• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coldtober model and pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

Just catching up on AMWX.  Wow, this thread got off track.  Anyway looks like a close near miss for us in North Dendriteland. for some accumulating snow.  If that Maine low could get going a bit further SW I would be in business.  Trees still have about 75% of their leaves so even 4" of glop would give me some issues.  

Then there is this weekend.  Couple of days ago it looked like a nice monster storm.  Now the GFS/Euro have a 990 something slowly coming up the coast.  18Z GFS is the perfect track for me,  elbow of the Cape.  Probably a month later I would be in business.

Carry on.....

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just catching up on AMWX.  Wow, this thread got off track.  Anyway looks like a close near miss for us in North Dendriteland. for some accumulating snow.  If that Maine low could get going a bit further SW I would be in business.  Trees still have about 75% of their leaves so even 4" of glop would give me some issues.  

Then there is this weekend.  Couple of days ago it looked like a nice monster storm.  Now the GFS/Euro have a 990 something slowly coming up the coast.  18Z GFS is the perfect track for me,  elbow of the Cape.  Probably a month later I would be in business.

Carry on.....

I can't believe you are still 75% leafed out down there.  Been full stick season even down in the valley for the last 5-7 days it seems.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can't believe you are still 75% leafed out down there.  Been full stick season even down in the valley for the last 5-7 days it seems.

Yesterday we drove from our area to the coast of Maine north of Portland.  75% plus leafed out at least the whole way.  A 3-7" heavy wet snow would cause quite a bit of damage right now.  Here is a drone shot from this afternoon over my area.  Newfound Lake on the left..  This is looking north towards Plymouth NH

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Carry on.....

Definitely not sorted out on the weekend storm, thou I wonder if any scenario could lock in cold anywhere, without a great cold source 

Maybe 2K Hunter Mtn Magic I’m hoping

That first redeveloper looks to have potential in snow mobile land Maine 

12 hours ago, LurkerBoy said:

My girlfriend was asking me about this website, because I told her one of the admins/mets essentially told me to f**k off, and she asked if there are any girls on the site. I said I've yet to see one girl on this entire forum, ever. I think it's partially because of the "boys club" attitude that is taken, and the lack of welcome that some show. It's not a warm environment and GOD FORBID someone like me, who gets emotional about weather without much of the WX IQ that others have, want to join in on the conversation. 

I will stop posting when I don't have anything to add. I will only post when I have a question that I feel is academic in nature. Thank you. 

Female here!!! Tend to lurk to learn, get reasonable fact filled weather forecasts,   and only usually post observations. I’ve followed this forum since it was on the other board site.  During the winter I check these daily.  love watching winter filled banter during snow potential. Love reading the weenie posts during the winter as I’m a huge snow lover :) part of the fun of reading this forum is to see some of the back and forth with the Mets, those learning or those who just love weather like myself. The guys here don’t scare me off from posting at all as I have nothing to offer when it comes to what they do best. Other than when it’s observation time. They’ve never been rude to me when I posed a legitimate question about snow or storm potential. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Randy4Confluence said:

GFS has latched onto the idea of a troft in the west  developing towards the end of tbe month calming this MBN pattern you guys have been in. 

gfs_namer_300_500_vort_ht.gif

Actually the latest 00z GFS is trending towards a reinforced trough in the eastern US now, pacific vort maxes come out of the GOA low-pressure center and areas of energy try to pour into the eastern US trough again, if enough cold air is around, a late-developing miller B low tries to get going in the 180 hour window.  But it isn't quite strong at this point in time.  We could see our first snows in early to mid-November.

2 hours ago, Spaizzo said:

Female here!!! Tend to lurk to learn, get reasonable fact filled weather forecasts,   and only usually post observations. I’ve followed this forum since it was on the other board site.  During the winter I check these daily.  love watching winter filled banter during snow potential. Love reading the weenie posts during the winter as I’m a huge snow lover :) part of the fun of reading this forum is to see some of the back and forth with the Mets, those learning or those who just love weather like myself. The guys here don’t scare me off from posting at all as I have nothing to offer when it comes to what they do best. Other than when it’s observation time. They’ve never been rude to me when I posed a legitimate question about snow or storm potential. 

