Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coldtober model and pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Pretty pretty please. I have very fond memories of that winter...specifically of never having a full week of school from November to March and of jumping off my roof into a drift after January '96.

Thst was the winter that never stopped. I like snow, but not that much. NYC set it's all time seasonal snowfall record and it snowed into May

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Thst was the winter that never stopped. I like snow, but not that much. NYC set it's all time seasonal snowfall record and it snowed into May

How dare you. Take that garbage back to loserville. There is no such thing as too much snow (or cold).

Snow in October .. meh. 

I suggest folks get a pattern sustained that makes it "october" first -  puttin the cart before the horse

The models overdo these early season cool snaps when their late middle range and so forth at this time of year...  Usually in shorter terms they normalize some, end up more like a standard deviation BNer

44 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Snow in October .. meh. 

I suggest folks get a pattern sustained that makes it "october" first -  puttin the cart before the horse

The models overdo these early season cool snaps when their late middle range and so forth at this time of year...  Usually in shorter terms they normalize some, end up more like a standard deviation BNer

All it takes is one trough, though.  I know you'll read into it as just snow pyscho babble but it's like a freeze in early September during a very warm pattern.  You get that one well-timed feature, overnight, and it's snowing somewhere in New England.

Obviously downwind of the lakes and in the mountains, this time of year is just normal for first flakes.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

All it takes is one trough, though.  I know you'll read into it as just snow pyscho babble but it's like a freeze in early September during a very warm pattern.  You get that one well-timed feature, overnight, and it's snowing somewhere in New England.

Obviously downwind of the lakes and in the mountains, this time of year is just normal for first flakes.

I wasn’t suggesting we should be sharpening the shovels, but I think it’s a good indicator that it’s about to get much cooler.

We really haven’t had more than a day or two of cool weather so far 

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I wasn’t suggesting we should be sharpening the shovels, but I think it’s a good indicator that it’s about to get much cooler.

We really haven’t had more than a day or two of cool weather so far 

I am. NNE starts early, then it gradually sinks SE as we head into Nov. Raymond may need to put out his outlook a little sooner than usual. 

Wait, some people are implying that Kev's endless summer will be ending. That's not possible. I've been counting on them to re-open the pool at our place in Maine and now you're telling me that it's gonna end?

Temps in the low 100's, Dews in the low 80's next week (in the normally hot spots in the Valley). Expect we'll be lucky to break 90 at ORH airport site. Just wait. Its coming. Endless summer never ends.

(Course its sort of like having a drink/toke before noon. Its always afternoon somewhere. And its always "summer" somewhere, if we are going on temps and dews)

39 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Wait, some people are implying that Kev's endless summer will be ending. That's not possible. I've been counting on them to re-open the pool at our place in Maine and now you're telling me that it's gonna end?

Temps in the low 100's, Dews in the low 80's next week (in the normally hot spots in the Valley). Expect we'll be lucky to break 90 at ORH airport site. Just wait. Its coming. Endless summer never ends.

(Course its sort of like having a drink/toke before noon. Its always afternoon somewhere. And its always "summer" somewhere, if we are going on temps and dews)

I keep chuckling every time I hear someone calling for the end of something that was seemingly endless.  If it's endless it doesn't have an end but I guess it does?

21 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I can't find documentation of that, but I did see it mentioned that the direction was SW (odd for a tropical landfall). So maybe suggests warm seclusion/sting jet evolution was responsible for winds around eastern Mass.

Far from tropical, but I recall 2 December SW-wind oddities back when I lived in NNJ.  Dec. 9, 1962 brought 4" snow, very nice for the next day's deer season opener.  Then we had nearly a week of temps 15-20° BN on brisk-to-strong SW winds - frigid HP in SW Quebec and that Sunday snow system probably spinning east of Anticosti.  Five years later, on New Year's Eve, we got 4-5" of fluff on gentle SW winds.  Would not surprise me in Fort Kent, but odd for NNJ - even NYC got 3.3" from that one.

15 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Hmm very interesting question there...Opal was 1995 correct?  Maybe things are lining up...

The series of strong fall storms had already begun by this date in 1995.  And despite all the snow, it was less then great IMO due to no biggies reaching my (then, or current) home and crummy retention.  Lots of storms, but schizo stretches, with Dec-April great for their 1st dozen-21 days then the rest of each month ranging from meh (Dec) to awful (JFM, with J getting multiple exclamation points.) 

