Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

On 2/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, nchighcountrywx said:

Monitoring a Weather Flow Sonic Anemometer at Seven Devils today in this wind event 

I am impressed with the wind updating in real time 

Not bad for $299.   Anyone else expiremented with one yet?

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/5094/grid

zHnP522.png

Ordered one today. I've blown 300 on lots of other stuff so I figured............why not?  Like, you I am interested in how it functions.  Personally, I bought because of the size.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 (like new) with all the bells and whistles, along with the software just sitting in a box.  Been there since June of 2016 when we moved to a place that has an HOA that would frown on me setting it up.  Hoping the lower profile on this unit will work and also hoping the accuracy isn't like the FV3.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Ordered one today. I've blown 300 on lots of other stuff so I figured............why not?  Like, you I am interested in how it functions.  Personally, I bought because of the size.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 (like new) with all the bells and whistles, along with the software just sitting in a box.  Been there since June of 2016 when we moved to a place that has an HOA that would frown on me setting it up.  Hoping the lower profile on this unit will work and also hoping the accuracy isn't like the FV3.

You want to sell your Davis?

Drove back from Maggie Valley on the Parkway this morning, pulled in at Waterrock Knob and was treated to strong winds forcing moisture up the the southern side of the mountain and creating a cloud right before our eyes.  That was an awesome scene seeing a weather principle at work in person.  Might have to make a drive up there in the morning before I head to Wilkesboro for work to see if winter is able to make a return at 5000’+ feet overnight.  Hoping to get lucky and see a few wet flakes down the mountain if the forecast still holds for tonight, if not maybe I’ll luck out and catch a few Tuesday in Wilkes.

• Like 1

High elevation peeps....I would expect snow showers and flurries to commence towards midnight tonight lasting into the first half of Monday.  Then again Tuesday night towards midnight lasting into mid morning Wednesday.  Nothing major but isolated dusting to 1/2 inch stuff with perhaps more in the highest elevations along the northern TN/NC line.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

About a half inch here with 19.5 degrees and a wicked wind. Wonder if this will be the last time we see snow this year. I'm about half of my yearly average snowfall. This winter has been pretty dismal, to say the least.

Yeah if it hadn't been for the December snow this would be one of the worst winters ever here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah it has been a nice change.  Light snow all morning here.

When I left the house it was like a real light powdered sugar falling from the sky lol.  A few hundred feet down from the gap and could barely see some snow on rooftops.   Elevation is a good thing! 

• Like 2

I would expect more flurry and snow shower action tonight.  850s crash tonight and 850mb RH goes to 95%+.  Probably similar timing as last time with near midnight start but ending quicker Wednesday morning.  More of a novelty than anything else.  Maybe someone will get lucky and get another 1/2 inch.  Single digits will be common above 3500 feet.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Already down to 18.9 and breezy. Going to be a three dog night for sure. Add in some flurries and it'll feel like it's supposed to. Anyone have any thoughts about Thurs night/Fri morning?

Yeah this is the way its suppose to feel. Im loving it. I think we will see some pretty good snow shower/flurries tonight.  I think you are in a good spot to see some wintery weather Thursday night but it wont last long.

• Thanks 1