Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Banter

George BM

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks! 

So I guess I'll leave it alone then and not calibrate it to be in line with the other stations? I have a large yard, so it's basically sited in the middle of the field, away from the driveway, garage, and most trees. I could have tried to place it in the shade, but it would have severely compromised accurate rain collection, wind, and the dew point data since it would have been next to a marshy area. Did my best to follow the NWS guidance on siting. Anemometer couldn't get put on the roof so it's with the wx station in the field. 

wait for a cloudy day and see if it verifies. But i do agree that even with a shield you are gonna get a bit of warmth radiating back off the ground on a sunny day.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I’m going to leave it for now. Nighttime temperatures were close to everyone else, and this is about as good a spot as I’m going to get. Can’t wait to get this station online. 

Send me the link so that when I am sunny, 48F with a wind chill of 18F, I can look at your 22F and heavy snow.

• Haha 1

I was at my parents and they had channel 11 on ( I NEVER watch any  local news). Tony Pann- shameless Twitter hypester- had a 30% chance of rain/snow for the Baltimore area early Sunday morning. And he made a point of playing up the possibility of seeing snow in the air. Without even looking, I bet there is not a NWS  point and click anywhere east of Frostburg with even  a mention of a snowflake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I was at my parents and they had channel 11 on ( I NEVER watch any  local news). Tony Pann- shameless Twitter hypester- had a 30% chance of rain/snow for the Baltimore area early Sunday morning. And he made a point of playing up the possibility of seeing snow in the air. Without even looking, I bet there is not a NWS  point and click anywhere east of Frostburg with even  a mention of a snowflake. 

He’s a mini JB for sure.  He’s good for a morale boost when every model shifts north 72 hours out and we’re left smoking cirrus, yet he’s adamant we see warning level snow.  He’s a weenies dream!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nj2va said:

He’s a mini JB for sure.  He’s good for a morale boost when every model shifts north 72 hours out and we’re left smoking cirrus, yet he’s adamant we see warning level snow.  He’s a weenies dream!

It’s weird. He used to be a super pessimist on snow. Downplayed several of our historic storms at short leads as I recall.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s weird. He used to be a super pessimist on snow. Downplayed several of our historic storms at short leads as I recall.

He plays to a specific audience now- weather weenies, via Twitter. The reality is the TV "weather personality" types are obsolete, just like the sports guy. I mean, other than old people, who also still use land line phones, who really watches that crap? I guess you have to give him some credit for reinventing himself lol. He is awful though.

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Talking about downplaying historic storms, didn't Palka from Channel 5 downplay one of our biggest storms at short lead saying something like what the models were showing wasn't possible or true?  Or am I not remembering that correctly?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

Talking about downplaying historic storms, didn't Palka from Channel 5 downplay one of our biggest storms at short lead saying something like what the models were showing wasn't possible or true?  Or am I not remembering that correctly?

A meteorological impossibility? You sure it wasn't DT?

On 10/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, Bob Chill said:

With decent enso forcing it's very possible that Nov starts showing winter's hand. I'm slowly coming around to the idea that this winter may be pretty good. 

I really like our odds... especially with the $1+ billion jackpot. I remember what happened a short while after the last one. We should be buried alive by Christmas. Even Jebman won't be able to rescue us. :P

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah he was always a very conservative/bearish met- I’m not sure when he changed. I remember Snowmageddon (Part I) he said most of the area would be only 12-15”. 

18 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

If at some point in the next two years job for my wife took us as a compromise location to Hagerstown or thurmont, that’s better for snow than Baltimore on balance, right?

I would think both places would be significantly better. As you get into northern Baltimore County or into Carroll those places would be comparable and maybe better than Hgr or Thurmont. If you have elevation near the Catoctins that obviously helps even more. I lived in Winchester for years and Hagerstown "on balance" did much better but Winchester was better than Baltimore. 

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I think Michigan St vs Michigan delayed for lightning during snow. Meanwhile, Illinois at Wisconsin is being played in snow on fox.

Yep, at this point it's a minimum 1 hour delay.  Besides the thunderstorm that could turn into snow, winds are up and the temperature is dropping fast.

23 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

If at some point in the next two years job for my wife took us as a compromise location to Hagerstown or thurmont, that’s better for snow than Baltimore on balance, right?

Do sabilisville in northern Frederick county. About 15 minutes from Thurmont.  1k feet in elevation.  

There getting snow when other locales are 35 and rain.

• Like 2

Went to the oyster and beer festival down by Nats Stadium today. Was one of the better ones I've been to. All you can eat with over 20 different oysters. Tons of beers and a bunch of different small batch distilleries. I wasn't drinking so my ticket was only $38. Full tickets still weren't bad at $60. Well worth the money overall and had a blast. Highly recommend going next year. I've been to bad festivals before where lines are insane and food is so so. It was crowded but lines werent that bad. Ate at least 5 dozen. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, North Balti Zen said:

Thurmont hands down.  HGR is too far west for good action on coastals.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic