Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter

George BM

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

He still lives near BWI. 

On a unrelated note,  how is your grass seed coming along ?

I got lazy and never did my lawn yet, I guess I might still try in the next 3 days as I read fescue can  still germinate in air temps between 60 and 75. For me that will be on the lower range of temps ..... I do not see any more 70 plus days after today  

Mostly well it seems.  Definitely had some germination.  We'll see how it looks next year.  It's all very long right now as I haven't mowed in a few weeks between waiting for the grass seed to grow and having some dry days when I have free time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It's none of my business but now that's he posting on a different weather board, I have to admit that I'm intrigued as to why he left here. 

IIRC he was participating regularly like always last fall and into early winter, then had an illness, and after that he completely stopped posting.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

That's a high compliment coming from you!

Fall is here! 

Agree with the comment, that's a gorgeous fall photo (wherever that was taken)!

Side but related note...fall is actually perhaps my favorite season just after winter.  It's great to come out of the God-awful heat and humidity from a long summer for one thing.  Even very warm days aren't as bad as they are in July or August, simply because days are shorter.  It's too early to really care or worry about following snow events so I don't even think about that, the fall colors are great, and I love transitioning into the crisp evenings/nights and cool to mild days!  October can be pretty darned awesome for the most part.  So it's easy to just enjoy the changing of the season toward something gradually colder.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Mitch joined Phillywx this month and has started posting there.  That makes me sad:unsure:

Very sad. Unfortunately many of the best posters have left the board over the years. Sometimes people have to look in the mirror and see why. Randy lets way too much nonsense go and lets his buddies even if they aren’t the right people, control the board. PhillyWx and 33andrain are two examples of this. 

6 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't think there's a better board out there. I still love this place but even I have to admit that things have seemed to be more crazy in the last year. The Michael thread is one thing, but winter is a whole different level. I kid you not I considered leaving last season because it was just unbearable. 

I'm not sure what the answer is. Too much moderation and you don't get the fun and free flowing conversation that we enjoy. Not enough and every other post is 

Bust

Congrats New England

Next

[something wholly inappropriate]

and that just becomes miserable after a while.

Honestly, we just need a big season up and down the coast. Just like winning cures locker room issues, snow cures wx board issues lol.

We've had an awful stretch. The last time I think the region had a good winter month was what, January 2016 or February 2015?

The atmosphere around social media (including forums) has deteriorated greatly in the last few years. I agree that a big winter would help things, but that would just be slapping on some (awesome) plaster on those cracks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Every year. Every GD year.

18 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Like clockwork orange

If you both are referring to my posts it isn't a prediction on my part on what will occur. It is just what I expected to see the models start moving to with where they continue to see the warmest anomalies in the arctic. Even if we were to see the pv more so towards the other side of the globe in the early part of winter that doesn't mean we are SOL, it just means we are probably going to be more dependent on a -NAO to help deliver the cold as the general overall setup is very good. 

14 hours ago, ravensrule said:

He never had an illness. He is fine. People like Mitch will keep getting run off this board. 

I will miss the "persistence vs chaos" debates we used to have.  I am kind of torn on this issue in general.  I have no idea exactly what precipitated Mitch's self exile so this is just an in general thing regarding the phenomenon of some good posters leaving...so please don't apply this in any way to Mitch.  Yes there is some incredibly annoying trolling going on right now across the board.  But good discussion can still happen if people can ignore it and get past it.  And while I don't hold it against anyone for deciding to leave...its their free time after all, some in the past have left of threatened to leave over some pretty thin skinned insignificant things.  Some of the trolling and such is annoying but some have also become annoyed simply when people disagree and argue with them.  That is part of a discussion board.  Leaving because people disagree with you is kind of childish imo.  So some people have left because its become annoying with the bickering and constant complaining/trolling and that I can understand (although i would rather stick it out) but others have left just because they can't seem to handle having people disagree with them publicly and that has no place on a discussion forum.  Everyone agreeing would be useless.  

Again this has NOTHING to do with Mitch.  I will miss him and have no idea what the reason for his departure was.  

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

lol some iffy analysis of the weeklies going around.  They were pretty ambiguous at range and not at all hostile.  Sure could have been better but I saw nothing that made me overly concerned.  

I concur. It is a bit early, so probably good to hold off on the micro analysis of a LR tool 40 days out. Ji hasn't even shown up yet.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ravensrule said:

Very sad. Unfortunately many of the best posters have left the board over the years. Sometimes people have to look in the mirror and see why. Randy lets way too much nonsense go and lets his buddies even if they aren’t the right people, control the board. PhillyWx and 33andrain are two examples of this. 

look at this passive aggressive BS.  Randy stuck up for and defended mitch plenty and there was a reason why.  Mitch himself was no saint when it came to posting.  

Go ahead, take shots at me.  Its fine. Taking shots at Randy is crap.  I'll let other posters from other forums compliment how the MA is run when they drop in to read what some of our best posters post.  All i've wanted is good disco in the right threads and when big events happen info is easy to find for anyone and not cluttered with dick joke posts which is all you are known here for.  Let that sink in.

If that means I'm one of Randy's buddies and not the right person to control things then too bad.  You can always leave and join mitch elsewhere.  

Thats all I'll say on this cause you and I will never see eye to eye on anything.  Except the Caps.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I concur. It is a bit early, so probably good to hold off on the micro analysis of a LR tool 40 days out. Ji hasn't even shown up yet.

But I think that is part of what makes the early winter discussion threads enjoyable especially during preseason when there really is very little to discuss besides ENSO or analogs.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

But I think that is part of what makes the early winter discussion threads enjoyable especially during preseason when there really is very little to discuss besides ENSO or analogs.

I was half joking. It is fun to look at everything. It is inevitable there will be a time when the advertised pattern actually does look a mess. Hopefully we can save legit panic mode until then lol. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic