• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Chilly night ahead, frost advisory issued..

..FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM EDT FRIDAY...

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from 1 AM to 8 AM EDT Friday.

* LOCATIONS...Oswego County. Locations well inland from lake
  Ontario.

* TEMPERATURE...In the mid 30s.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Anyone want to take a very early guess at seasonal totals for upstate major locations?

here’s my guesses

KBUF: 89.1”

KROC: 106.7”

KSYR: 128.9”

KART: 114.2”

KALB: 45.0”

KBGM: 68.3”

KITH: 58.9”

KJHW: 103.4”

KIAG: 72.5”

KFZY: 186.6”

Whatever the normals are, I'm going 5-10% higher for this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Prepping for winter? Haha 

Its been a little dry as of late, looking good for some needed rain this week..

E42A4E8B-BDAE-4356-B111-B01316E31CF1.jpeg

14677B84-0C96-4443-ABA0-7C2EBA036E86.png

Dry as of late? It has been raining LOTS the past couple weeks...at least here to your east. The first half of July was super dry...but since then it has been rain rain rain.

Some big time training storms are coming through tonight. Constant thunder and lightning right now. 
codnexlab.NEXRAD.BUF.N0Q.20181007.055.024ani.gif&key=bcf1d0705d90e62f8c95f8bc25d86ec87eba8e3fd72703a7005414975de573c5

I just had a lighting alert on my phone saw that radar... WOW impressive. You look like your gonna get crushed those storms are coming right down the tracks... If those do train could be some flooding issue in your area.

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Northern Cattaraugus County in western New York...
  Southern Erie County in western New York...
  Northern Chautauqua County in western New York...

* Until 230 AM EDT.

* At 1028 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the warned area. Up to two inches of rain have
  already fallen. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Dunkirk, Fredonia, Springville, Westfield, Gowanda, Silver Creek,
  North Collins, Ashford Hollow, Chaffee and Lake Erie State Park.

16 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Im kinda shocked this thread isn't at least discussing the prospects for the first flakes this weekend over the tug and interior western southern tier. And Monday-Wednesday timeframe looks to bring an actual cold airmass with 40's for highs if the GFS has been correct the past 8 runs or so.

Looks meh. Maybe highest hilltops over the Southern Tier (over 2k') and some of the dacks catch a few mangeled flakes but for the other 99.5 % of us we'll see just plain old rain with temps in the upper 30s and low 40s. Will certainly feel like fall though, and definitely a step in the right direction. It sure beats mid 80s while trying to pick out a pumpkin...

• Haha 1

I know it's in fantasy land but the GFS is really showing true cold air at the end of the 00z run that would leave no doubt about what form precip would be in. And that's after the chilly air this weekend into early next week...i think this hurricane has really done all of us a solid and pushed the Bermuda high back where it belongs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Im kinda shocked this thread isn't at least discussing the prospects for the first flakes this weekend over the tug and interior western southern tier. And Monday-Wednesday timeframe looks to bring an actual cold airmass with 40's for highs if the GFS has been correct the past 8 runs or so.

Still very early in the season.  First flakes aren't all that exciting in October.  First measurable snow is whole different story.  This board will light up once we get into Mid November if there are legit chances.  

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Still very early in the season.  First flakes aren't all that exciting in October.  First measurable snow is whole different story.  This board will light up once we get into Mid November if there are legit chances.  

It usually lights up with first lake effect event. I always get excited for first flakes but tough to not enjoy the weather out right now. Took the dog for a walk last night and still felt like summer. 

3 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Colors really starting to blossom here, went up to Watertown the other day to some awesome colors, caught me off guard lol I may have to take my first trip to the Adirondacks to see beauty at its best..

D8AC55B0-46A1-4067-8ABA-D24F058471C9.jpeg

I’d say for my part  of CNY this year is a fail for foliage.

More  than 50% of the leaves already down and colors have been underwhelming to say the least.

Mostly muted yellows and browns.

Im not sure why.

BuffaloWeather...you have said on numerous occasions that the one winter season that you keep coming back to in the analogs is 76-77. If im not mistaken didn't that year start cold in mid October and just go full force winter right through mid February? I'm not suggesting that is what is going to happen here as that is a once in a lifetime winter, but, I do wonder if we may get into a pattern evolution that may take the form of what our winter on a whole will look like...your thoughts?

8 hours ago, cny rider said:

I’d say for my part  of CNY this year is a fail for foliage.

More  than 50% of the leaves already down and colors have been underwhelming to say the least.

Mostly muted yellows and browns.

Im not sure why.

I have noticed that as well. I was wondering if it was normal for the area.

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm actually most excited for Matt up in the Tug. Unless I'm mistaken, he hasn't seen an Eastern lake effect snow band going full force. Hopefully we get a nice 12" per hour band going off the tug sometime this winter. 

Thanks! I have never experienced a band off of Lake Ontario.

I am starting to get excited with snow shower possibilities showing up for next week.

My boss here said that he has seen 2 feet of snow on October 24th before.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

I have noticed that as well. I was wondering if it was normal for the area.

Thanks! I have never experienced a band off of Lake Ontario.

I am starting to get excited with snow shower possibilities showing up for next week.

My boss here said that he has seen 2 feet of snow on October 24th before.

Here is a good link to get caught up on the last 25 years of LES events. 

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=A

Redfields biggest event: 142"

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2006-2007&event=L

Lake Effect Summary - Feb 03 2007 to Feb 12 2007 - Storm Total Snow Map

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

BuffaloWeather...you have said on numerous occasions that the one winter season that you keep coming back to in the analogs is 76-77. If im not mistaken didn't that year start cold in mid October and just go full force winter right through mid February? I'm not suggesting that is what is going to happen here as that is a once in a lifetime winter, but, I do wonder if we may get into a pattern evolution that may take the form of what our winter on a whole will look like...your thoughts?

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ny/buffalo/KBUF/date/1976-10

Around mid month it got colder and stayed cold and snowy the entire winter. It's a very rare analog.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BuffaloSnow