• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Bad news is, it is gonna be warmer yes but it doesn't look like sunny and warm at all with all of the Pacific air and a storm track up the Ohio Valley. There will be lots of southerly flow which will make for dreary rainy times for the escarpment and most of the mountains. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Bad news is, it is gonna be warmer yes but it doesn't look like sunny and warm at all with all of the Pacific air and a storm track up the Ohio Valley. There will be lots of southerly flow which will make for dreary rainy times for the escarpment and most of the mountains. 

Do you need a hug dude?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Sans a blocking pattern no doubt the two options for the southeast in the winter are cold and dry or warm and wet.  I recall some El Nino years were the sun was a rare sight during February.

Just now, ncjoaquin said:

Do you need a hug dude?

Haha sorry if I seem a bit down. Just disappointed in the fact that so many reputable mets called for a possible historic winter and it has been historically bad since the big December snow. Also where I live is still recovering from the flooding from last fall which has devastated our trail system making my job much harder. I am just so tired of the rain and wet weather. It ruined my honeymoon last year with Florence, etc. Trying to stay positive isn't working. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Haha sorry if I seem a bit down. Just disappointed in the fact that so many reputable mets called for a possible historic winter and it has been historically bad since the big December snow. Also where I live is still recovering from the flooding from last fall which has devastated our trail system making my job much harder. I am just so tired of the rain and wet weather. It ruined my honeymoon last year with Florence, etc. Trying to stay positive isn't working. 

Ha ! Ha! Well, that's okay buddy. We have all been there. Other than early December, it has been a pitiful stretch of weather. I am like you. Nothing has gone right for me lately, but I am trying the positive route. I will be back where you are I am sure. Congrats on your marriage !!! Let's hope it all gets better for all of us soon.

• Like 2

You do trail maintenence? I know the northern end of grandfather has been shut down since last may. Have had to go in the back and psuedo-legal way to access Boone fork since then.
  • Like 1

A SW mountains special. 

A strong cold front will bring precipitation early Tuesday,
along with very cold Arctic air. Temperatures will fall rapidly
and snow levels will fall through the morning before precipitation
tapers off by the afternoon. Moderate to heavy snow will occur
across the higher elevations of the southern North Carolina
mountains and light to moderate snowfall is expected elsewhere
across the North Carolina mountains and northeast Georgia.

NCZ051-052-058-059-062-063-282100-
/O.UPG.KGSP.WS.A.0002.190129T0600Z-190130T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KGSP.WW.Y.0005.190129T0900Z-190130T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KGSP.WS.W.0002.190129T0900Z-190130T0000Z/
Swain-Haywood-Graham-Northern Jackson-Macon-Southern Jackson-
Including the cities of Alarka, Almond, Bryson City, Luada,
Wesser, Waynesville, Waterville, Canton, Cruso, Cove Creek,
Robbinsville, Stecoah, Cullowhee, Tuckasegee, Sylva, Franklin,
Rainbow Springs, Kyle, Highlands, Wolf Mountain, and Cashiers
418 AM EST Mon Jan 28 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST TUESDAY
ABOVE 3500 FEET...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST
TUESDAY BELOW 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected above 3500 feet. Snow expected below
  3500 feet. Above 3500 feet, total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches expected. Below 3500 feet, total snow accumulations of 1
  to 3 inches expected.

* WHERE...Southwest portion of western North Carolina.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 7 PM EST Tuesday.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:
23 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

You do trail maintenence? I know the northern end of grandfather has been shut down since last may. Have had to go in the back and psuedo-legal way to access Boone fork since then.

It is a portion of my job yes. I mostly lead outdoor programs including kayak trips, educational lessons, etc. The high levels ruined the fall paddling season too.