I can happily say "Me too!" Well written! I have the same game plan.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spaizzo said:

Hey, female here, as well! Im an emotional snow weenie. Ive been known to go out walking at 2am during snowstorms. Dont waste snow time, you can sleep when youre dead!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You guys should feel free to post and ask questions. Nobody should hold back. It's a weather forum. 

Yeah. I’m not sure how my post to lurker devolved down this road. Feel free to post people. We always want more fresh blood. I mean, anyone can post obs. Even Kevin can do it. 

1 minute ago, Bluestarlight19 said:

Also female, been here since eastern. I've posted obs a couple times, but mostly just lurk n learn. I love all kinds of weather, but especially tracking large winter storms. Feb 2015 was pure awesome. wish I had my own weather station in mby, but kids come first.  

Ask the kids to get mom a station from Santa, they’re like $100 for a decent 5in1. I have one from last Christmas..... that I haven’t installed yet.  

I don't see it as a devolution! I expressed a thought that was (now evidently) not true, but it acted as an impetus for these individuals to expose themselves and hopefully be encouraged to be part of the forum at large. What a beautiful thing!

That said - looks to me that we mostly rain for the next few systems in coastal areas, and the aforementioned warm-up has been muted quite a bit. There is a trough in the west but luckily instead of amping up the SE ridge, keeps us at a sorta homeostatic baseline normal. I could be reading it wrong, but that's what I see. 

13 minutes ago, Bluestarlight19 said:

Also female, been here since eastern. I've posted obs a couple times, but mostly just lurk n learn. I love all kinds of weather, but especially tracking large winter storms. Feb 2015 was pure awesome. wish I had my own weather station in mby, but kids come first.  

What up! My sister got me a good weather station from BJs for christmas. Very affordable. I mounted it on my porch railing. Im obsessed with tracking dewpoint and precip. My sister has the same station and lives maybe 2mi away as the crow flies, so im always stalking her to compare precip. It has an anemometer, but i wasnt about to try to mount it to my roof. My sister mounted hers off her pool fence. It is decent height above the ground, but neither of us can get anything much over 15mph, and she lives near the ocean.

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ask the kids to get mom a station from Santa, they’re like $100 for a decent 5in1. I have one from last Christmas..... that I haven’t installed yet.  

Lame, get that bad larry installed. I had mine up 2 days after i unwrapped it....and you call yourself a weenie...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Lame, get that bad larry installed. I had mine up 2 days after i unwrapped it....and you call yourself a weenie...

Terrible, I admit it. New house with tons of indoor and outdoor projects, a toddler, another on the way, and the awful summer we experienced here....I procrastinated. No excuses. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Terrible, I admit it. New house with tons of indoor and outdoor projects, a toddler, another on the way, and the awful summer we experienced here....I procrastinated. No excuses. 

You should never let real life get in the way of being a weenie

(Also congrats on the little ones!)

Little to far to go to the county, But its on for that area too.

WWUS41 KCAR 231007 AAA
WSWCAR

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...UPDATED
National Weather Service Caribou ME
607 AM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

MEZ001>006-010-231815-
/O.CON.KCAR.WW.Y.0027.181024T0400Z-181025T0600Z/
Northwest Aroostook-Northeast Aroostook-Northern Somerset-
Northern Piscataquis-Northern Penobscot-Southeast Aroostook-
Central Piscataquis-
Including the cities of Allagash, Clayton Lake, Madawaska,
Fort Kent, Frenchville, Presque Isle, Caribou, Van Buren,
Mars Hill, Baker Lake, Billy-Jack Depot, Baxter St Park,
Chamberlain Lake, Churchill Dam, Mount Katahdin, Millinocket,
East Millinocket, Patten, Medway, Houlton, Hodgdon, Sherman,
Smyrna Mills, Greenville, Monson, and Blanchard
607 AM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT
TONIGHT TO 2 AM EDT THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches,
with localized amounts up to 10 inches expected.

* WHERE...Northwest Aroostook, Northeast Aroostook, Northern
Somerset, Northern Piscataquis, Northern Penobscot, Southeast
Aroostook and Central Piscataquis Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 2 AM EDT Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions,
including during the morning commute on Wednesday. Expect
reduced visibilities at times.