Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Had about 8” with that October 2011 storm back in Pompton Plains. Took down many trees and did tons of damage to the power grid and some homes.

That storm was the poster child for the clearing vs. one measurement debate. A spotter just up the road from me called in 21.6 while I was at 13" when I measured at the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

32F. Winter is here. 

Geez, you sound like Snow88 :lol:

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Had about 8” with that October 2011 storm back in Pompton Plains. Took down many trees and did tons of damage to the power grid and some homes.

That was a bad storm for our area.  I still have pictures of bright foliage with all that snow on the ground.  Something you don't see often.

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was living in long beach at the time and we got a slushy coating on closer surfaces. Same in wantagh where I live now. I drove NW to see the snow and there was def a line in queens where it went from a coating to a legit snow event. The north shore had nothing as you said. That was a truly incredible event followed by an awful winter 

There must have been some gradient between Bronx where they got 6" down to nothing on the north shore of Queens and then back to a slushy coating to an inch on the south shore lol.  Central Park wasn't that far from verifying a warning criteria event (in terms of distance)....Newark was over 5" too.

5 hours ago, snywx said:

A general 12-18” fell here in Orange County on 10/29/11.. Halloween was pushed into the first week of November cause many were without power

That was one of the most dynamic events I've ever seen, you must've had that thundersnow too...it would have been a HECS in the middle of winter, let alone in October where that was probably 1 in 1,000 year event.  Of course those seem to be occurring more frequently now lol.

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

That storm was the poster child for the clearing vs. one measurement debate. A spotter just up the road from me called in 21.6 while I was at 13" when I measured at the end.

Clearly you measured incorrectly. You need to go with the method that gives you the highest snowfall total...even if it involves drifting and/or the berm or pile left by a snow plow. You then must say at least half a dozen times that you are either getting crushed or destroyed. Get your head in the game!

First frost and first freeze of the season here, a couple days late on the average first frost but ahead of schedule of the average first feeeze IMBY. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks Don, do you have the date when those lows occurred in October 2016?

Islip's monthly low temperature of 36° occurred on October 29. On October 27 (low temperature of 40°), Islip had a trace of snow.

New York City's (Central Park) monthly low temperature of 38° occurred on October 26.

• Like 1