Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter

George BM

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I was half joking. It is fun to look at everything. It is inevitable there will be a time when the advertised pattern actually does look a mess. Hopefully we can save legit panic mode until then lol. 

Not sure why anyone would be panicking at this point. Things look good at this time leading in. Sure as hell beats last year. Don't know how many times I put an optimistic spin on something that I thought was for the most part crap just to keep the masses appeased. Really haven't looked into things this year like I normally do (just haven't had the time) but I do like what I have seen so far. For what it is worth I am leaning to a first half of winter that won't be too noteworthy but will offer up some chances none the less. 2'nd half is where I think we shine. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Not sure why anyone would be panicking at this point. Things look good at this time leading in. Sure as hell beats last year. Don't know how many times I put an optimistic spin on something that I thought was for the most part crap just to keep the masses appeased. Really haven't looked into things this year like I normally do (just haven't had the time) but I do like what I have seen so far. For what it is worth I am leaning to a first half of winter that won't be too noteworthy but will offer up some chances none the less. 2'nd half is where I think we shine. 

It is in reference to Wentzadelphia, aka HiZ. Maybe panic is too strong a word, but he seemed "overly concerned" about the possibility of a developing +AO when he saw a discussion (actually a tweet I think) on the new weeklies this morning. Not a big deal, but he is sort of known for being a worry wart.

30 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

It's what we do, lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is in reference to Wentzadelphia, aka HiZ. Maybe panic is too strong a word, but he seemed "overly concerned" about the possibility of a developing +AO when he saw a discussion (actually a tweet I think) on the new weeklies this morning. Not a big deal, but he is sort of known for being a worry wart.

Yeah, I saw his post but ignored it for the most part because it wasn't really worth worrying about. Just about everything I am seeing at this time points to a predominately weakened and disturbed pv this winter (implies better chances for a -AO). And the further in time we go the more confident I am that we see this in fact occur. The bigger question for me at this time is how the pv orients because all pv's are not created equal for our snow chances. In that regards I am somewhat optimistic as well and that optimism is growing. Seeing the models move towards an extension of the pv and associated troughing towards Japan and eastern Russia is encouraging as that also implies we will see an extension of the pv and troughing towards the eastern US. And that is in fact what we are now seeing. With this alignment we will get our chances and probably some good chances with the general setup we are seeing in the mid latitudes. At the times the pv is displaced more towards the other side of the globe we will have to rely on a -NAO to bring in the cold and hold it in otherwise we will see glancing blows as it runs quickly in and out. One possible positive about this though is that it may allow for an easier bump up of the southern jet at these times. On the other hand when the pv and associated trough is displaced on our side of the globe we then don't have to depend on a -NAO to lock in the cold and should have quite a bit of leeway to score.

All in all, I like where we stand at this point.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2017 at 8:57 PM, PrinceFrederickWx said:

@George BM

I will take a guess at this (I swear I haven't looked at the archives). 

BethesdaWx is posting and I believe he was banned from that screen name in early 2012. This forum started in late 2010; therefore, the event in question is most likely in 2011.

There's a mention of the storm's winds being "even worse than last weekend"- makes me immediately think of the back-to-back windstorms in February 2011. However, there is talk about bow echoes and hail and tornado risks, while both those events in February were just clear windstorms and nothing else.

Final answer... April 2011? There was a big tornado outbreak around that time but I don't remember the exact day.

You were uber close. It actually was the second of the two February 2011 windstorms. I'll give this round to you though. ^_^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, H2O said:

look at this passive aggressive BS.  Randy stuck up for and defended mitch plenty and there was a reason why.  Mitch himself was no saint when it came to posting.  

Go ahead, take shots at me.  Its fine. Taking shots at Randy is crap.  I'll let other posters from other forums compliment how the MA is run when they drop in to read what some of our best posters post.  All i've wanted is good disco in the right threads and when big events happen info is easy to find for anyone and not cluttered with dick joke posts which is all you are known here for.  Let that sink in.

