Dano62
October 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Small storm...

ecmwf_slp_precip_ma_35.png

ecmwf_slp_precip_ma_36.png

ecmwf_slp_precip_ma_37.png

Rjay or anyone else , where can I find "THIS" map or these pictures ? I am on tropical tidbits and I cannot find the ECMWF 6 hourly precipitation and MSLP ,,,,? I can access and see most other things on tidbits but I can't find this  exact map that you posted , thanks in advance for any info.

14 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Rjay or anyone else , where can I find "THIS" map or these pictures ? I am on tropical tidbits and I cannot find the ECMWF 6 hourly precipitation and MSLP ,,,,? I can access and see most other things on tidbits but I can't find this  exact map that you posted , thanks in advance for any info.

It's on a pay site..  weather.us has good euro maps for free though!

GALE WARNING    NYC HARBOR AREA      TILL 6PM TOMORROW.

This is an important message from NY Alert

Issued To: New York Harbor

HEADLINE: Gale Warning issued October 20 at 2:55PM EDT until October 21 at 6:00PM EDT by NWS New York City - Upton

DESCRIPTION: ...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 6 PM EDT SUNDAY...
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Gale Warning,
which is in effect from 6 AM to 6 PM EDT Sunday. The Small Craft
Advisory is no longer in effect.
* WINDS...NW 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt.

INSTRUCTIONS: A Gale Warning means sustained winds or frequent gusts of 34 to
47 kt are expected or occurring. Operating a vessel in gale
conditions requires experience and properly equipped vessels. It
is highly recommended that mariners without the proper experience
seek safe harbor prior to the onset of gale conditions.

Issued By: NWS New York City - Upton (Long Island and New York City)

Meanwhile, next Sunday may have a similar message, if the models can ever show back to back runs that are the same.    lol.

----------

Next 8 days averaging 49degs. or about 5degs. BN.

Month to date is +4.1[62.7].    Should be +1.4[58.8] by the 29th.

The RRWT which gave no indication of this current BN period, is promising a +5 month of Nov. for us.  Walls of Jericho may fall as Dec. starts, however.

GFS 06Z is 990mb., 2", and 50mph gusts for us this time next week.

It looks like a very MJO driven forecast from late October into early November. The current phase 8 translates into the NAO drop and storm signal for later in the month. MJO 8-2 is colder than normal here this time of year. But we have to watch for a move into 3 during November which would tend to moderate the cooler pattern with more ridging returning for the East. I think this active MJO is why the long range models keep shifting from run to run on their forecasts beyond a week to 10 days. They should settle down once they get a better handle on the MJO. 

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif.435110f6d3e5a51e378b2c11af331d01.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like a very MJO driven forecast from late October into early November. The current phase 8 translates into the NAO drop and storm signal for later in the month. MJO 8-2 is colder than normal here this time of year. But we have to watch for a move into 3 during November which would tend to moderate the cooler pattern with more ridging returning for the East. I think this active MJO is why the long range models keep shifting from run to run on their forecasts beyond a week to 10 days. They should settle down once they get a better handle on the MJO. 

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif.435110f6d3e5a51e378b2c11af331d01.gif

Heard from NE thread that beginning of Nov re-torches? Is this the reason for models showing that? 

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Warmer Nov/Dec is common in Nino's though guidance is still on the fence about December. 

Root for a -NAO/-AO pattern during an El Nino December if you want it cold in NYC.

El Nino Decembers since 2000 in NYC:

2015 +13.3....+NAO...+AO

2014...+3.0....+NAO...+AO

2009....-1.4.....-NAO....-AO

2006....+6.3....+NAO...+AO

2004....+1.1....+NAO...+AO

2002....-1.3.....-NAO.....-AO

• Like 4

Actually had a decent sized branch break in today’s gusty winds. I’m the winter they would be  run of the mill but with trees in full leaf here they are impactful.

im starting to get excited for nexts weekends storm. Obviously not from a winter perspective but for a good wind and coastal flooding event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Actually had a decent sized branch break in today’s gusty winds. I’m the winter they would be  run of the mill but with trees in full leaf here they are impactful.

im starting to get excited for nexts weekends storm. Obviously not from a winter perspective but for a good wind and coastal flooding event.

My location in the Catskills (Liberty NY) has rain and snow for next weekend, guess I know where I'll be.