Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Banter

George BM

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Just for the heck of it, I decided to look at a (random) h5 composite anomaly for November in a year that featured a Nino for the winter months, and AN snowfall. Looks like it was pretty mild.

nov.gif.fbc578fede2fbccf716136d485356f79.gif

A warm November may not be a bad thing at all. Most seasonal models have the best pattern in Jan to March timeframe, however, I be interested to see whether the PV weakening during mid November happens and from there what happens next.  Maybe for the first time ever , well almost ever, we get winter to lock in near Christmas this year. Even a warmish first half of December is not a death blow to the season as a whole. I still like the idea of a cold and hopefully snowy March .  

9 hours ago, frd said:

A warm November may not be a bad thing at all. Most seasonal models have the best pattern in Jan to March timeframe, however, I be interested to see whether the PV weakening during mid November happens and from there what happens next.  Maybe for the first time ever , well almost ever, we get winter to lock in near Christmas this year. Even a warmish first half of December is not a death blow to the season as a whole. I still like the idea of a cold and hopefully snowy March .  

I would love to see things come together early for once. Not that I expect anything like 2009, but if you take the composite I posted for Nov 09, and look at the second half, or third of the month, you can clearly see how the pattern evolved in a favorable direction at the high latitudes, leading into the epic blocking that was to come. Maybe we can get a similar, but less prolific outcome, and perhaps  a bit later. The epic 2009-10 winter coincided with a geomagnetic activity minimum, and there was a -NAO for essentially the whole winter. We are headed towards a solar min, but I believe its a year off. Hopefully a -AO can establish over the coming weeks, and if the PAC continues to look favorable, maybe we get a shot at some winter weather for mid to late December. The NA is a wildcard, and just a guess- but if we do get a sustained negative phase of the NAO, it probably happens the second half of winter.

14 hours ago, yoda said:

Nice Redskins win today... 5-2.  Think thats the first time since 2008 we've been that good re record?  Still 1.5 games up on the Eagles... cautiously optimistic.  However, offense aka Smith really needs to get going.  Offensive line played great and so did AP, but they really need some offense through the air.  Great defense again today even though Giants did score a TD in garbage time very late in the 4th.

I'd take a flyer and see how much DeSean Jackson is worth in a possible trade with Tampa.  Probably won't happen, but rumor is DeSean wants to be traded and would be really nice to have him back on the Redskins with his explosive offensive skillset.

After a couple weeks with Smith as his QB, he'll be demanding another trade...

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

true 

We should have a "no holds barred" anything goes discussion thread and let all the malcontents have at it.  It might be entertaining and we could contain the crazy to one place. 

Agree but you basically just described every storm thread we've ever had. 

• Like 2

Sure enough, I leave N VA and the Redskins are having a very good  season.

The Skins will hit the playoffs and they might even make the Superbowl - and Washington DC ends up with a record breaking snow winter.

You dont need to know science or sports. All you need to know, is I am stuck in the Deep South for life.

THAT, is why the Skins will have one of the BEST seasons they have ever had since the beginning of the NFL, and the Mid Atlantic will have a record breaking snow winter THIS WINTER.

As it was this past summer with all the rain, so it shall be with the snow this winter in the Washington Metropolitan Region.

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

true 

We should have a "no holds barred" anything goes discussion thread and let all the malcontents have at it.  It might be entertaining and we could contain the crazy to one place. 

But we all know that Ji would still do his best to sh*t all over the sane threads.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

But we all know that Ji would still do his best to sh*t all over the sane threads.

I like JI but he has admitted he posts his melt downs in the serious discussion threads because he wants an audience. If we actually did set up a specific place for melt downs and nonsense and he keeps posting that in the serious threads then that probably deserves a warning then a short term suspension if he keeps it up. 

Im not sure I actually want that. I like the jokes and banter that lighten the mood. I'm not trying to squash fun. But we have some people who don't know when to chill out. And we have a few legit crazies. And at times they can turn a good discussion into a complete mess. It's one thing to read a few funny posts then back on topic. But when a whole page becomes nothing but "where's my snow this sucks" it kills the serious discussion. And the worst part is that's exactly what some want. Avant/Vice thinks we should talk global warming 24/7 and wants to derail anything else because it's a distraction from his agenda.  Some others have these melt downs where they decide the weather hates us and we are wasting our time and then they try to destroy the discussion because they think it's useless. It's childish behavior. I'm not talking about the funny banter between friends that goes on. But how do you get rid of one without the other?

