• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

One other thing and slightly off-topic but a topic that has been discussed here before.  The highest elevation home in North Carolina is currently for sale. (Unless you consider a ranger station a home..then it would be the one on Mt. Mitchell.)  It is a weather observer's dream home! Enjoy! http://carolinamountainproperties.net/search/mountain-property/north-carolina/jackson/beautiful-cabin-located-at-6000ft-elevation-for-sale-sylva/983124

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeGold said:

One other thing and slightly off-topic but a topic that has been discussed here before.  The highest elevation home in North Carolina is currently for sale. (Unless you consider a ranger station a home..then it would be the one on Mt. Mitchell.)  It is a weather observer's dream home! Enjoy! http://carolinamountainproperties.net/search/mountain-property/north-carolina/jackson/beautiful-cabin-located-at-6000ft-elevation-for-sale-sylva/983124

I know a man that lives in a homemade cabin full time at 6200 ft on the old Wison property in Pensacola in southern Yancey County. Totally off grid, no generator, no solar, nothing. He digs gensing for money and only comes to town about 6 times a year. Just talked to him this summer.

• Like 1

Mountain crew great job with this storm and the storm obs. It was a great storm to come back to and it was great to share with all of you. We have a unique mountain community and I am proud to be apart of it! Ever since I started the mountain thread I would have never imagined it growing to the likes it is currently.  Keep up the great work gang!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I know a man that lives in a homemade cabin full time at 6200 ft on the old Wison property in Pensacola in southern Yancey County. Totally off grid, no generator, no solar, nothing. He digs gensing for money and only comes to town about 6 times a year. Just talked to him this summer.

Interesting! I don't think the property is actually quite the high based on the topo maps that I looked at of that area when I researched the topic previously but will look again especially as I was looking at actual homes/subdivisions, not necessary more rustic means of living.   I know that certainly is one of the few areas where there are people living above mile in elevation.  I'm sure he must be a really interesting fellow and would no doubt have some good stories to tell!  I do know there are some private properties that are in holdings along the Blue Ridge parkway just South of Mt.Mitchell at 6000 feet but don't believe there are anybody living there. This is different area from Pensacola but not that far away.  Thanks!  (Edit:  As a follow-up I couldn't find where this gentlemen might live.  All the property at 6000 feet or above in that area is owned by the National Forest Service, the Conservation Fund, Mt. Mitchell State Park, or the Hemlock Campground holdings...no private holdings.  I suspect if he is indeed living at that elevation, it probably isn't legal?!(aka Alaska Bush People?) :)  Source.  Yancey Co GIS system.)  

6 hours ago, MikeGold said:

Don,

You definitely deserve a prize! :)  The NWS Facebook page has a map showing the 34" inch total there. I noted that there was 30" snow depth recorded on the ground this morning at Mt Mitchell in the daily climate report.  FYI...if you look in the comments section, you will see some comments I made on how they are depicting snowfall amounts in the Plott Balsams.  Let us just say I think they can do better...they didn't like that but I feel they did carefully consider what I had to say and perhaps future maps will be more accurate because of it? :) (It should be noted that climate data isn't actually from the top of Mt. Mitchell but from the ranger station about 400 feet lower down the mountain.  Winds are always stronger at the top and more snowfall but nobody is crazy enough to try to measure it up there! :) )  

What do you think will be the MAX snowfall amount in the @NWSGSP forecast area w/ this winter storm? (Feel free to reply w/ WHERE you think it might be!) Note, we cover 46 counties in W NC, Upstate SC & NE GA: https://www.weather.gov/images/gsp/gsp_cwfa.gif  #ncwx #scwx #gawx #wncwx #cltwx #gspwx #avlwx

•  

Replying to @NWSGSP

33" @MtMitchellStPk Extra credit.....45mph winds at times!

6:58 PM - 7 Dec 2018
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeGold said:

Interesting! I don't think the property is actually quite the high based on the topo maps that I looked at of that area when I researched the topic previously but will look again especially as I was looking at actual homes/subdivisions, not necessary more rustic means of living.   I know that certainly is one of the few areas where there are people living above mile in elevation.  I'm sure he must be a really interesting fellow and would no doubt have some good stories to tell!  I do know there are some private properties that are in holdings along the Blue Ridge parkway just South of Mt.Mitchell at 6000 feet but don't believe there are anybody living there. This is different area from Pensacola but not that far away.  Thanks!  (Edit:  As a follow-up I couldn't find where this gentlemen might live.  All the property at 6000 feet or above in that area is owned by the National Forest Service, the Conservation Fund, Mt. Mitchell State Park, or the Hemlock Campground holdings...no private holdings.  I suspect if he is indeed living at that elevation, it probably isn't legal?!(aka Alaska Bush People?) :)  Source.  Yancey Co GIS system.)  