If that means I'm one of Randy's buddies and not the right person to control things then too bad.  You can always leave and join mitch elsewhere.  

Thats all I'll say on this cause you and I will never see eye to eye on anything.  Except the Caps.

Lol. I’m glad you got everything off your chest. I hope you feel better now. I’m ok being known for just dick jokes because I’m not a nice, friendly, intelligent, easygoing guy like yourself. 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, C.A.P.E. said:

They can be, but I have found plenty that are really good. Of course I love stouts, and I love coffee, lol.

If you haven't tried Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial stout, give that a go. I really like it.

Haven't had much luck yet on picking it up. Keep checking in at different distributors but it is a seasonal beer (winter) so no one has gotten it in yet. Did pick up a couple of different coffee stouts for my 2 camping trips and neither impressed. I will say that Sam Adams stout was actually pretty good out of the 7-8 different stouts I took with me to try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Haven't had much luck yet on picking it up. Keep checking in at different distributors but it is a seasonal beer (winter) so no one has gotten it in yet. Did pick up a couple of different coffee stouts for my 2 camping trips and neither impressed. I will say that Sam Adams stout was actually pretty good out of the 7-8 different stouts I took with me to try.

That's odd. I have been buying it in Easton near where I work. It comes in cans.

A good stout that's always available is Founders Breakfast Stout. Its a go to for me. I just tried Flying Dog's "resurrection" of Kujo, which was an awesome Imperial coffee stout, but they stopped brewing it. Now it is back as a Coffee Porter and its very good.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

That's odd. I have been buying it in Easton near where I work. It comes in cans.

A good stout that's always available is Founders Breakfast Stout. Its a go to for me. I just tried Flying Dog's "resurrection" of Kujo, which was an awesome Imperial coffee stout, but they stopped brewing it. Now it is back as a Coffee Porter and its very good.

Almost picked up bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout to try. Think they also had a coffee stout as well. Already had other beers to try so I decided to hold off until next go round. Distributor up here in Hanover has an unbelievable selection to choose from. First time I ever walked into there was a month ago. It is like walking into Beer heaven.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Almost picked up bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout to try. Think they also had a coffee stout as well. Already had other beers to try so I decided to hold off until next go round. Distributor up here in Hanover has an unbelievable selection to choose from. First time I ever walked into there was a month ago. It is like walking into Beer heaven.

Their Breakfast stout is a winner, and it definitely has notes of coffee. You wont go wrong with that one.

Another coffee stout with prominent coffee notes is Evolution Rise Up Stout. Its made using coffee from Rise Up Coffee Roasters in Easton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Their Breakfast stout is a winner, and it definitely has notes of coffee. You wont go wrong with that one.

Another coffee stout with prominent coffee notes is Evolution Rise Up Stout. Its made using coffee from Rise Up Coffee Roasters in Easton.

Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout is very coffee-forward and generally available during the winter months. Besides...it’s got some barrel on it, which makes all stouts better. Sunday Molé is another really good one of theirs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout is very coffee-forward and generally available during the winter months. Besides...it’s got some barrel on it, which makes all stouts better. Sunday Molé is another really good one of theirs.

Good stuff. Had the Molé recently on tap.

10 hours ago, ravensrule said:

Lol. I’m glad you got everything off your chest. I hope you feel better now. I’m ok being known for just dick jokes because I’m not a nice, friendly, intelligent, easygoing guy like yourself. 

I can understand the frustration of the moderators and admins here.  IMO they try very hard to balance the conflicting needs/desires of the members.  Some want more moderation, others want an anarchy.  Some want things organized one way and others another.  Some people like to be aggressive in debate and others can't take criticism.  They are constantly trying to put out fires and find the best way to accommodate when it's possible.  I don't know what the exact cause of Mitch's departure was but I am not sure the powers that be can possibly make this perfect for everyone and they do try very hard so I can see why your earlier post would ruffle some feathers.  