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I like JI but he has admitted he posts his melt downs in the serious discussion threads because he wants an audience. If we actually did set up a specific place for melt downs and nonsense and he keeps posting that in the serious threads then that probably deserves a warning then a short term suspension if he keeps it up. 

Im not sure I actually want that. I like the jokes and banter that lighten the mood. I'm not trying to squash fun. But we have some people who don't know when to chill out. And we have a few legit crazies. And at times they can turn a good discussion into a complete mess. It's one thing to read a few funny posts then back on topic. But when a whole page becomes nothing but "where's my snow this sucks" it kills the serious discussion. And the worst part is that's exactly what some want. Avant/Vice thinks we should talk global warming 24/7 and wants to derail anything else because it's a distraction from his agenda.  Some others have these melt downs where they decide the weather hates us and we are wasting our time and then they try to destroy the discussion because they think it's useless. It's childish behavior. I'm not talking about the funny banter between friends that goes on. But how do you get rid of one without the other?

IMO -- we have a banter thread for that reason, and mods to clean up threads when they do get out of hand. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mappy said:

IMO -- we have a banter thread for that reason, and mods to clean up threads when they do get out of hand. 

So Mappy, are you finally coming out of hibernation for the upcoming blockbuster winter? If you are, drag H20 out as well. After all it just isn't the same in here without hearing the bitching from some about how the mods are so unfair. ;)

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Were my efforts to construct and run The Panic Room that forgettable? 

Indeed. That's why I asked Randy for the ability to make the reaper bit real and ban weenies that jump for the rest of the winter. I was denied. 

But you said you gave up that endeavor and some still managed to spew their crazy into all the other threads anyways.  But I loved the panic room.  Hopefully we can continue it in your absence. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I retired, but people are asking me to come back lol. 

Last year was awful. I felt like the two years before we didn't have as much spillover into the main threads, but for some reason there were posters that wanted too much visibility of their meltdowns last year. It went from fun and entertaining to tedious and hostile. 

The beauty of The Panic Room was always that there was a place to let out primal screams and show some creativity when laughing at our collective misery. That place was AmWx board renown. We had everything from songs to poetry to hilarious gifs. You could melt in one thread, collect yourself, and go to the main thread as a semi-normal people. 

I've been on record saying that last year was the most miserable winter I experienced imby. Almost all of that was because of the posting here. 

God help us if this winter doesn't pan out. 

That is exactly what was happening in some cases.  Then I also think after a couple (or a few if 2016 sucked in your opinion) bad years there was a contingent of posters who decided we were all wasting our time and they were going to "save us" from ourselves by blocking up the discussion threads.  That was pretty much my take on what was going on.  They were upset and wanted everything to burn.  They didn't care that they were ruining it for those of us that still wanted to track and have logical discussions about it since they had decided we were being stupid and it was a waste of time.  It was the epitome of immature behavior. 

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I retired, but people are asking me to come back lol. 

Last year was awful. I felt like the two years before we didn't have as much spillover into the main threads, but for some reason there were posters that wanted too much visibility of their meltdowns last year. It went from fun and entertaining to tedious and hostile. 

The beauty of The Panic Room was always that there was a place to let out primal screams and show some creativity when laughing at our collective misery. That place was AmWx board renown. We had everything from songs to poetry to hilarious gifs. You could melt in one thread, collect yourself, and go to the main thread as a semi-normal people. 

I've been on record saying that last year was the most miserable winter I experienced imby. Almost all of that was because of the posting here. 

God help us if this winter doesn't pan out. 

Wait....you mean there ARE semi-normal people here?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

So Mappy, are you finally coming out of hibernation for the upcoming blockbuster winter? If you are, drag H20 out as well. After all it just isn't the same in here without hearing the bitching from some about how the mods are so unfair. ;)

i check the board daily, just don't always post :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree with you completely.

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Happy Holloween RenderedContent-D8E8AD05-BB9C-44FE-B352-13890C8E4D5C.thumb.JPG.2b71c717c8d4ea7d7e03bb82c7af88d1.JPG

LMAO!

Be thankful you dont reside in south central TX. Its 79 with a MUGGY 73 dewpoint UGH.

In other news.........the Mid Atlantic is on pace for a very fun very snowy winter.

Stock up on ice melter, Jebman Shovels and snowblowers.

You are all gonna need em.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic