• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

No white Christmas, but 40 degrees and overcast, I’ll take it. Merry Christmas y’all.

Yup! Around 47 here and overcast!
Works for me!
Also, I got a PWS ( finally) for Christmas! Working on rigging and setting it today!
Ambient weather 2902A.
Going to only use a 10’ pole attached to a fence post.
Cheers!
Merry Christmas folks!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sw NC weather said:

Merry Christmas guys. Hope everyone’s had a blessed day.

On a side note both GFS throw us some New Year’s Day snow!

Merry Christmas ladies and gentlemen...old snow laying around and lots of ice yesterday morning and a few flurries...wish you all the best for an awesome new year!  

• Like 1

Before we get to the cold that is advertised in January, we have to make it through the next very wet system this week.  It isn't being discussed too widely here, but GFS-FV3 and to some extent the NAM/Euro, are throwing out QPF values in excess of 4", with escarpment areas 5"+ by 12Z Monday, 12-31-18.  Some GFS members are over 8" of rain in these areas!  What is super spooky to me is that GFS has been the driest model for the wnc area all fall/winter long.

Unfortunately for snow lovers, this will be an all rain event as temperatures are just too warm for any frozen precip.  More importantly, flooding concerns will go up dramatically on Friday, and last through the weekend as the GFS and Euro bring another low system along the trailing cold front.

With exceptionally wet antecedent conditions, we need to be ready for rapid rises in area rivers/streams/creeks, and the potential for landslides/mudslides.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Before we get to the cold that is advertised in January, we have to make it through the next very wet system this week.  It isn't being discussed too widely here, but GFS-FV3 and to some extent the NAM/Euro, are throwing out QPF values in excess of 4", with escarpment areas 5"+ by 12Z Monday, 12-31-18.  Some GFS members are over 8" of rain in these areas!  What is super spooky to me is that GFS has been the driest model for the wnc area all fall/winter long.

Unfortunately for snow lovers, this will be an all rain event as temperatures are just too warm for any frozen precip.  More importantly, flooding concerns will go up dramatically on Friday, and last through the weekend as the GFS and Euro bring another low system along the trailing cold front.

With exceptionally wet antecedent conditions, we need to be ready for rapid rises in area rivers/streams/creeks, and the potential for landslides/mudslides.

That should push KAVL over the top for the wettest year on record.  I don't mind the liquid...the 9" from a few days ago has quickly turned to ice that I keep falling on (head first, twice lol).  It needs to go away. 

I really don't get my spot forecasts sometimes....

Today

Showers, mainly before 3pm. Patchy fog before 3pm. High near 58. South wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Some say it's because it's computer generated. Well, buy a better computer.

Looks like KAVL now around 5"; wettest year on record :( .  Thankfully the rain is fairly light at the moment.

:raining:

Just got a robocall from the City of Asheville about flooding and urging caution with the usual don't drive around barricades message.  I think that is the first I have ever received about flooding.

A rather extensive list of flooded roadways in WNC can be found on the WLOS site at the link below:

https://wlos.com/news/local/friday-weather-update-extreme-rain-causes-flooding-road-closure-updates-here