Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

25 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

Doesn't all this thunder mean 10 days from now a snowstorm, I'm hearing so much thunder we might be in for a Blizzard.  I wish.  :snowing:

Top Six Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter than average squirrels next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

6. A ring around the moon means your Lasik surgeon screwed up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, jburns said:

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter than average squirrels next spring.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

I've waited all winter for this post. Took too long lol

• Like 1

Thanks jburns!!! I missed that post in September too... getting a little punchy from this sad excuse of a winter that held such promise at the beginning...

2 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:
2 hours ago, Moonhowl said:
Teleconnections not looking like they will take a dive like March of last year.  Chances for any significant snow looking grim but sure we will see a few more flakes before spring sets in. 

Just setting up for the great Bristol TN blizzard on NASCAR weekend in April.

That would be a  disaster. How would they get where they have to go? Oh, wait. They will already be where they are going before they start going there.  Nevermind. :)

5 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I prefer that to living in a tinderbox like WNC was in 2016.  

I think all this excess moisture will be just as miserable. If we head into Spring this wet, it's going to be miserable. We'll have 10 fold the mosquitoes that we're used to and mold spores galore. Basements and crawlspaces are flooding like crazy, foundations are cracking, roofs a leaking at alarming rate. Not to mention all the washout and mudslides we're having and you can forget farming/gardens if this keeps up.

At least during a dry spell, less the once in a century wildfires, you can still enjoy it outside in the sun. If we don't dry up soon before April, it's going to be miserable.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice Joe. It is cold and wet here with a temp of 42 degrees. The river is up here.  Good times.

Yep, watching the the Pigeon River right now, it's as full as a tick. Also, looking at the rain falling now and the radar returns to our west, it seems to me precipitation rates are going to be higher than what the forecast is calling for.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

Yep, watching the the Pigeon River right now, it's as full as a tick. Also, looking at the rain falling now and the radar returns to our west, it seems to me precipitation rates are going to be higher than what the forecast is calling for.  

Yeah I agree. The river really started going up yesterday and has just continued to rise. With the way the radar looks we could definitely see some river flooding into tonight.  A ton of street flooding also.

• Like 1