Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

1 hour ago, cold air aloft said:

Yes, The Fines Creek/Crabtree areas usually hit the jackpot in NW flow events.

Yea, they are in a prime location for that.  Canton was getting it pretty good on my way up around 11:15.  There was still a solid dusting in the sheltered areas when I entered the “neighborhood” around 12 but our future lot and house has a strong southern exposure so most of what had fallen earlier had melted up there.  Looking forward to providing obs from there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Yea, they are in a prime location for that.  Canton was getting it pretty good on my way up around 11:15.  There was still a solid dusting in the sheltered areas when I entered the “neighborhood” around 12 but our future lot and house has a strong southern exposure so most of what had fallen earlier had melted up there.  Looking forward to providing obs from there.

Balsam is a unique place to be. Haywood is a unique weather county in general. 

• Like 2

Well I walked to the top of Big Bald (5500') a few minutes ago thinking I'd get some cool eclipse shots with the snowpack.  I got moderate snow still falling and 30+ mph winds with a temp near 0.  There's at least 5-6" up there in less exposed areas.  I'm over 3" now at my house.

LRM_EXPORT_176720544480849_20190120_234343701.jpeg

• Like 7

Well I walked to the top of Big Bald (5500') a few minutes ago thinking I'd get some cool eclipse shots with the snowpack.  I got moderate snow still falling and 30+ mph winds with a temp near 0.  There's at least 5-6" up there in less exposed areas.  I'm over 3" now at my house.

Pretty clear here in Boone but still getting snow flurry squalls here and there even with the clear skies. Lunar eclipse is incredible right now.

My body is in shock. Was in 80 degree weather in and around Aruba all week and just got back tonight and it’s showing 9 degrees right now.
  • Like 2

Just now, AirNelson39 said:

Pretty clear here in Boone but still getting snow flurry squalls here and there even with the clear skies. Lunar eclipse is incredible right now.

My body is in shock. Was in 80 degree weather in and around Aruba all week and just got back tonight and it’s showing 9 degrees right now.

That just sounds painful man.  80 sounds really nice right now. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 3:23 PM, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Can’t forget the ice first. Tomorrow night and Wednesday morning just east of the blue ridge 

IMO we may see more IP/ZR with this one...I am not buying the change over to rain at 8am...also look likes some cold next week coming in Tuesday and Wednesday with another blast of cold :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I was sitting at 39 at 7am.  Now down to 30.4/29 and snow starting to cover the ground.  

Starting to have my doubts whether we will even see a flake down here in the valley; out with the moisture and in with the cold air; c'est la vie.

5 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

It went from 48 at 5 am to 45 at 830. And I've busted my butt twice getting to and from campus. Can we get 65 and sun til it at least dries out...

I am thinking you have a typo on those temps unless the freezing point has changed.  I was wondering out loud to my wife the other day if we would ever see dust again or is it just mud for ever more.

• Haha 1