Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Still at the high for the day, 77 degrees at 11:30pm.

My overnight low is forecast to be 72 with a humidex of 80...that's something since this weekend was freezing cold and had temps barely above 8ºC or the mid 40s. Its doing the exact opposite of what is typical of a day-night temp change - as morning comes it'll get colder and then be coldest during the afternoon tomorrow.

Early this afternoon I had a heavy downpour that lasted 20-30 minutes and dark skies (overcast) beforehand. TWN had us 2 days prior for today at partly sunny with 20ºC high...

15 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Wow, congratulations! Now we have members posting from all the major snow belts.  Can’t wait to see pics and observations from the area!

Looking forward to it, Bo!

13 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Enjoy! I forget, where are you from originally?

I am originally from Lancaster, PA. Lived in Spring Lake/Grand Haven area of Michigan the past 10 years.

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Might be a bit difficult on some of the days. 

Image result for redfield new york snow

:P Already have had many conversations with locals that you have to keep up with it. It is a full time job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I am originally from Lancaster, PA. Lived in Spring Lake/Grand Haven area of Michigan the past 10 years.

:P Already have had many conversations with locals that you have to keep up with it. It is a full time job.

I have always lived in Southeast Michigan, but ive always visited many other places as well. Southeast Michigan is a great spot for a true change in seasons, and I have always wished I had a vacation home somewhere that gets an astronomical amount of snow, but I don't think I could live there full time. Its hard to explain, but its like a part of me would love to live in remote wilderness but another part would hate it. Look forward to pics and obs this winter!

8 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

What are you going to use for snow removal?  My first year here, was not prepared...ended up shoveling and using a walk behind blower.  It was a never ending job.  Since then, I've added a 54" blade to my quad and even that hasn't been enough.  If a serious snow is coming, I almost have to go out once during and plow so that it's not too overwhelming for my quad.  This year I bought a Bercomac 54" blower that will cut down dramatically on snow removal time. It should be in by the first of November (fingers crossed).  So in all, I have around 6500.00 in snow removal equipment. And for me, I prefer blowing snow to pushing it with a blade... easier, neater, and you don't have the giant piles to deal with in spring.  And yeah, fulltime job! 

Decent 1" rains fell yesterday, and the temp soared to 65 by 8 pm but back down to 34 this morning.  Winds howled last night!

Chance of some light snow or mix again later tonight... inch or less grassy areas.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

What are you going to use for snow removal?  My first year here, was not prepared...ended up shoveling and using a walk behind blower.  It was a never ending job.  Since then, I've added a 54" blade to my quad and even that hasn't been enough.  If a serious snow is coming, I almost have to go out once during and plow so that it's not too overwhelming for my quad.  This year I bought a Bercomac 54" blower that will cut down dramatically on snow removal time. It should be in by the first of November (fingers crossed).  So in all, I have around 6500.00 in snow removal equipment. And for me, I prefer blowing snow to pushing it with a blade... easier, neater, and you don't have the giant piles to deal with in spring.  And yeah, fulltime job! 

Decent 1" rains fell yesterday, and the temp soared to 65 by 8 pm but back down to 34 this morning.  Winds howled last night!

Chance of some light snow or mix again later tonight... inch or less grassy areas.

Every machine possible! Being a small community, I have quickly learned people share things with each other, barter with services, etc...

Plows, Four wheelers with plows, Tractors with snowblowing equipment attached, Bucket Loaders, etc...these are already provided and will be used. :)

The plow trucks here are beasts. Their snowblower equipment just cuts right in to feet of snow.

Definitely don't plan on seeing any snowflakes here for at least the next week with this STUBBORN SE ridge.

Have you already had snow up there in the UP?

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Every machine possible! Being a small community, I have quickly learned people share things with each other, barter with services, etc...

Plows, Four wheelers with plows, Tractors with snowblowing equipment attached, Bucket Loaders, etc...these are already provided and will be used. :)

The plow trucks here are beasts. Their snowblower equipment just cuts right in to feet of snow.

Definitely don't plan on seeing any snowflakes here for at least the next week with this STUBBORN SE ridge.

Have you already had snow up there in the UP?

Very cool. I’m too far out to rely on community or neighbors, but I know lots here do too. 

Have had graupel and a few flakes but nothing too noteworthy. Some grassy accumulation will be nice to photograph with the leaves if that happens later tonight into the morning.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Only in the mid 50s here now, which is over 30 degrees colder than this time yesterday.

I guess I didn't realize the temp contrast on that side of the boundary. I had to go to IND today for some training and it was in the low to mid 70's all day and felt really humid. It was also a cool drive down there this morning as I was following a t-storm south at daylight. It really kind of a neat lightning show.

