• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Hey Matt, this site is clunky as hell. I eventually got a photo shrinking app. It sounds like your photos have too much data. 

Some camera apps also take pics with a lower data file. Max is 1.95 MB. There might also be a setting on your actual phone to decrease the the size of each pic. 

Its a pain. And you can’t use normal emojis either. This site is very old. 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Try to crop the photo matt until it allows you to upload lol 

Sometimes i'll screenshot the photo then edit and upload..

50 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Hey Matt, this site is clunky as hell. I eventually got a photo shrinking app. It sounds like your photos have too much data. 

Some camera apps also take pics with a lower data file. Max is 1.95 MB. There might also be a setting on your actual phone to decrease the the size of each pic. 

Its a pain. And you can’t use normal emojis either. This site is very old. 

Thanks for the tips, guys. I will continue playing around with it.

29 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Well at least it looks like Winter up there, lol!

Yep! Still have snowcover in most places after today.

I feel BUF NWS should divide this area of Oswego county from the rest of it. Definitely Winter Weather advisory potential for this area but none issued because the rest of the county won't get too much.

I will have to get used to averaging between Oswego and Lewis counties here. :P

Only 500 people live in Redfield. The NWS doesn’t really divide any counties aside from Erie county here in WNY. The difference between northern Erie and Southern is the difference in 200”+ annual average Across the Boston Hills and 70” across far northern Erie county. I think they only do it because we have almost a million in this county. 

Little better

As the surface low becomes better organized over the Mid Atlantic
region...a strengthening baroclinic zone will set up across
Pennsylvania and southeast New York...and to a lesser extent back
across our forecast area. This developing boundary will then be
acted upon by a south to southwest flow beneath H85 that will
obliquely force a deepening moisture field to produce fairly strong
frontogentic lift. Some assistance will be given to the deep layer
of ascent by the entrance region of an incredibly strong 185 kt
H25 jet.

Light snow will break out across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes
region after about 03z...with the precipitation spreading north and
west during the course of the night. The most widespread pcpn should
be experienced between about 08 and 13z. While the bulk of the pcpn
tonight should be in the form of snow...there could be some rain
mixing in...especially for sites north of the NYS Thruway between
BUF and SYR. Its worth noting that guidance is `colder` than
previous model runs...and point soundings suggest a fair amount of
evaporational cooling at the onset...both pointing towards more snow
and less rain. Snowfall amounts tonight will range from a coating to
an inch across the bulk of the lake plains...to 2 to 3 inches across
the higher terrain of the Srn Tier and also for the Tug Hill. Have
expanded the winter weather advisory for Lewis County to also include
much of the Southern Tier...as 24 amounts could reach as high as 6
inches and also because it is still relatively early in the season.

NWS mentions it in the latest disco

Off Lake Ontario...the longer fetch combined with upstream
connection will produce a moderate to heavier snowfall likely
targeting Wayne, Northern Cayuga and Oswego counties. Will continue
to highlight the potential for heavier snowfall -- half a foot or so
over a 24 hour period -- in the HWO with headlines still not out of
the question. As drier air builds in during the day Wednesday will
look for diminishing snows through the afternoon and evening
hours...with lingering snow showers into the early overnight hours
of Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Kbgm does split up Oneida county and kalb does the same with herkimer..

But they don't divide it by townships, they just split the counties. Either way its very rare. Usually only do it in high population zones where weather extremes have high variance. They would have to divide WNY about 100 different ways because of how high of a variance the winter weather here is from Niagara county to ski country in the hills. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

But they don't divide it by townships, they just split the counties. Either way its very rare. Usually only do it in high population zones where weather extremes have high variance. They would have to divide WNY about 100 different ways because of how high of a variance the winter weather here is from Niagara county to ski country in the hills. 

I understand your point, but at the same time, when Redfield averages 100 to 150 inches more than locations 15 to 20 minutes away...Seems like it would make sense to simply divide the county between southwest and northeast.

I guess BUF does do this within the county forecast by saying "in the Tug hill." Even though the population is sparse, this is a highly popular winter recreation area and having more location-specific warnings would be helpful.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I understand your point, but at the same time, when Redfield averages 100 to 150 inches more than locations 15 to 20 minutes away...Seems like it would make sense to simply divide the county between southwest and northeast.

I guess BUF does do this within the county forecast by saying "in the Tug hill." Even though the population is sparse, this is a highly popular winter recreation area and having more location-specific warnings would be helpful.

I disagree entirely. It would require far to much detail in the forecast for too few mets. They have a massive coverage area that encompasses such diverse micro climates it would literally be impossible to predict. Even though its a popular place for winter weather activities it simply does not have enough people living there to make much of a difference. Ellicottville has more people visit there for winter sports than anywhere in their forecast zone. For example, Niagara Falls averages 50-60" a year and has millions that visit it each year, Ellicottville averages 180-200" a year and has tens of thousands visit it for skiing/boarding/etc... Perrysburg averages 2-250" a year but only has 1600 people living there. Should they make a forecast specifically for that town? That just doesn't make much sense at all. Every 10 miles you go south/southeast from the Falls to ski country you average another 10" per snow a year. The same applies from Rochester to the Tug. Every 25 or so miles east of ROC you go you average another 10". That's not even mentioning the elevation differences that have huge affects on total snowfall. 

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

In the maps they create for specific LES events as you'll see shortly they forecast higher snowfall amounts in Redfield, Lowville, etc... then places closer to the lake. As you already mentioned they use the phrase "Tug" as the hardest hit zone on average east of Ontario. In WNY its called "Ski Country" (Ellicottville/South Dayton/Mayville/Springville/etc...) which encompasses even more towns in generality than the "tug" if that makes any sense. ^_^ 

I've visited here a few times and have taken quite a detailed tour as I've always wanted to be a Meteorologist. They have an incredible team here. But they would need double the staff to get that detailed for winter weather forecasts. Funding has already been cut severely the last few years with the trump administration. 

https://www.weather.gov/buf/Staff

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

In the maps they create for specific LES events as you'll see shortly they forecast higher snowfall amounts in Redfield, Lowville, etc... then places closer to the lake. As you already mentioned they use the phrase "Tug" as the hardest hit zone on average east of Ontario. In WNY its called "Ski Country" (Ellicottville/South Dayton/Mayville/Springville/etc...) which encompasses even more towns in generality than the "tug" if that makes any sense. ^_^ 

Yeah, it does. It wasn't my intention to get in an in-depth debate over this. :) As mentioned, BGM splits some of their counties for the climate differences, so not sure why BUF doesn't. I am not implying imbyism as ONLY Redfield, but a split in the county roughly along Route 13 from Williamstown to Altmar to Pulaski would make climatological sense. Main bands, depending on winds usually set up north or south of that line. Having a similar split in Chautauqua county would be similarly feasible.

I’m not sure they average that much more lol

Over the last 25 years Fulton has averaged 176” a year, I think north Redfield is 288 if I’m not mistaken, places to the north of Fulton prob average 200+ 

Redfield stats also come from the northern part of the township and we all know it’s a pretty big town lol