Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

11 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

Newest 3k NAM looks nasty as hell. Let’s hope it’s too cold. Sitting at 33/20 now. 

It is too cold.  Was off by 3-4 degrees too cold on min temps this morning.

The low is also tracking 75-100 miles further north across the Midwest, giving Chicago 2-4" of snow (when their forecast was zero just last night).  This means we here will see a more robust warm nose.  Score one for the GFS - mostly non-event here in the mountains.

5 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

It is too cold.  Was off by 3-4 degrees too cold on min temps this morning.

The low is also tracking 75-100 miles further north across the Midwest, giving Chicago 2-4" of snow (when their forecast was zero just last night).  This means we here will see a more robust warm nose.  Score one for the GFS - mostly non-event here in the mountains.

Sounds good to me. I’d rather have that than ice. 

Don't know if it can be believed but the last HRRR is a primarily snow event for Boone with some brief swaps to sleet/zr. Narrow zone of zr/ip in the southern mountains along the best CAD zones. Anybody know how it's handling thermals currently? I seem to recall it showing this before and failing miserably.

Not really. I think we'll go to sleet but I doubt snow for very long. Some spots north of town up towards lansing/whitetop probably have a better chance for staying snow longer. I expect most folks west of town to go to rain at some point too if Boone itself doesn't.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by a few inches of white in the morning though.

Are you buying the HRRR at all? Keeps us as snow for a decent amount of time 

Well, well, well. 32 degrees and freezing rain in Maggie Valley of all places. We were forecasted to reach 40 degrees today, but my thermometer never got above 33. 

I’m sure the warm nose will make it’s presence felt soon, but I’m kind of enjoying this novelty right now. It’s been several years since we’ve had ZR IMBY.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

My automated rain gauge continues to measure  the precipitation. This tells me it continues to be all rain here in southwest Buncombe. 32.3°, dew point 31. No more room left for evaporative cooling.  Rain gauge at 0.08” and counting. Minimal to no ZR. 

31 here in West Asheville. The deck and car is frozen. Nothing on any paved surfaces. Precip has been light so far.