Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Banter

George BM

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Regarding the forum discussion, in college, I liked snow. I still like snow. If you ask me if I have ever seen a whiteout, I'll reply, "Have you?!?"

Regarding the beer discussion, my local beer Jesus (if you saw him and spoke to him, you'd understand) suggested the Yeti Imperial Stout, now in six packs instead of four packs at a reasonable price, or the seasonal Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout. I went with the Sierra Nevada because it is seasonal and I think they are an under-rated brewery. Also reasonably priced and good.

On the homebrew front, I'll be legging my imperial pumpkin ale this weekend and it'll be ready next weekend for anyone that wants to stop by and not talk politics. There's also a New England IPA and a cream ale on draft.

The beer geeks in here need to get together soon. Since I independently rep Key, Duclaw, Hysteria, True Respite, and Charm City Mead, we might have a few things to chat about...and drink. :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Regarding the forum discussion, in college, I liked snow. I still like snow. If you ask me if I have ever seen a whiteout, I'll reply, "Have you?!?"

Regarding the beer discussion, my local beer Jesus (if you saw him and spoke to him, you'd understand) suggested the Yeti Imperial Stout, now in six packs instead of four packs at a reasonable price, or the seasonal Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout. I went with the Sierra Nevada because it is seasonal and I think they are an under-rated brewery. Also reasonably priced and good.

On the homebrew front, I'll be legging my imperial pumpkin ale this weekend and it'll be ready next weekend for anyone that wants to stop by and not talk politics. There's also a New England IPA and a cream ale on draft.

:lol:

As for the beer, the Narwhal is very good. Tried it last year and wasn't sure what to expect. I was surprised. I need to grab some Yeti. I keep seeing it, but always end up getting something else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Tenman should check that out.

For the record: Mitch left on his own accord and wanted his account deleted. Randy knows why, and won't say, because I've asked. So whatever the reason, it's Mitch's reason and I think everyone should stop assuming they know why. 

to RR: feel free to ruffle the feathers, bro. If that is the joy you get in life, then by all means have it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Uh oh...warm November talk...gulp

it hasn't snowed yet.  Back in the 70s/80s/90s/00s it always snowed in Oct by now.  Who didn't make a snowman with a pumpkin as the head and have it last all month?  Remember all the Halloweens that were almost cancelled due to snow drifts swallowing kids in their He-Man costumes?  I used to pull a tobaggan  to carry all my candy over the snow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, H2O said:

it hasn't snowed yet.  Back in the 70s/80s/90s/00s it always snowed in Oct by now.  Who didn't make a snowman with a pumpkin as the head and have it last all month?  Remember all the Halloweens that were almost cancelled due to snow drifts swallowing kids in their He-Man costumes?  I used to pull a tobaggan  to carry all my candy over the snow.

Has anyone told you that you're an old man who yells at clouds?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't want to dig anything back up but I just want to say that I'm really happy this subforum functions as it does. We've seen what happens in the tropical forums... good god.

When I joined this place I was the ripe old age of 14 (13?) and really annoying. You guys bullied me (in a good way) into generally being a better poster. I still know nothing, but find ways to contribute and foster my growth for the love of the hobby. A tighter forum would've kicked me out and in a looser forum I wouldn't have learned my place. This being a place for enthusiasts who yell at clouds and professional meteorologists who also yell at clouds is what makes it such a great, entertaining, informative community. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don't want to dig anything back up but I just want to say that I'm really happy this subforum functions as it does. We've seen what happens in the tropical forums... good god.

When I joined this place I was the ripe old age of 14 (13?) and really annoying. You guys bullied me (in a good way) into generally being a better poster. I still know nothing, but find ways to contribute and foster my growth for the love of the hobby. A tighter forum would've kicked me out and in a looser forum I wouldn't have learned my place. This being a place for enthusiasts who yell at clouds and professional meteorologists who also yell at clouds is what makes it such a great, entertaining, informative community. 

if it makes you feel better, i still know nothing too. i just make y'all pretty maps every winter. its how i earn my keep ;) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mappy said:

For the record: Mitch left on his own accord and wanted his account deleted. Randy knows why, and won't say, because I've asked. So whatever the reason, it's Mitch's reason and I think everyone should stop assuming they know why. 

to RR: feel free to ruffle the feathers, bro. If that is the joy you get in life, then by all means have it. 

I love you too. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There's a two degree difference between my VP2 (in the sun with a radiation shield) and my simple thermometer in the shade. Is that normal? 

I would think even with the shield the thermometer out of the shaded sun has to run warmer.  It measures air temp, and the air above the sunning ground is going to be warmer than that above a shaded spot, unless it is windy.  Does that difference disappear at night?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah. The low was almost dead on with all the other stations, but the daytime temp has been significantly higher. I'm at 47.3 and 12/13 of the others are below 45 currently. 

I don't think my location is a weenie cold spot but I want to be accurate. Not sure if I should calibrate or give it more time to see what happens later in the day. I want to get on WU and have a high quality station. 

NPZ is right.  The actual temperature should vary between sunny and shady places, so you should expect a difference in readings.  It should be muted when it is windy.  

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic