Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

27 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

About .4 ice accumulation here. Was out on the porch with a coffee and heard 3 trees fall within about 15 minutes. 

i think we got about .20 here along the escarpment warm nose was strong just HT said it would. Freezing rain is like snow it takes alot to be right to get much more than a .25 imo 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

0.62” liquid equivalent. Little to no ice in southwest Buncombe. Forecast went pretty much like I expected. NAM and RGEM were indeed too aggressive.  Glad impacts to most folks are minimal!

I will say that is thicker in the trees here, though, than I have seen it. The last real ice accumulation I remember in this area was I at my old place in 1996. THAT was an icestorm there. So, it was at least different in that regard. 

• Like 1

Headed up to look at houses around Waynesville and Maggie Valley, hit good glaze on trees between Stanley and Lincolnton then slack on glaze until we got closer to 40 on 321. “Good” amount of ice on trees and what looked to even be some on ground basically when we got to Rutherford College.  Will be an interesting day, checking our houses ranging from 2900’ up near Waterville Lake to 3600’ at the base of Cold Mountain and 4000’ up above Balsam on the county line.  Looking forward to being able to participate in this thread as a resident in the near future.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

I will say that is thicker in the trees here, though, than I have seen it. The last real ice accumulation I remember in this area was I at my old place in 1996. THAT was an icestorm there. So, it was at least different in that regard. 

I will add that this is the 2nd time in the last year that we have had ice accumulate on everything here in Candler. Usually we get nothing at all but rain and 33.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BretWheatley said:

Ended up losing the tree that I took a picture of this morning. Sucks. 

Water in the house and losing a tree; you certainly have had the bad end of the weather recently; hope the tree did not fall on anything but the ground and the water wasn't too destructive.  Maybe we can get some nice cold light weight snow at some point this winter although my magic 8 ball says outlook not so good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Nothing here. The warm nose came screaming in rising my temp above freezing by 11 pm. 

The dreaded warm nose, what has to happen to not have to deal with the warm nose in a storm, seems like back in the 60's and 70's with the great winters we had you never heard of a warm nose, it stayed plenty cold during most if not all the storms and the precipitation stayed snow.  So what does it take to not have to worry about the warm nose?