• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coldtober model and pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

I've noticed a a bit of an oscillatory behavior between the 00z and 12z cycles... it's more prevalent in the Euro camp but also the GGEM is doing it too... These guidance' (and the GFS to some lesser degree) keep popping the ridge bubble by 3 to 6 decameters worth at 12z, only to fill the balloon again on the 00z's

That matters, because the 12z offers a mean frontal position a bit farther S... All with, more BD .. The Euro went from an historically warm next Thursday to BD that fists all the way to the Delmarva or more between the 00z and 12z respectively... If we go back another day's worth of runs, that sloshing is also noticeable. 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That part sucks. I wish we could even it out more. We joke, but I don’t cheer for anyone to get screwed. Well maybe Kevin.

December 2003... that was 20" around BTV area, wasn't it 20" around BOS too?  We need more of those types of system where you just go 1-2 feet over everyone east of Syracuse, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

December 2003... that was 20" around BTV area, wasn't it 20" around BOS too?  We need more of those types of system where you just go 1-2 feet over everyone east of Syracuse, lol.

Yeah. Even SE MA around Taunton had 2 feet. That was a pretty unusual storm...esp so given the time of year. To cover that large of an area with major snows in early December is tough. 

Last year, we had our warmest October on record. Didn't hurt too much later on with well above normal snowfall and some pretty good cold periods during winter. The Feb torch sucked, but we got some nice payback right after it. The Feb torch would've felt 100x worse if it kind of ended winter and march was a dud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah. Even SE MA around Taunton had 2 feet. That was a pretty unusual storm...esp so given the time of year. To cover that large of an area with major snows in early December is tough. 

Last year, we had our warmest October on record. Didn't hurt too much later on with well above normal snowfall and some pretty good cold periods during winter. The Feb torch sucked, but we got some nice payback right after it. The Feb torch would've felt 100x worse if it kind of ended winter and march was a dud. 

Nice write up on that one:

http://cms.met.psu.edu/sref/severe/2003/5-6Dec2003.pdf

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It was a great storm. Lots of damage south of Boston where it was wet. This area had a solid 20-22”. Much less just SE of here. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lots of 70’s and 80’s now showing up on models in Torchtober

Okay, you win. If this is what you want to pretend to enjoy, be my guest. It does appear as though there will be no break in the next 10 days from AAN weather. I was under the impression that the weak El Nino would lead to cooler temps, but I guess not. That SE ridge is no joke and definitely feels like it will be a huge factor in our climate for years to come. NYC has felt like Atlanta this year.

4 hours ago, LurkerBoy said:

Okay, you win. If this is what you want to pretend to enjoy, be my guest. It does appear as though there will be no break in the next 10 days from AAN weather. I was under the impression that the weak El Nino would lead to cooler temps, but I guess not. That SE ridge is no joke and definitely feels like it will be a huge factor in our climate for years to come. NYC has felt like Atlanta this year.

Why is it a contest?  No one can control the weather.  Some of you act like it's a sporting event lol...and others act like salesmen trying to sell a given weather outcome.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Why is it a contest?  No one can control the weather.  Some of you act like it's a sporting event lol.

No one can control the outcome of sports either, doesn’t stop some people from getting emotionally involved. Except for me, with the weather, when it’s abnormally warm, it makes me think about the environmental situation humans are in all day. And therefore, emotional. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

No one can control the outcome of sports either, doesn’t stop some people from getting emotionally involved. Except for me, with the weather, when it’s abnormally warm, it makes me think about the environmental situation humans are in all day. And therefore, emotional. 

Umm, yes people can and have.

3 hours ago, ma blizzard said:

12/03 locally was kinda meh .. long duration was cool but it felt like ORH area was in subsidence hell for most of Saturday IIRC. I think I ended up with ~12" 

I got 12", while 5-8mi se had 26", and 10-12 mi ese had 36"+.

I hated that event....long, protracted and boring.