06z GFS dumps 12-18 on FVE out at Day 13.  ;)

Pardon the interruption:

October 10- World Mental Health Day 
We all have shadows. Even so, life can be isolating. I feel as though as we navigate life, we all meet other souls who inevitably leave us behind and take a bit of our heart when they go. I truly believe no one gets to the finish line with a perfectly untarnished heart. It is the greatest gift of life, to be able to love in the time that we are given.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Programming

• Like 5

Just noticed that BTV never had an hourly temperature last night below 70F... min was 69F though between obs.  They got their nocturnal low level hey going from the south sustained over 10mph all night like in the Caribbean.

BTV's temp follows the wind so well in the Champlain Valley where there's nothing stopping air masses from the south or north.  Comes from the south at 10-20mph and it's 70F all night.  Then they had the other day 10-20mph from the north and it was 48F in the middle of the afternoon.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Guidance is pretty chilly next week. Esp late next week. Could also be a sneaky first freeze for the typical rad spots in SNE this weekend. 

Models are trying to move the needle in the dailies more than spot freezes for next week, too.  I don't wanna admit it, but - we'll go ahead and assume that's overdone.  heh 

Thing is, since ... I dunno, 2002 sometime, lot of Octobers, I might have to imagine 1/3 of them, have either packing pelleted a couple of instability CAA afternoons ...if not cat pawed a slushy inch or two at the tail end of wood-smoke cold rains event.  Because of that clear and coherent uptick in what by life experience simply was "just too earlly..." I dunno.  ...Once or twice was a lot more than I ever remember that taking place in the prior 30 years of my time on this planet; now I have almost come to expect it. 

Not sure how it stacks up against other people's experience, but for me... now having seen something like 7 or 8 Octobers with measurable white since the early 2000s, that "might" be pushing the mere noise argument's credibility for me.  Yeah yeah... we could certainly settle back into the previous dynamic where it was more like once every 20 years or whatever it was.  But this isn't just a instrumental sensitivity and/or measuring standard difference in play.   Before 2002, I rarely even heard of snow in Octobers...  There was the 1987 thing out in the Capital District, but - to me ...that's the 1::20 rearin its head.  

The last three cycles of the operational GFS for next week  carry one of those open wave deals with attendant low ...right over us, with cold profiles easily white cappin' matters up N...  Does it really seem so hard to get it done nowadays - gee

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Models are trying to move the needle in the dailies more than spot freezes for next week, too.  I don't wanna admit it, but - we'll go ahead and assume that's overdone.  heh 

Thing is, since ... I dunno, 2002 sometime, lot of Octobers, I might have to imagine 1/3 of them, have either packing pelleted a couple of instability CAA afternoons ...if not cat pawed a slushy inch or two at the tail end of wood-smoke cold rains event.  Because of that clear and coherent uptick in what by life experience simply was "just too earlly..." I dunno.  ...Once or twice was a lot more than I ever remember that taking place in the prior 30 years of my time on this planet; now I have almost come to expect it. 

Not sure how it stacks up against other people's experience, but for me... now having seen something like 7 or 8 Octobers with measurable white since the early 2000s, that "might" be pushing the mere noise argument's credibility for me.  Yeah yeah... we could certainly settle back into the previous dynamic where it was more like once every 20 years or whatever it was.  But this isn't just a instrumental sensitivity and/or measuring standard difference in play.   Before 2002, I rarely even heard of snow in Octobers...  There was the 1987 thing out in the Capital District, but - to me ...that's the 1::20 rearin its head.  

The last three cycles of the operational GFS for next week  carry one of those open wave deals with attendant low ...right over us, with cold profiles easily white cappin' matters up N...  Does it really seem so hard to get it done nowadays - gee

You aren't wrong. ORH has had 8 October events with measurable snow since 2000....prior to the October 29-30, 2000 event, you had to go back to 1988 and then 1979 to get the next 2...and that is at 1000 feet over the interior. It's definitely been more common recently. Though we are currently in our longest "break" since that 1988-2000 span. October 2018 will mark 7 years since our last one...obviously that 2011 storm was the all timer. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Just noticed that BTV never had an hourly temperature last night below 70F... min was 69F though between obs.  They got their nocturnal low level hey going from the south sustained over 10mph all night like in the Caribbean.

Failed to drop below 60 this morning.  My latest 60+ minimum is Sept. 26, with 61 both last year and in 2007 (both had 84 max, too), and with the BD moving thru WVL as we speak, that mark will stand.

You aren't wrong. ORH has had 8 October events with measurable snow since 2000

That's 3 more than at my place.  I guess in October, elevation trumps latitude.  ;)