• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just like the other cold shots and lake effect opportunities so far this fall, this one is looking less exciting with every discussion.

Agreed, unless we're getting overly enthused about a mediocre mid fall weather pattern, which may very well be the case. Unless we see where this trough for next week set's up, then we really cant pin-point any real sensible weather cause the pattern is in transition in which models are notorious for either bringing the cold to quick or too slow, so.  From these eyes, the pattern is quite ripe for something significant to pop, especially early next week, but where seems to be the question,  I DO NOT believe the NWS with their LP track freom Erie across LO into the St Law valley then a transfer.  So esentially their expecting the primary to hang on for a very long time before transferring most of its energy earlier to the developing coastal, like down across the Delmarva, and this can be because of the still somewhat northerly positioned Jet Stream that's still in the process of dropping with natural seasonal changes.

Yeah this weeks LE potential went from good to so-so to straight horrific, lol, not that it was all that great to begin with but it got better for KBUF which may be the winner for this early dwindling event.  I was at lest confident at one point we'd at least have snow in the air Saturday but now I'm starting to question that as well, but North of me around WOlfie and MAtt it still looks decent, and by decent I mean 2-4" if lucky!

8 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

True, said this before!  Perhaps we're expecting too much for this time of yr.

I mean the potential is there. The cold air will 100% be there, synoptic support will be there, shear is an issue. But if this comes to fruition you guys will be happy. The 3 lake super connection is starting to show up next Tues/Weds. That band would produce 2-4"+ per hour. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_26.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean the potential is there. The cold air will 100% be there, synoptic support will be there, shear is an issue. But if this comes to fruition you guys will be happy. The 3 lake super connection is starting to show up next Tues/Weds. That band would produce 2-4"+ per hour. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_26.png

This cant happen, lol, because the heaviest part of the band is literally right over my house, lol!

I think this maps looks like the best representation with what I think may happen wit next weeks system.

sfcwind_mslp.conus.png

Primary gets to about SW WV then pops a secondary down near the outer banks and comes right up the coast.  We'll see how this wrks out during the coming days.  The models are in no sort of agreement at all wrt next weeks system.

FV3 Pretty much unchanged..
fv3p_T850_neus_fh126-144.thumb.gif.b2593c21aeedbd242d99459dbe5de772.gif
What an awesome track this would be if f in the middle of Winter, wow, but I think we see quite a few of these this yr, for sure. STJ will be rockin and rollin as well this yr, so theres quite a few ways we can see active weather around these parts this yrs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And just like that the snow potential for BUF goes POOF! 12k tries to get it close to the metro but the 3k keeps it well south... oh well... nice discussion from NWS on the reasoning behind the model spread.

The upper level trough will slowly move eastward and across our
region through Saturday. This sets the stage for the first
significant lake effect snows of the season. Model guidance is in
poor agreement, with a wide spread in the track and strength of this
low leading to uncertainty in the wind direction. The model
disagreement is likely due to the close proximity of a closed, or
nearly closed, 500 mb low which is often challenging for model
guidance to accurately predict. The most noteworthy model difference
is the NAM which forecasts southwesterly winds which would suggest a
greater potential for snow in the Buffalo metro area Friday night
into Saturday. Although it is possible this will verify, the overall
model consensus suggests it is less likely to verify. It is more