Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

With rain and strong wind coming, leaves are probably at their peak.  Was hoping to have a nice and sunny day to view them before they fall, but the sun has been in pretty short supply the last 10 days or more.

Took this today looking over the Dead River

IMG_7315.thumb.jpg.78812b67c3e26c6424c13b921d8179fd.jpg

Very nice!  Was thinking about heading up to Wisconsin in about 3 weeks when I'm on vacation to shoot some foliage pics.  Looks like it may be too late by then as things appear a bit ahead of schedule.  May have to slum it and find some place in this area lol.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Very nice!  Was thinking about heading up to Wisconsin in about 3 weeks when I'm on vacation to shoot some foliage pics.  Looks like it may be too late by then as things appear a bit ahead of schedule.  May have to slum it and find some place in this area lol.

The Driftless Area in NE IA and SW WI might be a good bet. Plenty of deep cuts and valleys with very picturesque streams its very heavily forested as well. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking something like 88 here tomorrow.  Temps aloft are just a tad short of what I'd like to see for 90, but I suppose it can't entirely be ruled out if models are underdoing that a little bit.  I do think there's a somewhat better shot at 90 (at least isolated) south of I-80 in IL, where 925 mb temps are progged to be 24-25C late afternoon.

Hi, all! This.is "blackrock" who used to post from West Michigan. Made the big move to the Tug this summer...so needless to say, I am excited for some 300 inch + winters and will definitely be joining in on your lake effect discussions.

Nice shot, Bo! Foliage is behind here...but has exploded in color the last couple days.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hi, all! This.is "blackrock" who used to post from West Michigan. Made the big move to the Tug this summer...so needless to say, I am excited for some 300 inch + winters and will definitely be joining in on your lake effect discussions.

Nice shot, Bo! Foliage is behind here...but has exploded in color the last couple days.

Quite an upgrade.  :snowing:

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Very nice.  That looks like a pretty remote area.  Are you gonna have to stock up supplies in case you get snowed in for a period of time?  Doesn't look like there's too much around that area.

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

My guess would be in 3 weeks southern wisconsin would be nice peeping,  but past peak in northern. Im counting on the 13-14th to have great color in northern lower MI when im.up there, then the next weekend here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Welcome back. Will be nice to read your discussions. Is it very remote where you are?

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Quite an upgrade.  :snowing:

Ha...sure is! Hope you are doing well, Hoosier. :)

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Very nice.  That looks like a pretty remote area.  Are you gonna have to stock up supplies in case you get snowed in for a period of time?  Doesn't look like there's too much around that area.

Definitely a different lifestyle here. The closest small towns are Pulaski and Camden, which are 25 minutes away. While remote, bigger cities like Watertown, Syracuse, and Rome/Utica are all less than an hour away.

We will definitely be stocking up somewhat, but they take really good care of the roads during winter here. The economy relies on people who come for winter rrecreation and spend money on food/drinks, fuel, and lodging.

You should see some of the equipment that is used!

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Welcome back. Will be nice to read your discussions. Is it very remote where you are?

Hey, bud. See above. :) Weekends are incredibly busy with people coming to their camps...and playing on their 4 wheelers, fishing, etc...just can't get away from people! Ha. During the week it is totally different and very quiet...it feels more isolated...which I love! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I am going to miss the updates from the Spring Lake/Muskegon area.  I guess I won't have to be disappointed reading how 20-30 minutes north of me got twice as much snow as I did.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

I am going to miss the updates from the Spring Lake/Muskegon area.  I guess I won't have to be disappointed reading how 20-30 minutes north of me got twice as much snow as I did.

I will definitely be in touch with you about west Michigan weather. Hopefully we will both get socked with snow this winter!

9 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Wow, congratulations! Now we have members posting from all the major snow belts.  Can’t wait to see pics and observations from the area!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Wow, congratulations! Now we have members posting from all the major snow belts.  Can’t wait to see pics and observations from the area!

We have 3 new posters in the LES belts now. 2 in the Tughill (Redfield & Altmar). Also one who moved to the Chautauqua ridge south of here. Going to be some insane pics out of those locations this winter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Definitely a different lifestyle here. The closest small towns are Pulaski and Camden, which are 25 minutes away. While remote, bigger cities like Watertown, Syracuse, and Rome/Utica are all less than an hour away.

We will definitely be stocking up somewhat, but they take really good care of the roads during winter here. The economy relies on people who come for winter rrecreation and spend money on food/drinks, fuel, and lodging.

Hey, bud. See above. :) Weekends are incredibly busy with people coming to their camps...and playing on their 4 wheelers, fishing, etc...just can't get away from people! Ha. During the week it is totally different and very quiet...it feels more isolated...which I love! :)

Enjoy! I forget, where are you from originally?

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Might be a bit difficult on some of the days. 

Image result for redfield new york snow

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

This as well, which I find actually more incredible being in the south.

Wow that's odd for Atlanta. Detroit has had 3 times on record where it hit 90° in October. It hit 90゚ on October 8, 2007, 92゚ on October 7, 1963, and 91゚ on October 6, 1963. It also hit  89゚ in 1951 and 1953, and 88゚ in 1897 in 1951.

Even in October Champaign getting 89’d, ‘‘ ‘tis has been the theme of 2018. But similar to cyclone, our record was going to be safe anyway, 93 from 1954.

That Atlanta October stat just blew my mind. That is really bizarre. Wonder what stops then from hitting 90 in October so much? 

20 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Even in October Champaign getting 89’d, ‘‘ ‘tis has been the theme of 2018. But similar to cyclone, our record was going to be safe anyway, 93 from 1954.

Good news... afternoon climate report shows 90 for CMI.  Happened in between hours.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

88 here, and 89 at MLI today.  Had a gust to 46 here on the home weather station, which is impressive considering it's only about 13ft above the ground.  

The record was never in play at MLI today, as the old record was a scorching 95 from 2006.

Didn't realize it was so hot on this day in 2006.  Probably because it was much cooler in my area.

High temps from that day:

181004001044u.gif.b7a3c6c34472c2ecc6a76a149f1d42f7.gif