• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    luongvandan38
    Newest Member
    luongvandan38
WxWatcher007

Category Five Hurricane Michael

Interesting views of Mexico Beach. I suspect that even this area did not get the highest winds given the post a few posts above mine showing the pressure difference between two locations only about 4 miles apart. A lot of surge damage there-looks worse than the wind damage by far it appears.

There is going to be a narrow area showing the results of the highest winds. Will be interesting to see the Tyndall destruction and how it compares to the base at Homestead.

*and yikes at the 115mph gust all the way into Georgia ! I wonder when the last time was when anywhere in Georgia got a 115mph hurricane gust?

• Like 1

Parts of Mexico beach look like a tsunami hit. Just slabs and mounds of debris. Gonna be a very long time for them to recover.

Any word on if that entire train was flipped by wind or water?

9 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Parts of Mexico beach look like a tsunami hit. Just slabs and mounds of debris. Gonna be a very long time for them to recover.

Any word on if that entire train was flipped by wind or water?

I believer way back in this thread someone noted that it had to be wind-the location of the train overturn was too high in elevation for it to be anything else.

3 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

I believer way back in this thread someone noted that it had to be wind-the location of the train overturn was too high in elevation for it to be anything else.

they had a weather channel reporter who was standing next to the train... she said their was no water anywhere near this train had to be from the wind.. usually you don't see trains over turned unless it's from the winds of a tornado...then again she said it did not look like tornado damage in the area she was in.. so it probably was from the wind of the hurricane itself...

• Like 1

I hope the people who downplayed potential damage feel absolutely terrible about themselves right now.

Reading this thread last night was flat out sickening. Trolls or not, it was awful. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 12

I'm just glad it seems like the death toll is so low so far, I really hope it stays that way.

scary to think how bad this would have been if it had come ashore only about 10 miles farther west. That would have likely taken out both PCB and PC completely with both wind and storm surge.

Thankfully this storm managed to come ashore at probably the least populated spot in the entire area. That is extremely lucky. 

I'm guessing the train derailment has to be up 231 somewhere. There are no train tracks near the ocean, so it definitely is not storm surge, that could only be from wind.

The video from Marianna is pretty sobering. We drive through there on our way to the beaches, that isn't even close to the coast, at least 50 miles inland. 

The early video from Mexico Beach is just heartbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pro....

If you don't like looking foolish on occasion. don't become a met, and never try to predict anything. If you do, you'll eventually be wrong.

I think the particular problem here is not really being wrong, it is in the context of being wrong while downplaying a severe weather threat where the downplaying may cost lives. Being wrong is acceptable, downplaying risk in a severe weather situation is never really or at best rarely acceptable IMO-the price to be paid when wrong is too high.

• Like 1

Just now, sojitodd said:

I think the particular problem here is not really being wrong, it is in the context of being wrong while downplaying a severe weather threat where the downplaying may cost lives. Being wrong is acceptable, downplaying risk in a severe weather situation is never really or at best rarely acceptable IMO-the price to be paid when wrong is too high.

Those who downplayed the storm because the wind recording were cut short due to failure, were ones that also were criticizing the storm  prior to landfall. Hi Cranky.  You would think some of these guys would use their head regarding why there were not higher recordings....and not to mention it hit a rural area luckily. The pics coming out, should validate the intensity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Those who downplayed the storm because the wind recording were cut short due to failure, were ones that also were criticizing the storm  prior to landfall. Hi Cranky.  You would think some of these guys would use their head regarding why there were not higher recordings....and not to mention it hit a rural area luckily. The pics coming out, should validate the intensity. 

Posters that made these comments should get an automatic weenie tag! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cary said:

That flipped "fight jet" is definitely one of the static displays on most bases. Terrible damage, but just wanted to point that out for anyone that may have been wondering.

• Like 3

The videos are just heartbreaking! I know that most of us were expecting this would be a likely outcome but it doesn’t make it easier to see. I to am happy there is not a higher loss of life. These are going to be very trying and difficult times for the residents as this area is only served E to W by 98. The closet N to S access is in Port St Joe or back in Parker. I frequent this area several times a year and the people are some of the nicest in the state. My thoughts & prayers are with all of them! One blessing is the Tyndall buffer zone is approximately 10 miles long and inhabited by animals and pines. This is my guess to where the worst was.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MPLS said:

I hope the people who downplayed potential damage feel absolutely terrible about themselves right now.

Reading this thread last night was flat out sickening. Trolls or not, it was awful. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

I have to agree....i've seen many  absurd  comments over the years and it's hard to be surprised anymore that people say some dumb things but even i  was pretty amazed at some of the idiotic comments last night.  The idea anyone could possibly argue that a 919mb hurricane is cat 2 or that the damage wasn't that bad is some next level foolishness...to put it mildly.  

At any rate, sad to see such destruction.

• Like 6

There appear to be a number of suburban-type housing developments on that base. Will be interesting to see what they look like. Apart from the extensive damage to the buildings, the tree damage seems very severe at and around the base.

I also wonder what some overheads of the Calloway area north of the base and east of Panama City proper will look like.

I drove the entire stretch of US 98 from Destin around to Tampa in early 2016. This is all heartbreaking to see. And there's a lot of sparsely populated (and clearly lower income) areas, especially around Apalachicola. There's going to be a lot of hurt.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm not sure what the wind rating is for an ASOS tower but some DOT RWIS towers are rated to 125 mph.  But it was only a Cat Zero. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh man, Cranky. :rolleyes:

There's a barrier island in front of them and that might have limited much of the surge.
(screen capped a portion from LSM's chaser map) -

map-tyndall-mexico-beach.thumb.PNG.6aef536fb09f3ab16e5ac0cbf083367f.PNG

That’s Crooked island and I’m guessing it helped. Most of the base proper is constructed somewhat away from water so my guess is that the base damage is almost exclusively wind damage.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

That’s Crooked island and I’m guessing it helped. Most of the base proper is constructed somewhat away from water so my guess is that the base damage is almost exclusively wind damage.

Yeah looking at some of the posted overhead video shots plus recalling a couple chasers who drove on 98 through the base, there appeared to be pine woods on either side (including the ocean side). I think I saw a post last night (or maybe on another forum) that indicated the base is pretty much closed until further notice and those who evacuated were to find some place else to stay for the foreseeable future at this point.  Am guessing they'll just reassign them to another nearby base that wasn't damaged (at least as much).

• Like 2