• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

7 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Can hear the wind howling outside and rain is back, really need it to stop and sun to come out so my fence contractor can finish my split rail out front. 

I almost bought a house on Balsam at 5600 feet. Beautiful view, pretty nice house but nowhere for the kids to play...

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

I almost bought a house on Balsam at 5600 feet. Beautiful view, pretty nice house but nowhere for the kids to play...

We have a great winter view of the mountain across 74 from us (sunrise this morning was amazing to wake up to - lots of windows on the main upper level) but otherwise we are in the trees tucked in a little cove on the side of the mountain.  Can’t wait to check out the views on the parkway above the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Ran the Mt. Mitchell Challenge yesterday. All good until reaching the state park. Winds over 50 mph with mod rain and ice balls. Crazy weather. 1000’down it was just rain and fog.

Congratulations on running that, that’s a fantastic achievement. It takes a different breed of athlete to accomplish that run.

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Ran the Mt. Mitchell Challenge yesterday. All good until reaching the state park. Winds over 50 mph with mod rain and ice balls. Crazy weather. 1000’down it was just rain and fog.

Congrats Brother !

57 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

903pm GFMTN sustained 89 gust to 120

A bit breezy eh; going for a new record perhaps.

:twister:

I had a gust at 64 at 9:46. That's high for my location. But more impressive today has been the sustained winds in the upper forties for the past 12 hours. You can dodge a gusty wind but when it blows this hard you pretty much have to stay out of it. I hate the wind. It's eerie. 

19 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

We have a great winter view of the mountain across 74 from us (sunrise this morning was amazing to wake up to - lots of windows on the main upper level) but otherwise we are in the trees tucked in a little cove on the side of the mountain.  Can’t wait to check out the views on the parkway above the house.

Oh yeah its beautiful up there. Great hiking and camping. 

24 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

If you believe it the euro is showing a return to winter in about a week. To a lesser extent the GFS is also advertising this.

Well were essentially getting to the point where all the eggs have to be put in the same basket. Running out of time, even for us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nchighcountrywx said:

903pm GFMTN sustained 89 gust to 120

Per WLOS just now; new record set for 3 second gust at 124 mph.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckethead said:

12z gfs...I don't like being in the bullseye this far out.  I'm expecting rain so I won't be disappointed. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_23.png

gfs_asnow_seus_36.png

Yea, honestly this is soc lose to just another rainmaker that I'm not putting any thought into it unless a lot changes. This just isn't the winter for the Southeast.

42 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

No kidding.  This has been an impressive stretch with it raining constantly. 

I was by the lake this morning and where the Tuck and little Tennessee come into the lake the water level is really high for February.  Usually,  it's still flowing at this time of year!. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snowbird1230 said:

It came up close to 50' in the last 12 days

It's the fullest I have ever seen it in February 

• Like 1

I am becoming increasingly interested in the possibility for snow showers on Tuesday around WNC. Should get some agreement among models this weekend.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hvward said:

I am becoming increasingly interested in the possibility for snow showers on Tuesday around WNC. Should get some agreement among models this weekend.

With the cold air that'll be in place I'm hopeful there'll be some accumulation.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

Sigh... I'm getting used to the "warm" now... Ready to get into the garden/yard! 

March always brings in second winter and it seems to be more often lately after February spring softens us up; the question is, will April be a winter or spring month.  :shiver:

• Like 2