• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

The current pattern is exactly why I wanted to move out of the Lake Plain (of Lake Michigan) and to a higher elevation. Too stressful playing the "how are lake temps going to ruin it" game. Lol
That band tomorrow night is looking pretty good for those of you to the south. Looks like some lighter upslope snows here after the system goes through.

• Like 1

XL Parachutes are falling with a temp of 34F. Also a new headline for Oswego , Wayne and No. Cayuga

Wayne-Northern Cayuga-Oswego-
Including the cities of Newark, Fair Haven, and Oswego
345 AM EST Tue Nov 13 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Total snow
  accumulations of 5 to 10 inches possible in the most
  persistent lake snows.

* WHERE...eastern Wayne, Northern Cayuga, and western Oswego
  counties.

* WHEN...From this evening through Wednesday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the Wednesday morning
  commute.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Gotta think that if these temp trends continue we are going to have a very BN month temperature wise for November...in fact I'd be willing to bet that from about the 15th of October to now has been very below average and there are only good signs ahead as previously posted above. 

But below normal temps don't equate to snow. As BuffaloWeather posted these well below normal temps now with no good setups for lake effect for the metro in the foreseeable future is just killing all the lakes warmth so when we finally get a chance late in Nov or in Dec it's likely not going to be as good as it could have been had it not been so well below normal now.  The lake is already in the upper 40s and could be close to 40 by the end of the month. I know it's still early but I'm not liking the chances at all for above normal snowfall for the Niagara Frontier at all. I think storms will stay mainly to our east and lake effect events will be predominantly WNW to NW for the next several weeks. Ski country and SE and E of L.O. looks to be in a good spot but around Buffalo we'll be lucky to see scattered dustings here and there through at least Thanksgiving, but I suppose that's not out of the ordinary this early in the season. 

40 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

But below normal temps don't equate to snow. As BuffaloWeather posted these well below normal temps now with no good setups for lake effect for the metro in the foreseeable future is just killing all the lakes warmth so when we finally get a chance late in Nov or in Dec it's likely not going to be as good as it could have been had it not been so well below normal now.  The lake is already in the upper 40s and could be close to 40 by the end of the month. I know it's still early but I'm not liking the chances at all for above normal snowfall for the Niagara Frontier at all. I think storms will stay mainly to our east and lake effect events will be predominantly WNW to NW for the next several weeks. Ski country and SE and E of L.O. looks to be in a good spot but around Buffalo we'll be lucky to see scattered dustings here and there through at least Thanksgiving, but I suppose that's not out of the ordinary this early in the season. 

Yeah im not worried at all. Plus 41 or 42 degrees lake temperature isn't end all especially when I believe sufficient cold air will be around for some time...it will all work out.

I see his gripe because with a normal seasonal change, as the Jet strengthens and starts to move South, usually systems come in through the Mid-west then head for the Lakes, as the Jet is still too far North, for any real Cold air intrusions.  As this occurs, systems pass by to our West, usually, and hence the SSW-SWerly flow which usually develops and smashes KBUF and the usual hot spots with a SW flow off Erie!

This year is the exact polar opposite and I don't see a change anytime soon unfortunately. The Jet is diving Southward as if Its Winter time already with Arctic Intrusions never mind a bit o cold air that usually invades during November besides the anomalous years like the current one.  I see nothing but NW-WNW-Werly flow events for the foreseeable future unfortunately but that doesn't mean anything, cause this can all change on a dime....... But I don't see that dime just yet!

It's just hard to imagine KBUF not seeing a few feet of LE during any given Winter so....Time will tell.

8 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

The current pattern is exactly why I wanted to move out of the Lake Plain (of Lake Michigan) and to a higher elevation. Too stressful playing the "how are lake temps going to ruin it" game. Lol
That band tomorrow night is looking pretty good for those of you to the south. Looks like some lighter upslope snows here after the system goes through.

My next move. Talk about zero stress. ^_^

7CEC2CB9-1F59-4C32-80BC-3C5FAA8F35A1.jpeg

• Haha 1

For the GTA this has been a waste of a pattern. At the beginning of this pattern I was pumped but now its nothing but strike out after strike out and friday looks identical to the past systems. 34F wet snow that barely accumulates if at all and disappears. A milder pattern is on the horizon but with the continuation of downward temps, it will be tough to notice. Just more temps in the upper 30s-upper 40s  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I see his gripe because with a normal seasonal change, as the Jet strengthens and starts to move South, usually systems come in through the Mid-west then head for the Lakes, as the Jet is still too far North, for any real Cold air intrusions.  As this occurs, systems pass by to our West, usually, and hence the SSW-SWerly flow which usually develops and smashes KBUF and the usual hot spots with a SW flow off Erie!

This year is the exact polar opposite and I don't see a change anytime soon unfortunately. The Jet is diving Southward as if Its Winter time already with Arctic Intrusions never mind a bit o cold air that usually invades during November besides the anomalous years like the current one.  I see nothing but NW-WNW-Werly flow events for the foreseeable future unfortunately but that doesn't mean anything, cause this can all change on a dime....... But I don't see that dime just yet!

It's just hard to imagine KBUF not seeing a few feet of LE during any given Winter so....Time will tell.

So true.