Just kidding I have no clue. Was probably something I did...we had our spat several years ago but I thought we had mended fences. Who knows...I miss his early season optimism that slowly fades to outright despair as winter progresses. I'm sure someone will take over his role. As far as Ian goes...dude doesn't even FB anymore...he must have won the lottery 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I can understand the frustration of the moderators and admins here.  IMO they try very hard to balance the conflicting needs/desires of the members.  Some want more moderation, others want an anarchy.  Some want things organized one way and others another.  Some people like to be aggressive in debate and others can't take criticism.  They are constantly trying to put out fires and find the best way to accommodate when it's possible.  I don't know what the exact cause of Mitch's departure was but I am not sure the powers that be can possibly make this perfect for everyone and they do try very hard so I can see why your earlier post would ruffle some feathers.  

Ruffling some feathers is my job. This board and especially this sub forum specialize in being a clique, if you don't fit in their idea of being a great poster or are not a democrat then you are bullied. Randy is a great guy and i love him. H20 not so much, but at least he is best friends with Mappy who loves me dearly. 

39 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Ruffling some feathers is my job. This board and especially this sub forum specialize in being a clique, if you don't fit in their idea of being a great poster or are not a democrat then you are bullied. Randy is a great guy and i love him. H20 not so much, but at least he is best friends with Mappy who loves me dearly. 

Dude, come on. Bullied? lmao

You need a safe space on a weather board? :lol:

This is hardly the political forum. Other than a few here, I really have no idea what anyone's political views are, and I don't care. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This. I do not care. The only things I need to know here are

1. Do you like snow 

2. Will your location steal my snow 

3. Can you tell me how it will snow imby

4. Are you ok with me posting about tropical 

Yes

Now that you are in New England your location will be doing the snow stealing

Maybe

Yes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

Bullied?  I've never really seen that.  Called out for stupid posts yes.  Not saying you... just in general.  You know probably half of my posts on this forum are C and P and I get made fun of for it at times... but it's all in good fun. I chuckle when someone beats me to the punch, which isn't often on here as you know.

I've had some issues with posters on this forum before... but usually after stepping back and reassessing alot of times I realize that my post caused the tension or I need to laugh at what was said.  I like this forum too much to leave to be honest.  Once on a while, especially during winter, yes, I will step away because of the posts about how winter is over and this model shows crap... but I always come back.  Besides, you should know by now the posters who will push buttons... aka Ji with his winter cancel and so on.

Finally, I dont feel this forum is a clique.  If it was, I would have been kicked out a while back :lol:

just my 2 cents

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the forum discussion, in college, I liked snow. I still like snow. If you ask me if I have ever seen a whiteout, I'll reply, "Have you?!?"

Regarding the beer discussion, my local beer Jesus (if you saw him and spoke to him, you'd understand) suggested the Yeti Imperial Stout, now in six packs instead of four packs at a reasonable price, or the seasonal Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout. I went with the Sierra Nevada because it is seasonal and I think they are an under-rated brewery. Also reasonably priced and good.

On the homebrew front, I'll be legging my imperial pumpkin ale this weekend and it'll be ready next weekend for anyone that wants to stop by and not talk politics. There's also a New England IPA and a cream ale on draft.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 6:25 AM, mattie g said:

The atmosphere around social media (including forums) has deteriorated greatly in the last few years. I agree that a big winter would help things, but that would just be slapping on some (awesome) plaster on those cracks.

I will always advocate for minimizing the real social media banter that's more public than here.  Banter should still have filters and it starts with all of us.  I'm not necessarily saying we need more moderation, just that we can make this a better place for everyone! :wub:

3 hours ago, ravensrule said:

Some of our best and regular posters are republicans and they are doing fine and I don't detect any bullying.  And I don't care about their politics on here.  Fact is no one even knows. Now we have had some idiots spew stupid from time to time and get ripped for it. Like the dude who decided that calling government workers lazy and useless on a D.C. centric forum would go over well. But that's not because they were republican.  That was just stupid and classless. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic