• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Next 8 days averaging 70degs., or about 11degs. AN.

5-day cooldown (14th.-19th.) seems is all we will get.   CFS looks warmer overall in the long range as it bounces around in it's own way.

The 500mb heights will go from +190m to -60m then back AN over the next 15 days.

3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 70degs., or about 11degs. AN.

5-day cooldown (14th.-19th.) seems is all we will get.   CFS looks warmer overall in the long range as it bounces around in it's own way.

The 500mb heights will go from +190m to -60m then back AN over the next 15 days.

11* is huge. Up here it shouldn't be more than just a few and that's entirely due to high minimums because the daytime temps are ~70 give or take a few.

Ben Noll in regards to the Euro Seasonal

-Continues to paint a stormy, cold picture for the East Coast.
-Pattern gets underway sooner; i.e. Nov or Dec, than last run.
-Feb still looks like the biggest month.
-Jan is wet West Coast.
-Driven by hybrid Niño, Modoki-lean. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

More clouds today.  For a warm pattern 27 of the last 34 days have features cloudy - mostly cloudy conditions.

sat_24.gif

This is one of the more interesting warm patterns we've had in Fall.  Lot of warmth coupled with lots of clouds.  Compare this to 2015, which to my recollection was much sunnier. 

Clearing in Eastern Suffolk. Wonder if temps overperform out this way? Already 69F

El Nino usually makes coast wetter and warmer than normal with chances for big storms (and if timing is right) snow. Usually back loaded winters with warm starts.

That scary December without a day below freezing in NYC was a strong El Nino.

46 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

This is one of the more interesting warm patterns we've had in Fall.  Lot of warmth coupled with lots of clouds.  Compare this to 2015, which to my recollection was much sunnier. 

Yeah, the minimum departures this fall are running +5 to +10 across the wider region with such high humidity. The maximum departures are a more modest +3 to +6 with all the clouds and onshore flow.

680647875_Screenshot2018-10-06at12_31_53PM.png.bc50941a83d1ee80eb4540997bbe6729.png

45542181_Screenshot2018-10-06at12_32_13PM.png.f0a29145f346e378e57365876428528d.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the minimum departures this fall are running +5 to +10 across the wider region with such high humidity. The maximum departures are a more modest +3 to +6 with all the clouds and onshore flow.

680647875_Screenshot2018-10-06at12_31_53PM.png.bc50941a83d1ee80eb4540997bbe6729.png

45542181_Screenshot2018-10-06at12_32_13PM.png.f0a29145f346e378e57365876428528d.png

The warm minimums and high humidity have continued from Summer right into Fall.  Looks like we get a cool shot starting next weekend.  The question is, do we go back AN, or level out?

16 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

60 degrees the humidity should not matter..

Near 100% humidity and temps between 62 and 65 is not nice. I had until recently the windows open until it started feeling annoyingly sticky inside and had a nice puddle of water under my cup and on my cup. That was enough for me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

Could mean a mild November and December if this record +NAO pattern continues. We need a strong -NAO/-AO pattern in order to get a cool December during an El Nino. El Nino winters usually reserve the best snow and cold chances for the second half in a more backloaded manner. 

The rest of October could feature a very changeable or volatile pattern. We are starting October with a lingering La Nina pattern. So it means the rest of October may see a battle between the La Nina WAR and the October El Nino Great Lakes trough.

Was hoping for an 11/12 type winter

• Like 1

Next 8 days averaging 67degs., or still about 9degs. AN, as mean is dropping too, at about a degree every 4 days.   The cooldown should keep knocking the 8-day surplus down from now on.   We'll see soon if there is an 8-day BN period coming.

13 hours ago, nycwinter said:

60 degrees the humidity should not matter..

13 hours ago, Sundog said:

Near 100% humidity and temps between 62 and 65 is not nice. I had until recently the windows open until it started feeling annoyingly sticky inside and had a nice puddle of water under my cup and on my cup. That was enough for me. 

So humid that the mist never broke all day. Everything was slimy and wet making outdoor activities not much fun. Now it rained all night and it's pea soup fog out there ruining (at least) the morning. 

That upcoming dry shot will probably get muted like the decent weather the last few and next few days did. If you had looked at the NWS forecasts a few days ago you would have planned all sorts of outdoor stuff but instead we got this... :( 

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

So humid that the mist never broke all day. Everything was slimy and wet making outdoor activities not much fun. Now it rained all night and it's pea soup fog out there ruining (at least) the morning. 

That upcoming dry shot will probably get muted like the decent weather the last few and next few days did. If you had looked at the NWS forecasts a few days ago you would have planned all sorts of outdoor stuff but instead we got this... :( 

The amount of sun that was forecast had most believing nice weather was coming.   Instead constant clouds and mugginess