• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

I don't think WNY (West of ROC) sees more than 2" from this...NAM is wrong and everything will be east. You guys may actually be in a better spot (far enough east to get better moisture and just far enough west to be cold enough to keep it mostly snow). My call now is BUF 1", ROC 2", SYR 4". After next weekend pattern looks to flip and whole country looks to flood with pacific air. Could be till December after this before we see more legit chances at snow. With only 0.7" of snow (all of which falling on Friday) we could be ending November with next to nothing in the snow department. Pretty cruddy after what looked like it could be a promising start a couple days ago but I guess that's why our average high is still nearly 50 and BUFs average first 1" isn't until NOV 18th. Wake me up when November ends. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I don't think WNY (West of ROC) sees more than 2" from this...NAM is wrong and everything will be east. You guys may actually be in a better spot (far enough east to get better moisture and just far enough west to be cold enough to keep it mostly snow). My call now is BUF 1", ROC 2", SYR 4". After next weekend pattern looks to flip and whole country looks to flood with pacific air. Could be till December after this before we see more legit chances at snow. With only 0.7" of snow (all of which falling on Friday) we could be ending November with next to nothing in the snow department. Pretty cruddy after what looked like it could be a promising start a couple days ago but I guess that's why our average high is still nearly 50 and BUFs average first 1" isn't until NOV 18th. Wake me up when November ends. 

Week 3 will be warm as we head into a warm MJO phase and go zonal with Pacific air. However, I like the look for the turn of the month into December when it really matters. The 3rd twitter link I posted is IMO the most important to a good winter. Almost every winter outlook I've seen predicts above normal snowfall/below normal temps. I think the coldest month will be February. I'm still at where I was back in Sep/Oct. +5-10% snowfall and near to slightly below normal temps. 

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

RGEM and HRDPS both much better looking. We’re still talking only 3-6”, but much better runs. 

NWS certainly not impressed with valley accumulations. 

I was thinking the same thing. They just muddled over any potential even up here on the Tug...and then downplayed Friday's event as well.

BGM's discussion has a completely different tone, and more wintry.

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

eps_slp_m_neng_9.png

eps_slp_lows_neng_10.png

1000-1005 MB, it never fully occludes. Its just a weak open wave riding along the frontal zone that never brings in any cold air. Rates will be low, ground is still warm, and it's going to be wet snow if any does fall as snow. It's nothing for anyone under 1k feet. It does hit overnight for most areas, so there is that potential. 

• Like 1

It does appear that as we approached this storm thermal profiles trended warmer than forecast just 48 hours ago. It does appear likely that it will just be sloppy and a bit slushy at lower levels through Tuesday afternoon when the cold air deepens. Might squeak and inch or two Tuesday evening but I think that's up in the air as well. Looks like November will be below normal when all is said and done but without any great accumulating snows at the lower levels to write home about. Bring on December!!!

• Like 1

KBUF

Temperatures at 850 hPa will bottom out to around -15C Tuesday night
across both lakes...which will increase lake induced equilibrium
levels to around 12-14K feet. Deep moisture through the snow growth
zone will produce light to moderate bands of snow downwind of Lake
Erie, across the Boston Hills and western So. Tier where several
inches of snow are likely. Across Lake Ontario, where better
convergence along the long axis of the Lake will be found and an
upstream connection to Georgian Bay, moderate to heavy snow is
possible near Wayne-Northern Cayuga-Oswego counties. The band of
snow may meander some, and any changes in upstream wind flow could
alter overall snow totals...thus at this time we will continue to
mention the prospect for accumulating snows...potentially around a
half a foot...SE of Lake Ontario in the HWO. If the band does not
shift as much as the upper level trough passes overhead...then
greater snow accumulation is possible.

Little bit of improvement on the projected snowfall with 2”-3” “inching” its way towards me and obviously more towards Matt..

Temperatures and critical thicknesses will be marginally cold enough
to support snow. Model consensus suggests that once precipitation
starts and evaporation cools the air column, it will be cold enough
to support snow in most locations. As a result, precipitation will
start as a rain or snow mix, but then change over to snow. Warmer
air aloft may change precipitation back to rain across southern and
eastern portions of the cwa late in the night. 

9D67C785-602C-4712-8DAA-6829BE85384D.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Little bit of improvement on the projected snowfall with 2”-3” “inching” its way towards me and obviously more towards Matt..

Temperatures and critical thicknesses will be marginally cold enough
to support snow. Model consensus suggests that once precipitation
starts and evaporation cools the air column, it will be cold enough
to support snow in most locations. As a result, precipitation will
start as a rain or snow mix, but then change over to snow. Warmer
air aloft may change precipitation back to rain across southern and
eastern portions of the cwa late in the night. 

9D67C785-602C-4712-8DAA-6829BE85384D.png

I am right on the 4 inch line. Almost all of the 12Z runs are showing 3 to 6 inches of snow for this area.

Roads had to be plowed Friday and Saturday nights...already building snow "banks" (mini...Lol) along sides of roads. My guess is they will be much bigger by this weekend. :)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Tug Hill Matt is gonna be pretty popular around here. It’s going to be great to have eyes on the ground up in that region. I might become insanely jealous. 

I have been trying to post pictures from my phone, but every image seems to be too many bytes. :( Don't know how to change that...