• Like 1

A lot of 88 readings on the 5 min obs at ORD, but I'm not sure if it's a real 88 or rounded (given the large number of 88 obs, my guess may be the former).  If the high is 88, it would be the warmest October temp since 1997.  

The high was indeed 88, at ORD and MDW yesterday.

7b3dcb1c3863e91d6f8004e30e816847.jpg

Tonight's GFS showing a foot+ snow from northeast Nebraska up through Minnesota late next week/next weekend.  Pretty crazy to see something like that showing up on the models this early.  

That deep trough out west has the potential to spit out some very impressive storm systems over the next week or two.  We haven't seen the deep tropical moisture get shoved down into the gulf yet.  The wide area of summer-like heat and humidity with the associated high PWATs remains on the warm side of the baroclinic zone.  Also have the subtropical feed coming in as well.  On the cool side snows are starting to fall already.  Some models even dump accumulating snows, which will only act to enhance the baroclinic battle zone.  Maybe we'll see something special spin up along that zone in the next week or two if that trough remains.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, TugHillMatt said:

Ha...sure is! Hope you are doing well, Hoosier. :)

Definitely a different lifestyle here. The closest small towns are Pulaski and Camden, which are 25 minutes away. While remote, bigger cities like Watertown, Syracuse, and Rome/Utica are all less than an hour away.

We will definitely be stocking up somewhat, but they take really good care of the roads during winter here. The economy relies on people who come for winter rrecreation and spend money on food/drinks, fuel, and lodging.

You should see some of the equipment that is used!

Hey, bud. See above. :) Weekends are incredibly busy with people coming to their camps...and playing on their 4 wheelers, fishing, etc...just can't get away from people! Ha. During the week it is totally different and very quiet...it feels more isolated...which I love! :)

Awesome Man I am glad you finally were able to make your dream happen! I would love to exp a tug winter just once. Hopefully we have a great LES season for everyone. Can you provide a location on a map close proximity to your home? I assume you found work outside of the Tug?

FYI, I think its getting about that time to fire up a new 18/19 LES Thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I am jealous (sort of).  Pretty cool to see snow reappearing in our subforum.

Nice Bo! Although i am not even remotely ready to start seeing the white stuff fly, got way to much to do still for yard work, prepping my tractor for winter duty, and getting our RV winterized/relocated.  Man where did summer go?

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice Bo! Although i am not even remotely ready to start seeing the white stuff fly, got way to much to do still for yard work, prepping my tractor for winter duty, and getting are RV winterized/relocated.  Man where did summer go?

I’m with ya. Not ready for the snow to stay, and I know it won’t yet but I make it a point to be ready by now anyway. I’d like some warm days still to enjoy before the snow sets in for the season and that’s not too far off for both of us.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I was listening to our local wx guru, Jym Ganahl.   It was a particularly warm day and the projected high was expected to top 80.  Jym proclaimed it would be our last 80+ degree day for 6 months.  

We've had several 80 degree days since then and tomorrow's forecasted high is an amazing 86 degrees.    

Nice work Jym! :lol:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Tonight's GFS showing a foot+ snow from northeast Nebraska up through Minnesota late next week/next weekend.  Pretty crazy to see something like that showing up on the models this early.  

That deep trough out west has the potential to spit out some very impressive storm systems over the next week or two.  We haven't seen the deep tropical moisture get shoved down into the gulf yet.  The wide area of summer-like heat and humidity with the associated high PWATs remains on the warm side of the baroclinic zone.  Also have the subtropical feed coming in as well.  On the cool side snows are starting to fall already.  Some models even dump accumulating snows, which will only act to enhance the baroclinic battle zone.  Maybe we'll see something special spin up along that zone in the next week or two if that trough remains.

Looks like the GFS gets the Sergio remnants involved in that system late next week.  That would be a little interesting to see.

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

How cool to see snow on the fall colored trees. What kind of baby fir or spruce tree is that? It will be interesting to see it be completely buried this Winter.

The tree is a black spruce.  I actually planted 6 of them 2 summer's ago.  The tip of the tree is 38" tall, so it'll take some snow to bury it all the way... we'll see!

13 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Awesome Man I am glad you finally were able to make your dream happen! I would love to exp a tug winter just once. Hopefully we have a great LES season for everyone. Can you provide a location on a map close proximity to your home? I assume you found work outside of the Tug?

FYI, I think its getting about that time to fire up a new 18/19 LES Thread.

Thanks! If you drew a line from Redfield to North Osceola, I live almost right in the middle and just south of that line.

I am working right here on the Tug where I live. :)

I agree...about time for a LES thread!