You'd be surprised how many people live on what call they "govment" land. There have always been locals that will drift off into subsistence living. I'm sure the Park Service is aware that people do this and will throw them out when they stumble upon them. But this a really remote county, you can get lost here if you want too. I'm sure it's harder now than it use to be with more flatlanders moving in.

You can hike from Murchison up to Mt. Mitchell. It's not marked and you have to cross a lot of private land, but I've hiked it several times, mostly when I was young. There are places in there going up that side of the Blacks that I bet nobody has ever set foot on. This guy lives somewhere up towards Craig on the old Wilson property. 

11 hours ago, Met1985 said:

I didn't take this picture but my Aunt did early yesterday morning.  Thought it was a beautiful pic of the barn and landscape. 

FB_IMG_1544457747498.jpg

It is a nice photo. you may like the original better but I took a moment to remove the blue cast.  Cameras often have trouble with white balance in snow scenes.

orig.jpg

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Hi All.  Just a quick update.  We are 60 hours now without power or internet.  Tree damage is extensive.  What a storm!

4 minutes ago, MaggyNoLia said:

Finally  got a cell signal. No power since Saturday 11 p.m. here in Lake Lure. I received a good ten inches or more here. Sunday night we had more of a slushy mix than snow.

Yeah I have had some friends who may not get power back on until Thursday afternoon at best because of the downed trees and extensive powerline damage.

Couldn't chase Sat night because of family obligations, so we left out of GA on Sunday morning, and headed up through Clayton toward Asheville. In hindsight probably should have gone up 85 and then to Asheville and maybe could have seen some falling before lunch.   So we were between the front end and back end, and had to get back Sunday night.  Saw snow on the ground soon as I crossed the county line out of Lumpkin co.  Waynesville was lot of snow, and Asheville was beautiful.  We walked all around and even found a place open to eat pizza, so not too bad.   Even though nothing falling from the sky, decided to go home via Hendersonville and I 85 cause had seen they got hit pretty hard . (didn't have time to head toward Beech/Boone).  Stopped at Ingles in H-ville and the snow piles were crazy. Kids got to play in the fresh snow there and sled a bit. They all said it was the deepest they'd ever walked in, so that was good.   it was like cement. I would have loved to see that come down.  I am about to write a break up letter to snow, cause seems i just can not re-create that 18 inches i experienced in the second grade.  But its my fault, not the snow.  One day, One day, I am going to get in a two footer.  I may have to retire first.   But I did just want to say congrats to all in this thread, cause I enjoy following and reading all winter long, and am happy that I think most of you got a widespread hammering.  Here's to hoping for more of the same as we get into the heart of winter.   One thing I really enjoyed was watching this thing modeled way out on the FV3, and not really believing it, and wondering if this new model was just crazy, or this was just good timing for it to make its winter debut. 

• Like 2

Ride up to newfound gap and you'll have a much better shot. That said the models have kinda backed off the wraparound snow as of the 12z runs. We'll see though.

I’ll be in Maggie Valley this weekend. Is there an outside chance at some snow showers on the backend Saturday? Not sure how these things usually play out in the high country. Very borderline. Looks like rain to me. Maybe someone can chime in 
  • Thanks 1

I got to 36 degrees today but after last night's cold, this snow has locked up like cement. Tried to take a little walk today but you can't get through it. This is the type of stuff that would stay around forever if the temps were right. It's pretty much off the roads but the ice was rough almost all day in some areas. I've got an ice cycle hanging off one of my sheds that's about 4 ft. long and a good 2 ft. thick. I'm going shoot it with a shotgun tomorrow to see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I got to 36 degrees today but after last night's cold, this snow has locked up like cement. Tried to take a little walk today but you can't get through it. This is the type of stuff that would stay around forever if the temps were right. It's pretty much off the roads but the ice was rough almost all day in some areas. I've got an ice cycle hanging off one of my sheds that's about 4 ft. long and a good 2 ft. thick. I'm going shoot it with a shotgun tomorrow to see what happens.

Lol you need to take a picture of that. You ain't kidding about this being like cement.  It's like one huge block of ice.