Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

10 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Dang fellas its suppose to be warm tomorrow.  All I can say is enjoy because it will get cold sooner or later.

I don't need to look at a model or the NWS forecast to know if there is little chance of cold and snow; no activity in the mountains thread = no snow :sizzle:

I know you love winter Met1985, I am curious during your sabbatical in Wisconsin, did that get to be a little too much winter even for you?

Last year other than one warm week in late February the cold and wind hung in through April in these parts as I know it did in the upper Midwest; I get grumpy when it is still winter in April.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonhowl said:

I don't need to look at a model or the NWS forecast to know if there is little chance of cold and snow; no activity in the mountains thread = no snow :sizzle:

I know you love winter Met1985, I am curious during your sabbatical in Wisconsin, did that get to be a little too much winter even for you?

Last year other than one warm week in late February the cold and wind hung in through April in these parts as I know it did in the upper Midwest; I get grumpy when it is still winter in April.

The thing up there is when the cold sets in its cloudy and cold from end to end. We have actually had more snow here than up where I was living. The snow up there is very dry and blows around a lot. Its not the same as here and not near as beautiful as here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:51 AM, Buckethead said:

Here ya go man.  Finished with 8.75" on my board.

LRM_EXPORT_233851356977371_20181222_094842363.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_233720419433619_20181222_094631425.jpeg

Thanks so much for the pictures! Congrats!

I'm not in the Mountains but rather in Concord, NC. It's achingly miserable to literally be in the transition zone. Had 3"of mostly sleet from the big storm. 10miles as the crow flies and there would have been 10"+. Last time I had a big snow was 2012 when I had 9".. So ready for another Piedmont surprise storm. Had 16" in 2000 in Charlotte. IT'S TIME

3 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

looks like the 14th is our "go time" according to the FV3. I assume the current OP says something similar, but I don't even check it anymore.

I wouldn't bank on that just yet. This pattern change is going to take some time and we will probably have some cool downs with some warm ups as the pac had to change before we can get anything decent. 

Also I'll add as for a true pattern change it may take the whole month of January.  As I had mentioned in the mid to long range thread an SSW does not mean automatic cold for us. Things have to line up in several places especially the pac jet which is just screaming in currently.  Get comfortable with this crap pattern because we are going to have it around for a bit.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Met1985 said:

Also I'll add as for a true pattern change it may take the whole month of January.  As I had mentioned in the mid to long range thread an SSW does not mean automatic cold for us. Things have to line up in several places especially the pac jet which is just screaming in currently.  Get comfortable with this crap pattern because we are going to have it around for a bit.

Yea I'm honestly just grasping at straws. the fact that even the mountains have to essentially punt a whole month is pathetic, i'm just glad we got over half of our annual snowfall already, because we;re gonna be lucky to get the rest. Supposed to be going to Ober around the 20th for my annual winter vacation, and as usual, looks like i'll be dodging more rocks and crap on the slopes than snow itself.

• Like 1

Yeah the cold air is coming at least a reprieve from this mild weather we are having. Looks like into next week a decent trough with sweep through.  Shoukd see some pretty good upslope snow showers coming through.  I haven't looked at the details yet but shoot it's better than what we are having currently if you like cold and snow. Although today is pretty dang beautiful.