Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs Thread

George BM

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Elakala falls similarly with high flow.  Trail was so wet and muddy we decided not to attempt the lower falls.  

uai8sei.jpg

That's definitely a higher flow than when I was there. I am looking at the photo I took right now- its on my fireplace mantle lol. From the vantage point in your photo I climbed down to water level and took a picture of the falls. Ended up being one of my all time favorite shots.

21 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That's definitely a higher flow than when I was there. I am looking at the photo I took right now- its on my fireplace mantle lol. From the vantage point in your photo I climbed down to water level and took a picture of the falls. Ended up being one of my all time favorite shots.

Yeah. I wanted to do the same, but it was impossible in those conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

looks to be another dreary day on tap.

I'd really like to be able to mow the lawn w/o it being caked in dew

Need to mow badly.  Choice between wet grass today or mowing in the summer heat tomorrow. :sun:

I might do it this afternoon to avoid watching the Noles get their eyeballs beaten out by Miami.

Man I am so done with this stagnant upper ridge. Warm and humid, and the damn mosquitoes wont go. Not fun being outside for an extended period. One more week of this grossness, then hopefully we are on to some actual nice fall weather. Putting my outside projects on hold until then. Tired of sweating and getting bit, lol. Enough already.

• Like 4

Going to be gross today. 

It was 78f and humid in deep creek yesterday.  81f in Oakland.  77f passing through Davis.  Came down the mountain and car thermometer hit 88f in moorefield.  75f and completely sunny at 530 when I got home.  Cooler here than the mountains all weekend.  Smh.

Sure was neat doing all the waterfall hikes in the wet period though.  Have so many good pics and memories.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Going to be gross today. 

It was 78f and humid in deep creek yesterday.  81f in Oakland.  77f passing through Davis.  Came down the mountain and car thermometer hit 88f in moorefield.  75f and completely sunny at 530 when I got home.  Cooler here than the mountains all weekend.  Smh.

Sure was neat doing all the waterfall hikes in the wet period though.  Have so many good pics and memories.

I did the same 'waterfall tour' a couple summers ago when I went on a hiking trip. If course, I intentionally went there during summer, expecting summer weather, lol. I think it was probably overall more comfortable then, as compared to your "fall" trip. I remember the humidity being pretty low.

It is gorgeous out there, and some of my best ever shots were taken in that area. I still want to get out to Canaan during winter and do some snowshoeing. With my schedule, it pretty much has to be the first week in Jan, but the weather has not cooperated the past 2 winters. Both times the beaches beat Canaan for significant snow, so I went there instead. Go figure.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

I did the same 'waterfall tour' a couple summers ago when I went on a hiking trip. If course, I intentionally went there during summer, expecting summer weather, lol. I think it was it was probably overall more comfortable then, as compared to your "fall" trip. I remember the humidity being pretty low.

It is gorgeous out there, and some of my best ever shots were taken in that area. I still want to get out to Canaan during winter and do some snowshoeing. With my schedule, it pretty much has to be the first week in Jan, but the weather has not cooperated the past 2 winters. Both times the beaches beat Canaan for significant snow, so I went there instead. Go figure.

I was there just after new years, just as that big cold snap hit.  There was well more than a foot on the ground.  Snowed almost the entire 3 days I was there.  

That Friday high temp there was -2.  Sunday morning I believe it hit -20. Pure heaven.  I hiked for 3 hours that Friday in near blizzard conditions.  The next day we hit the sled track at black water in -1 conditions. 

22 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I was there just after new years, just as that big cold snap hit.  There was well more than a foot on the ground.  Snowed almost the entire 3 days I was there.  

That Friday high temp there was -2.  Sunday morning I believe it hit -20. Pure heaven.  I hiked for 3 hours that Friday in near blizzard conditions.  The next day we hit the sled track at black water in -1 conditions. 

Yeah it always seems to perpetually snow there with a cold air mass, often overperfoming the forecasts. Looking at things 3-4 days prior, it looked to be super cold but seemed iffy for a solid foot on the ground. Not ideal if you want to snowshoe. I'll get there. The blizzard on the beach was amazing, so it was a good decision. Not often you see wind driven powder right on the coast this far south.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Going to be gross today. 

Maybe you should drop your photos in the fall photo thread. It's nice to find them easily and compare from year to year. Just a thought.

• Like 2

84/73, HI over 90
You kidding me?
I was hoping the clouds wouldn't break, but its been pretty much full sun here for a few hours.
This is horrendous weather for October around here. Just hoping the FROPA/TS Mikey clears this crap out for good. I could go for some 60-65 degree days.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic