for a while, it's moving fast enough, and it's getting well ventilated by the approaching front.

Frederic in 1979 stayed a TC for a ridiculously long time after landfall.

Yeah. It actually isn't that uncommon for central gulf coast landfalls where the storms are rapidly accelerating northeastward. Opal in 1995 which wasn't quite as strong but moving a little faster caused wind damage into Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sakau2007 said:

Yeah. It actually isn't that uncommon for central gulf coast landfalls where the storms are rapidly accelerating northeastward. Opal in 1995 which wasn't quite as strong but moving a little faster caused wind damage into Tennessee.

That I've seen, but to maintain tropical storm status this far along seems to be an anomaly. I suppose I could google it but I'm tired so maybe tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Trees bent as the base but not snapped? Incredibly odd. From Josh in Panama City

DpQvDu2WwAEPjYo.jpg:large

It's caused by winds being strong but not too strong. Typical low end cat two damage. A real storm would have snapped them off at the base and sent them flying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MUWX said:

It's caused by winds being strong but not too strong. Typical low end cat two damage. A real storm would have snapped them off at the base and sent them flying. 

Makes sense because this was in Panama City outside of the worst part of the eyewall. The city seems to have sustained C2-C3 level damage. Perhaps far eastern neighborhoods like Callaway(?) getting into C4. I've seen some relatively impressive damage pictures from there, while obviously paling in comparison to Mexico Beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me that finds the absence of a built in UPS on the various automated weather stations incomprehensible?

My home computer in NYC has a modest UPS, cost $200, that keeps things going long enough to allow a graceful shutdown at a minimum when the power goes out.

Surely the US could afford to fit the automated weather stations with something similar. It is just another box in the setup, no extra maintenance required, which would prevent losing the data just at the worst time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MUWX said:

It's caused by winds being strong but not too strong. Typical low end cat two damage. A real storm would have snapped them off at the base and sent them flying. 

Low end cat 2 would have kept most of them upright. Look at the video of Mexico beach from Simon Brewer and see how those trees were pushed to the ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From looking at aerials/pictures from Panama City and towns just to the east plus tweets from experienced chasers like Josh, looks like there was a lot of structural damage to commercial/industrial buildings from Panama City east to Springfield/Callaway/Parker. Residential buildings seemed to vary based on quality of construction/strength of winds at given location etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Low end cat 2 would have kept most of them upright. Look at the video of Mexico beach from Simon Brewer and see how those trees were pushed to the ground. 

These trees were hit by sustained high winds, so they bent as the winds intensified and then broke at the bending points. A sudden gust would have snapped them further up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, etudiant said:

These trees were hit by sustained high winds, so they bent as the winds intensified and then broke at the bending points. A sudden gust would have snapped them further up.

Yep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there were any doubts that Michael remains a tropical storm, the following was the 8:54 pm observation from Richmond:

11 20:54 N 41 G 56 1.50 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy BKN010 OVC015 68 66     93% NA NA 29.31 992.9 1.02  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Is it just me that finds the absence of a built in UPS on the various automated weather stations incomprehensible?

My home computer in NYC has a modest UPS, cost $200, that keeps things going long enough to allow a graceful shutdown at a minimum when the power goes out.

Surely the US could afford to fit the automated weather stations with something similar. It is just another box in the setup, no extra maintenance required, which would prevent losing the data just at the worst time. 

 

Or just have deploy-able weather stations,  Like this one, accept not so tall that it gets blown over.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Anyone have that satellite imagery where you can see the beach through the eye as it passes over? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

If there were any doubts that Michael remains a tropical storm, the following was the 8:54 pm observation from Richmond:

11 20:54 N 41 G 56 1.50 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy BKN010 OVC015 68 66     93% NA NA 29.31 992.9 1.02  

 

If it were not for the total devastation that happened in Florida, what is happening now would be big news.   Flooding in many Southern VA locations.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bubbler86 said:

If it were not for the total devastation that happened in Florida, what is happening now would be big news.   Flooding in many Southern VA locations.  

I agree. Danville must have gotten 6" or more rain before the data stopped being transmitted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hlcater said:

Trees bent as the base but not snapped? Incredibly odd. From Josh in Panama City

DpQvDu2WwAEPjYo.jpg:large

Slash Pines are quite flexible and this shows these were very healthy, perfectly matured trees with no interior structural problems to allow them to flex until they were pushed to the ground. This is indicative of extremely intense winds over 120mph where these did not snap with explosive gusts. Impressive.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×