• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Mping reports showing ice occurring in Austin, TX.  A lot of times with these overrunning events I like to look downstream to see how moist the atmosphere is compared to what models showed.  Looking back at yesterdays 3km NAM runs, there was no real switch to snow for parts of TX, but on the most recent 6z run, there is a swath of 1"-2" across central TX.  With dew points low enough, I think we could see wetbulbing at 850mb and some snowflakes/ip mixing in tonight and into tomorrow as this overrunning precipitation makes it into WNC.  Similar setup on Sunday am but wedge does appear to recede.  Could be some surprises in store this weekend..

• Like 2

Mping reports showing ice occurring in Austin, TX.  A lot of times with these overrunning events I like to look downstream to see how moist the atmosphere is compared to what models showed.  Looking back at yesterdays 3km NAM runs, there was no real switch to snow for parts of TX, but on the most recent 6z run, there is a swath of 1"-2" across central TX.  With dew points low enough, I think we could see wetbulbing at 850mb and some snowflakes/ip mixing in tonight and into tomorrow as this overrunning precipitation makes it into WNC.  Similar setup on Sunday am but wedge does appear to recede.  Could be some surprises in store this weekend..

Moisture didn’t quite make it into WNC, but saw some reports of sleet down around GSP.. tomorrow’s precip looks to be later and warmer as well on most recent Nam runs. Is it too much to ask for for two solid weeks off Gulf Lows and favorable blocking? Maybe the last half of Feb will bring the goods. I am at the point of finding my favorite EPS member with long range fantasy snow and just watching it unfold to remember what a snowstorm looks like on models.

50 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Moisture didn’t quite make it into WNC, but saw some reports of sleet down around GSP.. tomorrow’s precip looks to be later and warmer as well on most recent Nam runs. Is it too much to ask for for two solid weeks off Gulf Lows and favorable blocking? Maybe the last half of Feb will bring the goods. I am at the point of finding my favorite EPS member with long range fantasy snow and just watching it unfold to remember what a snowstorm looks like on models.

You sure won't find it on the GFS. Spring is the word.  :)

Back from a little winter hiatus and it doesn't look like much has changed except my skin color. Hillbilly white to Valentines Day red in 10 days. But it was nice to get away for a while. Thanks to you guys for not letting me miss out on a good snow. Maybe a flake or two next week?

You know property taxes are getting out of hand when Bob has to work at Ingles to pay them.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2019/02/13/answer-man-former-wlos-weatherman-bob-caldwell-works-ingles/2846194002/

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Grandfather Mountain set a new wind record about 4am this morning of 121.3mph. Crazy. It was the strongest wind I've seen at the house in foscoe since I moved there.

Story on the wind speed record on WLOS site here:

https://wlos.com/news/local/blown-away-grandfather-mountain-sets-new-wind-speed-record

1 hour ago, Phelps said:

I know winter isn't over in the high country yet and we'll see what happens the rest of February but right now it isn't looking too promising.  If the next 2 weeks are anything like the last couple then it will be the 2nd February in a row with very little snow, even in the highest elevations.  Frustrating. 

KAVL won't see below freezing temps for the rest of February! Crazy!

3 hours ago, Phelps said:

I know winter isn't over in the high country yet and we'll see what happens the rest of February but right now it isn't looking too promising.  If the next 2 weeks are anything like the last couple then it will be the 2nd February in a row with very little snow, even in the highest elevations.  Frustrating. 

No. Its virtually over at this point.

53 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah we are far from over. This winter has been awful though but as some have mentioned this spring is probably going to be delayed. 

Delayed spring seems to be the new normal.  This is the 3rd consecutive February with way above average temperatures and flowering trees/bulbs/etc.  Only to be followed by a deadly freeze in March and April.  And now the mountains look like they will get 4-7" of RAIN in the next 10 days or so.  Incredible.

• Like 1