SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

First eye candy of the season, enjoy it, will be gone soon lol

50F5342A-D2C6-4FF0-A57C-097D4305579C.png

B128DB22-E430-4869-9FA7-F889424C18C5.png

Funny thing is while it probably is a unicorn run, the prevailing theme during that timeframe has been to bring in th southern jet with a LP system somewhere in the northeast that drags down the coldest air of the season...if it's not the scenario shown it could very well be the first LES event in the first part of November.

• Like 2

Man that sw that's going to move through later on this evening and the overnight hours looks pretty vigorous on satellite as well as some of the radar returns I'm seeing out in WNY. Surprised there hasn't been a little more traffic on this thread but I guess the bark could be much bigger than the bite sometimes but it sure looks like heavy rain in many locations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That’s right near where I grew up. It’s the subdivision behind Ninos Pizza right along the WS OP boarder...

Yep 2.5 miles due south of me. Pretty crazy stuff for a October. Did have some gusty winds, lots of thunder and lightning, and quite a bit of graupel and hail according to my nest cam. I was actually in Hamburg all day though buying a new vehicle so unfortunately I wasn't able to catch any action first hand. 

Snow and a tornado in one day. Didn’t think that was possible.
Anything is possible when it comes to Weather, and I mean anything. I was living in Fort Collins in 1998 and I can remember it like it happened yesterday.

It was a warm July, yes July afternoon, and I can't remember the exact temp it got to that particular afternoon, but safe to say, it got pretty warm. When we got to the bar, for happy hr that day, it was about 5:30 and like I said it was Sunny and warm when we got there, but all hell broke loose at about 11. I never in my life seen anything like what I seen nor experienced that night in Colorado, or shall I say, what I saw that night. When we left the bar, I was in shorts, as was everyone else including the women we were hanging with. When we stepped outside it was absolutely pouring snow with about 2" OTG already.

I've never seen it go from 78F-82F down to 32 with heavy snow in matter of a few hrs let's say but altitude can easily do it. When that cold front came through, which I later found out was the culprit for the anomalous weather we were experiencing that night in early July, everything changed and quick, because when we left it was like a shock to my system, lol.

Not a bad day today near ‘Cuse.  Not to mention ‘Cuse victory. Solid fall weather although mostly cloudy and no rain other than an early sprinkle. Forecasts were definately more pessimistic than reality.  Hopefully same on Sunday, just chillier.
Yes they were, as the temps were not expected to get to where they got so that was a surprise, that's why I don't think we're gonna see anything other than a few pessimistic flurries, come tomorrow, well I dont think anyway.

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Anything is possible when it comes to Weather, and I mean anything. I was living in Fort Collins in 1998 and I can remember it like it happened yesterday.

It was a warm July, yes July afternoon, and I can't remember the exact temp it got to that particular afternoon, but safe to say, it got pretty warm. When we got to the bar, for happy hr that day, it was about 5:30 and like I said it was Sunny and warm when we got there, but all hell broke loose at about 11. I never in my life seen anything like what I seen nor experienced that night in Colorado, or shall I say, what I saw that night. When we left the bar, I was in shorts, as was everyone else including the women we were hanging with. When we stepped outside it was absolutely pouring snow with about 2" OTG already.

I've never seen it go from 78F-82F down to 32 with heavy snow in matter of a few hrs let's say but altitude can easily do it. When that cold front came through, which I later found out was the culprit for the anomalous weather we were experiencing that night in early July, everything changed and quick, because when we left it was like a shock to my system, lol.

That happens all the time though. We get cold fronts here where it goes from 70s to 20s in a few hours with lake effect bands coming behind it dumping feet of snow. What happened today is extremely rare. I didn't think you could get a supercell like what happened over West Seneca and snow in the same day. It has to only happened a handful of times. 

Still sitting at 43F so I doubt we see anything here, where I am, about 20 miles inland from the shore. A stary night out there tonight as theres not a cloud in the sky, well at least at the moment there isn't. It also feels extremely dry as the CF pushed through so I'm feeling quite pessimistic about seeing any precip at all, nevermind whether its frozen or not. We have to get the moisture in here first.

Apparently NWS is saying this tornado was previously a waterspout that came though Buffalo Harbor, lifted up for 10 minutes but maintained rotation and touched back down again. Last year we had a lot of these funnel clouds move over land and get spotted. But this is the first time I think I’ve ever heard of one setting back down.

12 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Apparently NWS is saying this tornado was previously a waterspout that came though Buffalo Harbor, lifted up for 10 minutes but maintained rotation and touched back down again. Last year we had a lot of these funnel clouds move over land and get spotted. But this is the first time I think I’ve ever heard of one setting back down.

Yeah waterspouts are common this time of year, but tornados. I don't ever remember a Tornado with temps in the 40s. 

Just need it a little more west lol Good run for the center of the state up into northern NE..
ecmwf_T850_us_fh144-216.thumb.gif.7db8189e56aba44bae37d5a036f39a23.gif
Wow, it seems as though both models seem to be keying in on the same time frame which from this lead time is quite unusual to say the least. I'm almost certain the GFS will lose it when we get between 4-6 day lead time. If this does come to fruition, this might have to go into the books as one of the earliest. I think it'll make it at least into the top 10. If these two models look this way come Wed, then ill jump on the train otherwise I'll be a bystander for now.

Anyway, started as IP/SN mix but it looks like its gonna switch over pretty quickly as it looks like there's a band setting up on a NNW trajectory right over my house. Yeah I know, not a conducive wind flow, but don't laugh, as I've seen a band connected to James Bay once, on this trajectory, and Lake Effect King can vouch for me on that one, cause we couldnt believe what we were seeing, lol. It looked pretty awesome on both the water vapor loop and the visible sat image as it was quite evident on both.